To nod, or not to nod

sentiant
This post is 3974 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good afternoon all, i hope your all getting your fair share of this sun at the moment.

I have noticed recently that there seems to be a lack of "The Nod" greetings between bikers. Has anyone else noticed this or is it that peeps just dont like us cruiser types ;) i definetly had more on my El Bandito. I have had a Leg wiggle in the past week but he might have just followed through :{

Just a thought......

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've noticed it happening less now the weather's getting nicer.

Must be all these fair weather riders!

Guess it's all down to what your riding get lots of nods when on the XJR1300 but pretty much ignored on the XT600. Also seems to me that Harley and BMW riders have lost the use of their neck muscles or consider us some lower form of life.

I've noticed it happening less now the weather's getting nicer.

Must be all these fair weather riders!

I have noticed exactly the same as you. Rode through winter and pretty much everyone nodded. Great feeling.

Not enjoying the nice weather purely because it feels like its filled with rude bikers. A minority of them now nod, even though I do.

I've not ridden through a summer before - is this the norm?

Guess it's all down to what your riding get lots of nods when on the XJR1300 but pretty much ignored on the XT600. Also seems to me that Harley and BMW riders have lost the use of their neck muscles or consider us some lower form of life.

Ahh that might explain it then! I'm only on a YBR125. Guess the summer riders think I'm not worthy enough.

Saw that happen in Matlock Bath - a lad pulled up on a CG125 (no L plates) and went to talk with a fellow biker who took one look at his bike and sort of sarcastically smiled and shunned him. Seemed a shame.

I have noticed exactly the same as you. Rode through winter and pretty much everyone nodded. Great feeling.

Not enjoying the nice weather purely because it feels like its filled with rude bikers. A minority of them now nod, even though I do.

I've not ridden through a summer before - is this the norm?

Yeah this is my first summer too, got plenty of nods during the winter. One guy even pulled along side me and gave me directions when I hit a diversion.

Happens every year, when the Summer Butterflies come out.
Fuck 'em, miserable wankers...

However, be mindful of what they might be up to, as well. I'm an always-nodding, frequent-waving kind of rider, but even I sometimes miss the greeting window because I'm looking in the mirror or watching the road.

I always nod, i see a chap every day when i ride home from work i used to always nod at him and he never nodded back but he made eye contact.....................so now i stick my fingers up at him and he dose the same, so they are capable of returning a nod/the verb

Nod, always. You can then tell bikers from summer only riders.

The other main clue being a chromey Cruiser still caked in last year's Winter road crap! :D

• Like 1

during the winter I can say I get the nod from 95% of bikers, and 2-3% i`m sure was busy looking on the road so they miss me, I don`t know how is during the summer because that will be first for me... but I guess is a lot of casual riders now and of course the number of bikers on the road its huge, most are busy with the trafic, others assholes and some just don`t know. (but after you see 10 people giving you a nod, if you are not retard you start ask yourself why all raiders give you the nod)... ok, take me 9 times, i`m not so smart :))

I found waving helped, as it's more obvious.

If it's a straight nod they could just be looking down at their clocks, if it's a side tip that could be checking a wing mirror.

If they're bouncing up and down, waving a hand and giving thumbs up, it's pretty clear!!

If they're flapping the right hand up and down on an extended arm, as if they're patting a gnome on the head, slow down - There's likely a hazard around the corner that they're warning you about.

If they point up and to the side, that's Speed Camera Ahead.

If they put a fist atop their head (or similar) that means there's a cop ahead.

I always nod, although less often if it's a scooter. What can I say? I'm a bit of a snob. Any bike though. I got plenty of nods from big bikes when I was on my 125. In bad weather I'll nod to damn-near anything moving that's not got a roof.

Was in the car a couple of weeks ago, and out of sheer habit nodded at a biker coming the other way. He gave me a positively confused nod back, but I guess he worked out I was just a caged biker :)

........................and if they blow you a kiss?

Stop and get a number?

........................and if they blow you a kiss?

I'm led to understand this to be motorcycling vernacular for, "Take the tassles and studded leather off yer pansy-pink bike, ya feckin' sissy!!", sir...

fry%2Bas%2Bjeeves%2B2.jpg

• Like 2

I have stooped nodding at other bikers until they nod at me first. I kept nodding with no nod back and it made me feel a right idiot.

New to all this and love being in the nodding club so always do it (also slightly less to scooters and learners definitely not pizza bikes), except when you go through passport control on the A3 and enter the land called London where it seems no-one nods, possibly as you'll have a neck ache in ten minutes coz there is millions of bikes :)

I never thought of about the fair weather riders, a good point. It's a great feeling when you get a little comraderie (sp) from a fellow biker, much like my days in the old vdub camper although that was usually mad waving.

I have stooped nodding at other bikers until they nod at me first. I kept nodding with no nod back and it made me feel a right idiot.

sorry for having another pop grouch but I just can't resist

I always nod but not to people on mountain bike's :biglaugha: