Riding in the rain

Nathan0834
This post is 3507 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, Again, another noob question. I know some people don't ride in the winter months, but due to commuting, I will have to.

So, what advise do you guys give to a newbie in the rain. Are there particular things that are deceivingly slippy on the road etc etc.

Also, what about maintenance, is there anything i should be making sure i do on a regular basis to help the bike though the winter?

:)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Drain covers are right bastards to run over when your cornering in fact anything made of metal that sits in the road is to be avoided if you can, wash your bike with soap and water if you want to keep it tidy and re-sellable especially if they grit, not that you will do much riding in the ice and snow I should think. unless you are particularly brave! I used to ride through the winter but I'm to bloody old now to even think about getting on a bike in mid winter. Your best to buy the very best jacket and trousers you can afford plus a snood for your neck and a nice toasty helmet and a descent pair of gloves. Others on here are riding through the year so they will have more advice I'm sure that will keep you safe out there.

What Slice said plus road markings get slippy. Use the rear brake more, it isn't as effective as the front but it's easier to correct if you lock the brakes up.

Gear wise, you will waste a fortune on cheap gear over the years. Make sure you have winter gloves and try and get goretex stuff. Add it to your Christmas and birthday lists. It is expensive but so much better in the rain. Heated grips help but not enough. Unless you ride in welly boots, carry a pair of socks in case your riding ones get wet.

wear undergarments, layered clothing is better than one thick one.

use that visor spray inside the helmet visor as it will steam up real quick.

heated grips are good too if you have the amps

As the boys say, White lines, drain covers and wet leaves. Look well ahead and plan your braking, keeping it gentle (obviously unless forced to do otherwise). Extra attention during low light or worse still, low winter sun.

Buy the best kit your budget allows and wrap up well

Washing your bike will allow you to keep an eye on its overall condition, regarding chain wear, blown bulbs, loose bolts etc. Enjoy it, its all part of your rites of passage.

Yeah, I invested in a decent jacket with thermal lining etc etc. Got some waterproof trousers to wear over the top. Semi Decent gloves to see how i get on, may get some warmer ones. Socks is a good shout, Will have to make sure about that. I have a snoot on order, so thats on its way.

Chain wise, extra lubing? Heard lots of things about ACF 50? worth buying, does it need regular coating or once every now and again.

Bike wise, it is more about getting it though the winter in as good condition as i can to resell after by full tests.

As above buddy, keep your throttle nice and smooth IE no ON / OFF throttle control haha. and again nice smooth braking with a keen eye on whats going on up in front so you can judge your braking accordingly. drains and meatl crap are a no go zone but if you do have to go over them then your be fine if your already up right but if you are leaning over then just ride it out, the bike will find the grip once its slipped but this is once of them 50/50 things and will go eihter way.

Another thing to look out for is the death rainbow (diesel) again if you see the stuff normally on round abouts, out side petrol stations etc then try and avoid it.

ACF50 i heard is great stuff and only needs to be re-applied after washing (just not on your brakes)

Gear wise, always carry a change of cloths in a ruck sack but also pack them in a platic bag to make sure they are dry, gortex gear is bloody marvolous but comes at a price, heated grips plus bar muffs will keep your hands nice warm and dry. As for winter gloves these things are pretty bladdy think so make sure you buy ones that you can still move your fingers and you can still feel your controls. get a pair of long johns (lidls do them) which will keep your legs good and warm.

Avoid drain covers and painted surfaces as others have suggested, Keep your eyes open looking for puddles, possibly hiding ‘pot holes’, plan your route through without swerving or making drastic direction changes, keep a look out for ‘Rainbow’ oil stains on the road surface and avoid sudden changes of direction and heavy braking whilst traversing them, some times you can even smell spilt diesel. Petrol stations and associated road junctions can be pretty slippery, extend the distance to the vehicle in front. After a while with confidence you will probably find that the bike and its tyres will still be able to provide a reasonable level of grip, also your riding ability will probably make a big leap forward as you learn to cope, I find that for the first few miles my riding can be a bit nervy but as I get further into the ride I settle down and make pretty much the same journey times,

In February this year I got caught in a snow storm in Wolverhampton ended out on roads with a 4 to 5 inches of snow with a big drift of snow stuck to my chest, had to hide in a petrol station till it all calmed down. Focused my mind as I was on a FJR,

Can't think of anything else not already mentioned above other than other road users seem to take even less care than usual!

When the evenings get darker car drivers seem to fixate on the tail lights of the car in front so they're even less likely to spot you coming up beside them if you're filtering so if you do it, be more aware than you normally would be.

All the above are good points but if you are unsure join an advanced riding group RosPa, IAM or even the local Ride Safe is a start.

The most important thing in my opinion is concentration.

• Like 2

ACF50 is worth using, I got two tins three years ago and am still only half way through the first one, a little goes a long way.

Decent rubber. The stock tyres the YBR125 comes with are horrible, doubly so in the wet. So if you still have the Cheng Shin brand on yours I'd give some serious thought to investing in a premium brand.

+1 on good rubber and droping your tire pressure will give you a slightly larger contact area I like to run 28 psi in the rain. When I rode on bias tires I swore by metzler me33's

Another thing to look out for is the death rainbow (diesel) again if you see the stuff normally on round abouts, out side petrol stations etc then try and avoid it.

Yup, ride with all your senses switched on. Especially when the local bus has left a trail of diesel around the corner. You can smell the stuff and the moment you do reduce speed and lay off the brakes.

the moment you do reduce speed and lay off the brakes.

This bares repeating, not just on oil patches but generally in wet conditions. Control your speed with the throttle, using engine braking as much as possible, and be a lot more gentle with your brakes.

I always have with me a zippo lighter... those metal lighters with petrol (not just zippo) are very good hand warmers... anyway, if you don`t have one, the engine will help you to warm your hands... not so fast like a lighter but good enough

the visor... this is my biggest problem during the winter. so, when the winter is coming, is time for a new pinlock. the alternative is the antifog spray but you can`t use it on a visor that are antifog designated.

under 5C the road is very slippery... last winter I block 2 times the front wheel... I can`t tell you how ugly are :)) but fortunately I don`t was sleeping and I release in time the front brake.

I use a lot the engine break (not just during the winter or in wet condition)

gorotex gloves and some very good waterproof boots.

maintenance... hmm... can you say again how you do this Noise? :))

Ok here is my offering for riding in winter/wet....

Riding:

1. Ride smooth as silk.

2. Ride smooth as silk.

3. Ride smooth as silk.

...you got that..smooth as silk

Clothes:

Get warm and stay warm.

I have seen too many riders stood at the side of the road shivering because they had soaking wet clothes on. Hyperthermia causes slowing of the brain and poor decision making.

Confidence:

At home stand next to your bike and lean it over. Now try and slide the wheels sideways....its hard isn't it. When you are travelling at speed in a corner the downforce is increased so sliding is unlikely if you are ...riding smooth as silk..and you don't hit diesel, oil, deep water.

Ride defensively:

Make yourself big on the road.

Own the space you are in.

Commentate to yourself the first few times you are out on what you see and what you are doing.

Give everyone space.

And lastly don't be a dick:

Let cars overtake you if they feel the need.

Don't race from a standing start.

Don't screech to a halt.

Don't lean over in corners for the hell of it.

Don't flick the "v's" at drivers, that involves taking you're hands of the handlebars....

Enjoy it....its what we all like to do :-)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online