To nod, or not to nod

sentiant
This post is 3984 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I dont nod, I'm auld fashioned and wave to everything on motorised 2 wheelers. Bikes, peds and scooters. Sometimes get dispondent when folk dont wave or nod back then I think fuck em, I've been doing it for 30 odd years and these cnuts aren't goanny spoil my ride

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To be honest I am a good nodder, but guys on Harleys fuck them, used to nod at them as well but cannot be arsed now, most are pricks on those pieces of pig iron

Always always always nod. I had stopped for a while but when I realised I'd become one of the ignorant git brigade I just couldn't sleep at night. My only exception is Harley riders - do those people EVER smile??? Although I'm thinking of adding friggin GS Boorman wannabes with their shiny luggage and matching BMW underpants......but I'm trying to be gracious. We'll see how this week goes.

I nod to everyone I pass on two wheels and a motor (even pizza bikes), everyone had to start small. I started on a 50 scooter and still remember the great feeling I got the first time a 'Big Bike' nodded at me.

• Like 1

I don't give a shite if they nod or wave back, I always nod and wave if I can, only time its a bit difficult is if I am in the middle of a gear change.... or some other manoeuvre... I even wave at other bikers when I am in my cage...

I'm also with the majority on this one and nod whenever I see a two wheeler. I try to avoid nodding riders not wearing full gear and that's only because they tend to be your chavy cocknose rider who haven't really given much thought about proper riding. For those that don't nod back, I try to make it less embarrassing - just in-case the person behind me was watching - by nodding to the opposite side to make it look like I was doing some crazy mirror check or just clearing my ears.

I remember when I got my first nod. It was my first time on the XT and I was riding home from the MOT centre. Stopped at the traffic light and I see a Kawasaki (2up) on the other side and I was looking at them the whole time, must have been pretty awkward for them but I wasn't really sure how to react. I was just excited to see another motorcycle. Lights change to green and as we pass, one of them nodded. I knew it was some sort of greeting signal but I wasn't really aware of the whole 'motorcyclist nod' thing so I just waved lol. When I got home, the first thing I did was search online about the nod I got and that's when I found out it's an actual thing. I was pretty happy that day and told everyone about it.

Discovering this unspoken gesture got me really excited about riding and that there are riders out there who acknowledge your passion for riding... a mutual connection with a total stranger. This is why I nod at learners, hoping to pass on that feeling of being part of something special.

ALWAYS NOD.......even in busy traffic i just nod but don't actually make eye contact (too busy making sure the prick infront don't stomp on that bloody middle pedal and send me into a world of pain!). If they are in a situation to see that i have nodded then they'll be happy and even if they don't notice i at least did my part as a member of the biker fraternity! They may well have nodded back at me but they might have just ignored me and thought fuck that prick......i don't know and it doesn't matter to me, i did the right thing.....and you know it ;)

Yep, nobody nods in London, plenty do as soon as you get out in any direction. I don't bother nodding in London as nobody else does, unless it's a fellow Jap cruiser, they tend to acknowledge. Harley riders never nod back regardless of where you are so sod 'em. I use the side nod, can't mistake it for anything else...

Always nod, unless im busy laying down some serious rubber, then its eyes on the road.

its mostly the ones riding beaten-up old winter hacks that return the nod, not these fair weather wankers

• Like 1

Always nod, unless im busy laying down some serious rubber, then its eyes on the road.

its mostly the ones riding beaten-up old winter hacks that return the nod, not these fair weather wankers

Amen to that!

I always nod, i see a chap every day when i ride home from work i used to always nod at him and he never nodded back but he made eye contact.....................so now i stick my fingers up at him and he dose the same, so they are capable of returning a nod/the verb

haha that made me smile - good one :eusa_doh:

During the winter every bike I seen gave the nod but a lot of the fair weather lot don't bother I'm not sure if if it because I'm on a small bike and they don't think I'm worthwhile ? But it don't bother me I ride my bike nearly every day not like the sun shine brigade. So if I give the nod to someone and and they don't do it back they get they get a fuck ya then LOL

• Like 1

I never got a nod in 6 years of riding my 50cc twist and go. The first time out on my SR (cold, wet and loving every minute) I passed at least 6 proper bikers and they all nodded. I got home and told the wife about all my new friends!!

Unless its a chavvy teenager I nod at everything on 2 wheels with an engine - even when when in a car!!

My daughters memories of coming on the back of the bike when we got to where we were going was "Why do you keep nodding your head dad?"

I always nod 9/10 I get one back and you can tell a fair weather rider a mile off lacking the capability to nod

when some one doesn't nod I feel like its the L plates and the thought of 'your not a real biker'

the fist on the helmet iv seen and used

even a bloke in a 4x4 waved and gave a wave and fist on head and sure enough I droped back to 30 and get round the bend

and theres sat a 2 5-0 waiting to snare

also if I see some poor sod pushin there 2 wheels and I got time ill pull over and offer to help

usually they out of petrol, I carry 1lt petrol tank in my bag for emergency's so they suddenly cheer up