So tell me about high speed driving ?

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3288 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

Ok so now I have this machine that can do (supposedly) 140 MPH and on a weekly basis I'm now working a few days a week in Brixham so have 80 miles to cover to get there. A30 to Bodmin and A38 through Plymouth and beyond.

I like going fast like the next man and certainly the A30 from Bodmin to Truro is pretty much deserted after 7PM on a Thursday.

Once again last week cruising at 160 Kph (100 Mph) sustained is good going and pretty pleasant on the FJ.

So on a straight and quiet stretch ...... ok lets see what this thing can do ...... but at 190 (195) Kph/118 Mph the influence of the wind just gets too much and uncomfortable and starts bobbing your head and body around and just renders the experience not worth doing.

Apart from crawling under my fuel filler cap how do you guys deal with that?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye dutch" once over the ton, its get behind the faring ,buffeting is a pure bast,d, you"l find out if your helmet fits too, :eusa_shifty:

in my case, with the windshield the problems start at 110 mph. the windscreen just can`t deal with that speed and I get all the wind in my face. anyway, I was never able to get over 115 lol. how I deal? if I really need to keep this speed, i`m hiding under windshield. if not, I just release the f throttle :)) anyway, in UK never get over 100 so, is still very comfortable. the C3 PRO help a lot with the noises and the windshield is still doing his job.

I bought the touring screen for mine from the FJ owners club, made all the difference and you could do over a hundred without your head getting pulled off. It only adds a small flip up at the top but it really makes the bike handle better and gets rid of the wind up your nose problem. You do have to hunch down but who wants to be sitting up at 110 mph ?

The basic thing is if your riding on the motorway with the wind behind you it's fast and comfortable, but if you are riding into the wind it's a struggle. If you are riding with a cross wind it's dangerous.

I was on the M5 going south years ago with a cross wind and couldn't even overtake a lorry.

Don't have a problem with it, myself.
I do slouch into it a bit, but I don't really crouch over the tank so much.

Then again, years of riding a Dragstar above 100mph where you're as much of a wind trap as a kite has probably strengthened everything.

• Like 1

Here's a thought.

Stay under 90.

Its the reason i traded down to a 250 from a 600.

I was finding myself riding faster and faster untill i was finding the limiter in top on my fav roads on my old 600. That was 40% faster than your talking about.

I figured i would run out of luck or talent ( pretty easy on that last one), so now have a 90mph max personal limit.

Bike does not like more for more than a mad moment either.

i was finding the limiter in top on my fav roads on my old 600. That was 40% faster than your talking about.

You miss my point. I'm not planning to drive 140Mph 24/7 anywhere, and am well aware of 'my' limits.

Colleague of mine was boasting that he was 'cruising' at 120 Mph sustained. Given the amount of buffeting I find that hard to believe on any bike.

Btw 118 x 1.4 = 165 Mph = 265 Kph. What 600 cc'er was that if I may ask?

I'm still 'learning' about an FJ after 25 years on an, as good as naked, XJ-650 and there's still a lot of things I don't know.

It was a suzuki tuned to over100 bhp at the rear wheel and showed on the dyno as maxed at around a 150.

Ear plugs and practice to deal with the buffetting and a helmet that fits.

Fairing helps but its ultimately down to how strong your neck is.

I still say keep it down is best. Too many camera's.

• Like 1

I did 145 on a mates zzr1100 my head was bobbing around and my fillings fell out. :eusa_think: not sustainable :crazy: in my opinion .

Been up to 135mph on the triumph (private road of course!) that was some serious buffeting, if I had fillings I would've definitely lost them!

• Like 1

Colleague of mine was boasting that he was 'cruising' at 120 Mph sustained. Given the amount of buffeting I find that hard to believe on any bike.

Not a problem with a decent fairing. Had a BM K100 with a Pantera fairing a few years back would sit at 125 with my visor up (autobahn of course!). Current Kwak Megabus GTR1000 sits at the ton calm as anything.

I once managed an indicated 124mph on an old DT125, and all that had was a full DEP exhaust. No buffeting whatsoever... Honest mate...

:eusa_whistle::yeah:

No in truth, I'm rather dull. Hit 110 on my Tiger once, and very briefly - and I certainly knew about it. Going that fast personally isn't for me, and I wouldn't want to try anything like that on my Street. Anyway, I did install a little deflector on the OEM Tiger screen, and that made riding much more comfortable. Could sit at motorway speeds with my visor up which I wasn't able to do before, so perhaps a simple mod like that may help you with the buffeting at speed?

• Like 3

I reckon it depends on the bike, the weather and the rider!

Could sit at 130mph on a (European) motorway between (frequent) fuel stops on my old Mille and that just involved laying down over the tank bag. Very comfy for me but my pillion wasn't overly impressed... :shakeno:

• Like 1

Yeah mate, well mint innit

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online