Time for a change or an addition

Campaman
This post is 2634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Currently got the 650 Dragstar which I have enjoyed but I am now hankering back to what I would call a normal bike.

The wife doesn't find the Draggy's pillion perch very comfortable over distance so her wants are better pillion seat and ideally some lockable luggage that can take two helmets and possibly our jackets.

My wants on top of hers are full fairing for better weather protection and more oomph.

Any one got any suggestions on what to start looking at based on experience? Doesn't have to be Yamaha as I may keep the Draggy as a summer run around.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
19 hours ago, Campaman said:

The wife doesn't find the Draggy's pillion perch very comfortable over distance so her wants are better pillion seat and ideally some lockable luggage that can take two helmets and possibly our jackets.

My wants on top of hers are full fairing for better weather protection and more oomph. Any one got any suggestions on what to start looking at based on experience?

I used to be a Drag Queen like you... then I took an arrow in the knee. :lol:

Do what I did - Listen to the Mrs whining about pillioning on your 650 Dragstar, get fed up with it, swap the Dragstar for an FJ1200, start enjoying life again!!

Apparently the 3CV is the best model variant, but the 3XW is awesome. Don't worry if it's the non-ABS version, it's usually broken these days anyway. 

• Like 4

All depends if you want to go big really, a great big lump of a bike might be comfortable but they do take the fun out of corners, trip to Squires showed me that a little 2T (!) bike can show my giant up anytime on the twisty stuff. Jason (CYNIC) whipped round them and I rumbled/wallowed along behind? :lol:

PS mind you we were doing 80+ at the time !!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

I used to be a Drag Queen like you... then I took an arrow in the knee. :lol:

Do what I did - Listen to the Mrs whining about pillioning on your 650 Dragstar, get fed up with it, swap the Dragstar for an FJ1200, start enjoying life again!!

Apparently the 3CV is the best model variant, but the 3XW is awesome. Don't worry if it's the non-ABS version, it's usually broken these days anyway. 

Listen to the wise one !!! 

Excellent advice there ;)

1 hour ago, slice said:

All depends if you want to go big really, a great big lump of a bike might be comfortable but they do take the fun out of corners .......a little 2T (!) bike can show my giant up anytime on the twisty stuff.....and I rumbled/wallowed along behind? :lol:

Yeah right, now go on a 250 mile trip and see who arrives a bit fresher ........... and yer getting on a bit Slice ..... NTTAWWT :ph34r:

• Like 2

depending of your budget... my xv1900 is very comfortable for both, rider and pillion with standard seats. the main problem after I jump from 950 to 1900 is the mileage/tyres... 5000. is easier to control it than the FJ1200 even she have over 60 kg over FJ. xvs950 standard seats are crap, if you buy a standard one, you have to change both seats. I like the look of new honda GLX goldwing but this is a lot more expensive than xv1900. I buy my xv1900 with 6000 and the bike had under  20k miles. lot of bike for the money.

More than that, Lall... 78kg!!

I think OP was looking to move away from Cruisers though - Tasselled leathers probably don't fit any more, if mine are anything to go by! :lol:

• Like 2

I'm with Ttaskmaster and Dutch on this - I love my FJ 1200.

Mentioned earlier was asking if the FJ was easy to ride - a few years ago, we were going on a week long trip to the Black Forest, but the bodywork for my wife's bike was still with the painters. So, I suggested she borrow my dad's GSX 600F for the trip.

She agreed, but at the last minute insisted she didn't want to do the journey on a "small", high-revving, bike - so I was told to ride the 600 and Liz would ride the FJ. To be honest, she'd ridden the FJ before (her best ride was a FJOC ride in the Lake District where I tagged along in the car with our youngest in his baby-seat) so had an idea of what it would be like, but even on the tight Black Forest hairpins, she loved it even more, finding it easy to handle especially low speed and she found the smooth low rpm power to be an absolute god-send.

AND no one I know has ever complained about pillion comfort on a FJ - just the opposite, too many relax totally and fall asleep on it (comfortably settled into the Givi top-box back rest) :-)

My Mrs hated the FJ for pillion lol

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I am definitely want to get away from the cruisers.

Have been looking as FJ,s and FJR,s, also had a look at a Honda ST1100, but it was a bit to old.

Not looking at new, but ideally want to get something younger than the draggy, which is a 1998

I did find the ST1100 comfy as heck, but old and odd handling...
Age really not so much a factor with FJs, unless you want fancy modern versions of things like speedos.

Been doing a bit of research on the suggestions so far and its given me more possibilities than the Honda's and BMW's I was looking at.

Need to find a few bike shops now as I took a ride out to our local one World Of Bikes in Corby yesterday to find its gone, now replaced by a company called Auto Union selling prestigious, performance and classic cars and bikes, £19,995 for a Ducati 916....

That's the way mate, find a good bike shop and ride them all. One thing I did was make sure I bought a stock bike rather than something someone had bolted all sorts of shit to, figured I wanted the stuff on it that I wanted not someone else's after thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried a Trophy, found it too bulky around the fairing, the FJR was nice and ticked most of the boxes but in the end I picked up a Honda ST1300 Pan European last Saturday.

The Honda just felt a bit smoother and handled better round tight bends and in traffic than the FJR even though its heavier and the fairing seemed to give better hand protection from the elements, it also came with the Honda top box, heated grips, aftermarket seats and a tinted puig screen.

I have kept the Dragstar for now so still have a Yamaha as well.

• Like 2

Good for you mate, we all have different needs on our bikes if it feels right then fill yer boots! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online