Breakdown relay? RANT!!!

NE0
This post is 3403 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ever had to use breakdown relay? if so who have you used and were they successful?

Had a chance myself to find out when my bike would not start in that heavy rain last night..........and I ended up getting myself home at 1.30 am................ Don't worry I've been on the phone this morning!!!!!!

I'm with the AA and have breakdown with Relay, except they used a 3rd party company, who had no means to take the bike home .......or me!....and now I have to go back to work (where I left it) and get her home.

They've offered to come out again but I'm so F********* off, I don't want anything more to do with them today. Probably hasty words but when you've only had a few hours sleep thats what happens!!!!

RANT over!

:rant:

Does anyone recommend an alternative that will get you home? or is the reality of it:-

its fine for car breakdowns but not really for bikes even though its included!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes, twice.

Puncture on the TS - used the free one that comes with a bank account but it it limited to 10 miles.

RD- not recovered but fixed at the roadside with the recovery option. Used the one that comes with the bikesure insurance.

Car broke down 3 weeks ago, called the AA, they were there in 10 minutes and towed me home all inside an hour. Broke down on the bike, they arrived in 2 hours called a truck and I got home 7 hours later with a 4 hour wait for the truck, so yes they don't like bikes and make it difficult for you to call them out but they sure are quick to tell you if your subscription is about to run out !!

Used AA twice (once as a Noob, once when bike utterly karked it).

Roadside repair is good, recovery not so much as it's usually a 3rd party - They had a flatbeddy-thingy for cars, but he got the bike on and correctly secured easy enough. Knew what he was doing at least...

Got the bike back home, friend shoved it in the back of his Transit, (still wouldn't start when I went back to it)

Took it apart at home , rainwater in the carb float chamber was the cause of all the problems.

Last night it was raining so hard and the wind was really blowing, unfortunatley the rain cover got partly blown off exposing the engine and carb, a good deal of soaking later and she refused to start thereafter.

I can only assume the water got in via the the throttle slide top and down the needle into the float chamber.

Once it was cleaned and dried out it started 2nd kick, just like it did yesterday morning when I went to work.

I used Carol Nash breakdown for a puncture, waited an hour (in the pub)

Mike broke down 3 times to NW200 and waited about an hour for each one too

I see no advantage in staying with the AA, so I think I'll give someone else a go at renewal in Aug next year.

If I cancel now they keep the money.!

my main advantage with the AA is the fact im covered for any car/bike even as a passenger or pillion.

they fucked the front of my car up last time I used them though and they wouldn't put it right as I had signed a so called cop out waiver .

I thought that was a main advantage to Upyours, but i also thought that paying for relay meant I'd get home instead of chaining my bike up and calling my wife to get out of bed at gone 1 am in the morning, didn't get home till 1.45 am. Alarm went off at 6am to get back up!! I feel like SH*t now!

I get free breakdown recovery with my insurance (MCE) within a ten mile limit. I have only used it once when my rear wheel bearings went. Luckily I was just inside the ten mile limit. I think it took them around two hours to come. Then the cunt said he hadn't eaten so we had to go to a subway for half an hour. Cheeky bastard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When my RD stopped a few months ago I was in the middle of nowhere, luckily I had a couple of bottles of flavoured water and a couple of bags of haribos to chomp on. Note to self - get some haribos to put under the seat.

Good luck and hope it can be fixed cheaply.

GEM Motoring assist.

Its £75 a year, but that covers me on a personal policy in everything i drive/ride/passenger. it paid for itself last year when i was towing my project caravan down from the midlands and the brakes got hot (sticking on), rang them up and 15 minutes later a local breakdown company came out, dragged my caravan onto a low loader and said theyd see me at Odiham (destination) in the morning, most of our family use them aswell and never had any problems

Am dumping the AA this year, slow to respond,,and same as Grouch"o after loaded he needed to take his break, the lazy fker been sitting in laybay doing fk all all morning, [ I asked if he"d been busy]]

I've got a family policy from GEM Motoring Assist. Used once last year when my Astra fried it's ECU. 30 minute wait and kept up to speed via text updates.Wife called them out to a puncture on the M6 and again only waited 35 minutes.

Sounds good,, is that bike & car cover, also whole of UK . cover, that 10 mile shite I"v read is gash, :eusa_snooty:

I have no idea what is the company will come for breakdown in my case but I have full UK and EU breakdown cover included in my insurance policy. I think this is the best way. I pay at my insurance an extra of 69 pounds for this

Sounds good,, is that bike & car cover, also whole of UK . cover, that 10 mile shite I"v read is gash, :eusa_snooty:

Bike and car, as the cover attaches to the policy holder it covers you in whatever vehicle you are in or on. I've got the Home Assistance option which covers you from home, otherwise you are covered anywhere in UK from more than 1/4 mile from home. I've found them very helpful, they gave my Vito Dualiner the thumbs up as a people carrier when all the other recovery services wanted to class it as a commercial vehicle.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online