Whats your time worth?

dt502001
This post is 4173 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently I watched a thred that poised the ? Is it better to do it yourself or pay?

Big can of worms you answer!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends on what you're doing. :eusa_shifty:

I try to do as much as i can my self, normal just read the Haynes manwell the night before, then when the day comes to do the work i have my tool box, trusty Haynes book, bottle of JD and my tobacco and just get cracking. At least then you learn some stuff and it gets you away from the wife for a few hours

For me its diy first every time.

Born out of being skint for the most part. Kids, morgage, yawn...

Same for everybody i suppose but if i can do something myself then i'm winning. I have done wifeys timing chain on her car twice now. (known fault on nissan almeras) cost me under 60quid each time. At a garage its 600 minimum.

All i had was my kit and a haynes manual.

Another vote for DIY.

Although it is easier if you have alternative transport to use as you then don't have to get it finished or you can't get to work the next day.

Always try DIY first, on all things, decorating/gardening/mechanics/building. Built my own garage in the 90s, brick built with pitched and tiled roof own design and drawings for planning foundations, the lot. 12 week night school course on brick laying, and books from the local library on brick bonding/trench work, roof structures etc. Took 2 years as I kept running out of cash (2 young ones then), but probable the most satisfying piece of work I've ever done. Cost 3 grand for materials in the early 90s, would have cost 6 grand+ to have had the builders in.

Sadly, seems to attract all of the stuff that no one uses anymore but can't bear to chuck away, cant get any of the cars in, but both bikes are in with plenty of room for hydraulic platform and working area/tools/bench etc.

Sanctuaryyyyyyy

I do DIY when I can, but my knackered hands don't always give me that option.

In such cases, I have friendly mechanics who work for beer and biltong!

After 30 odd years of biking, I would advocate DIY, but if just starting out at least try and get a bloke (or gal, sorry sach) with some experience to watch and advise. You will pick up a load of experience from others.

And as said always buy a manual, although in my experience Haynes is known as the book of fairy tales as there is so much wrong info in there it beggars belief at times. If you can afford it get a proper factory workshop manual, at least you know the guys that wrote it, built your bike.

After 30 odd years of biking, I would advocate DIY, but if just starting out at least try and get a bloke (or gal, sorry sach) with some experience to watch and advise. You will pick up a load of experience from others.

+1

Although my mentors are mostly across the pond. :)

Defo DIY, it's more fun. When I lived at home I would do small things on my car, but then I had the space to mess about. I also used to help my ex out with his bikes and cars, always found it good fun.

Sadly, I don't have a garden or garage, so bike is on the road (and a main one at that), plus I don't have many tools, so I just do simple maintenance to my bike, any larger jobs I'd go to the garage. Looking forward to that changing when I can afford a house with some land! :spin2:

Looking forward to that changing when I can afford a house with some land! :spin2:

Can I come round and explore your huuuuuuuge.... tracts of land? ;)

diy all the way but know your limits

sometimes its better to take a knowlegable friend out for a couple of pints "on you" when you are stuck and ask the questions about what ever your doing get all the information you need and with any luck you might get a helping hand - works on everyone apart from my old man cos he is a lazy old tw4t...

got a lot of biker mates and one of them used to race 2 smokers so first thing i done when i got my dt was take it up to him and he advised me on tuning also offered to help me do the topened rebuild as i built him a custom pc a bit ago.

Yip D.I.Y. like cynic " cudna afford garage fees, started helping older mates at 16 , removing engines, [1970"s cars blew engines no end] i stuck to the same make,[ Viva"s] coz i knew every nut and bolt, on a sat morning after a night in pub, had a engine to shift,

Undid all bolts cable etc, stood on the inner wings , coupe of old fan belts round engine mounts , lift engine on to front pannel, then jumped on ground , bear hug, and thew old engine to the side , All before my mates appeared to fit replacement , :eusa_whistle: had her running by 11am,

The good thing is , you pick up so many tricks, i think bikes are great [ pre electonics] eo work on, as thers plenty of accessm

wiring is still a mystery, after shifting engines on the TS250, i have no headlight, and the red/white wire from rectifier is unplugged,

hve looked at 3 diagrams, and thers no socket [ red/white] for it , :eusa_think:

DIY for me as well,same reasons as most above, as for cost of time it depends on what i am doing, I always advise anyone doin g DIY on brakes etc to get someone that knows check things out , and be very careful when going back on the road

As my mechanical knowledge is limited I can only do so much. I have just booked my bike in to get the chain and sprockets replaced, a simple job I know, but I am very busy with work and Uni and if anything were to go wrong I would be without transport. I could save myself £50 labour, which I am a bit pissed off about. I've never done that particular job before, but I would have a go and most likely pull it off.

In the future though I am going to do simple jobs like that myself.

Always diy myself, iv never had a garage do any work for me as 1.Its too expensive and 2.I dont trust other people working on my bike.

Haynes manual, youtube and taking your time always seems to work for me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online