How often do you clean your motor cycle?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3928 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I normally clean mine every other week or so unless the weathers good, then I find the bucket of water spills on tight bends!!

I once got my boys to clean it and I ended up with loads of tiny scratches on the tank where they'd dropped the sponge on the floor!! Still trying to T-cut them out!!

When I was a little-un I used to clean my Dads car with him, I'd clean the inside while he did the outside. I polished the steering wheel once with a load of Mr. Sheen (immaculate job might I add). He very nearly drove the car into a wall next to our drive as he was left for work the next day...

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm quite slack with this I must admit... My current bike hasn't been cleaned yet. Nearly 3000 miles since I got it. It's covered in bugs from evening rides in this glorious weather - but hey it's my all-weather workhorse so I think it's supposed to look grubby.

I do keep the chain cleaned and lubed though as we'll as a general sense check of electrics, tyres and anything obviously a-miss with the beast. Plus regular servicing, so it isn't completely neglected!

The Wr gets washed after every ride and the Bandit weekly when riding and once befor winter storage,I figuer I spent close to 20 grand on them and want to keep them as long as possible took me a while to save the money to buy them so I'm not going to let them rot away for lazieness. Also as I put in another post it gives me time to check the bike over and I have never had a road side problem ,you can't properly lube a dirty chain ,alowing dirt to build up will find it's way into seals and bearings causing them to wear faster.

Besides I get alot of complements when asked how old my bikes are and I tell peeps that they are 01 models,typicaly ' wow it looks alot newer than that". Or ' realy it looks new"

I don't want a electric bike and all the new bike are so i'll be keeping the bikes I have,no chance of fixing a injector/fuel pump problem at the side of the road/trail.

My bikes might not be as fast as new models but plenty fast enough for me and each bike has been tweeked to my taste so i take care of them ,and they never let me down and part of taking care of them IMO is keeping them clean

Do mine when they start to look a bit grubby, works out about 5 to 6 weeks or so. Blast em with cold water from the hose, spray on on of the muc-off type cleaners, make coffee, come back and blast it all off with the jet washer. Switch compressor on and blow off all excess water, rag dry, wax up next day

Follow up with ACF 50 all over the carbs/chain/swingarms and all exposed fasteners

Check lights/brakes/tyres (additional to weekly), charge batts

I know, sad old twat, but to me they are an investment as well as commuting tools and fun to ride

Dragstar - Never, really. Quick scrub-off of all the muck and a rinse down. Might get a bit of Autosol to polish out the rust spots, but they're getting bigger, so I rarely bother.

FJ - Whenever I do stuff to it and my hands come away blackened with crap.

I'm quite slack with this I must admit... My current bike hasn't been cleaned yet. Nearly 3000 miles since I got it. It's covered in bugs from evening rides in this glorious weather - but hey it's my all-weather workhorse so I think it's supposed to look grubby.

I do keep the chain cleaned and lubed though as we'll as a general sense check of electrics, tyres and anything obviously a-miss with the beast. Plus regular servicing, so it isn't completely neglected!

:yeahthat:

Apart from fewer miles and am now a fair weather biker. Quite keen on the metallic blue/dust look...

• Like 1

Next to never, great thing about a pure black bike it never looks clean. if im feeling kind i may spray some WD40 over it but thats about it.

I clean and polish my bike some like 1-2 times/week and every time after riding in rain.

F*** that. That's just too much like hard work. Especially on a 'star with all that chrome.

theirs a lot of lazy bastards amongst us. :eusa_think:

Says that man who asks the service man to wash it :razz:

Great stuff a lot of answers whole load of work goes into cleaning my bike lol. wash and jet spray mine then wipe down polish and lube up where necessary as often as it gets dirty and maybe some more but overall I feel proud I have a clean bike.but some do say I clean to much that I might wash the paint off.lol.cheers.

Every couple of weeks (if I can be bothered). I drive to work in all weather so it's gonna get dirty no matter what I do.

Give it a wee safety check every couple of rides though.
My 2 year likes grabbing a cloth and polishing the shiny bits every time she's near it, so who am I to argue with her.

When the weather is nice i dont mind going out to clean the bikes but otherwise, once every few months maybe, rarely clean the fireblade as A: it never gets used any more :( and B: theres a stray cat on the base somewhere who on many occasions i have seen licking the dead bugs off the fairing... i cant deny a poor hungry kitty a tasty bit of dinner can i?...

Great stuff a lot of answers whole load of work goes into cleaning my bike lol. wash and jet spray mine then wipe down polish and lube up where necessary as often as it gets dirty and maybe some more but overall I feel proud I have a clean bike.but some do say I clean to much that I might wash the paint off.lol.cheers.

your a puffta.

Well I've just spent nearly 2 hours washing and polishing my bike and have another 2 hours while the Mrs is at work to give my helmet a good buffing!

• Like 1

Someone had to lower the tone :shakeno:

• Like 1