loud pipes or not

meatloaf
This post is 3468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

At a family do the other day the four bikers that were there got into heated debate, are loud pipes better than quiet pipes, my brother in law a rather conservative accountant who rides in London daily thinks load pipes just piss off car drivers, my son who rides a HD and myself a lover of big v twins think that loud pipes let cars know that your there, after all how many car drivers say " sorry I didn't see you" but unless they are deaf as well as blind with load pipes they at least know a bike is around.

The fouth person in the debate said " I want to be heard its safer.

Just wondered what you guys thought.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Would have to agree that louder is better, although a London commute would drone on abit. Saying that London would be an area I'd want louder pipes just to be seen/heard a bit more!

the sound is directed behind you , car drivers are in a world of their own so won't hear them.

you could put a trombone and base drum on your bike you still won't be heard.

it's all down to what you prefer ,

and fuck everyone else.

me personally , my mot guy gives me an advisory every time..

• Like 5

I'm with up.yours! I used to get MOT advisories and I am sure that when I take my current bike in I will get one too. I believe that loud pipes are just nicer. Plus it stops my mates saying "Have you turned it on!"

The only time a car driver hears you pipes is when you pass him otherwise your just another target, loud or quiet makes no difference if they are going to tag you anyway. :shakeno:

If you're in a car, windows up, cd on, insulated from the outside world you don't hear a bike if it's behind you. So I dint think it's safer. I do think however a nice throaty bass sound if a cruiser sounds a sexy as he'll!

I do think however a nice throaty bass sound if a cruiser sounds a sexy as he'll!

As sexy as he'll what, andrew, do we just fill in our own blanks

My bike gets heard before and after i get there, i love loud pipes and even more so when your filtering between cars in traffic as they most certainly know your there and it makes you feel like Moses when they split out your way.

Yes there are better ways to get you "Seen" on the road, but if Mr burbury Brap Brap in his Saxo can blare our Dr Drebble on his CD playar and pump his throttle with the beat then im having louder pipes to let the twat know im coming through

• Like 1

A decent engine with a bassy, growl that sounds like it actually means everything it's growling about does sound gorgeous...

However:

Harleys always sound ridiculous. Heard a load of different ones at the Kent Show this weekend, along with the Honda stand next door - I have to say that even the Honda Cruisers sounded better. The HDs just sounded like ranty, shouty children and most people were walking past with a look of disgust... as they made straight for the Honda stand!!

Coming home at 3am, when everyone else is trying to sleep and there is nothing around but the utter hush of the countryside, suddenly shattering all that with the BLARING ROAR of your pipes makes you realise that loud pipes are quite possibly not a good thing.

Given how no-one really cares if you're riding a big shouty-piped bike and will assume you're just another rich accountant, unless you're accompanied by twenty or so Backpatched fellow MC members, I'd much rather have a comparatively quiet bike that does the job without having to announce it to the world.

TL:DR - Loud pipes occasionally may save a life... but you can (and I do) get the job done just as well with decent riding technique.

I say this as a massive Drag Queen fan, incidentally, both of which have had VERY loud pipes at one time or another!!!

I say this as a massive Drag Queen fan, incidentally, both of which have had VERY loud pipes at one time or another!!!

LOL

Anyway. Had loud pipes and had stock pipes and the thing that sticks in my mind is the police.

My TDR is quiet i can bimble home at 3am or past livestock fine. Also i wont have plod hearing me and moving to intercept.

All loud pipes do these days is get you nicked.

• 4 weeks later...

I don`t think load pipes save any life, at high speed you will not be heard unless you pass them. at low speed I don`t think you can die and also you can avoid a lot easier the accident.. well, in most cases. also most of the accidents are happening because of both implicated... I think is about over 80% but I can be wrong because I read this long, long time ago. is sound nice when you start the engine but on a long trip can be annoying... for me will be for sure.

can be good on filtering but revs a bit my bike standard equipped is enough to make stationary or low speed traffic to hear me. I also think the load pipes will make the police looking after you... and some bike hatters. and those can cause you some discomfort in traffic. you can annoying also normal traffic users but you will be the kids nr1 attraction on the road.

at least, is just about what you feel. if you like load, put load, but helping you in any way? no.

I like loud pipes! I also like to be able to take my bike out early in the morning & come home late at night without pissing off my neighbors :razz:

Having heard two very different sets of pipes on a pair of Blackbirds this weekend, loud pipes officially suck!!

The loud ones made the bike sound like a hollow, ranty child. The quieter ones had a far more menacing tone and the bike sounds like it actually meant its animalistic growl!!

well,i'v had dragpipes on hardtail chops jap and H.D they sound great in the pub carpark but after 200miles riding theygave me a f*&^%kin headache!

I don't like overly loud pipes if I'm being honest they have to have a certain tone to them though, especially on singles and twins.

I like my exhaust to give a raspy growl rather than a loud drone... On the other hand though I would like my YZFR 125 to sound abit less like a wet fart in a bathtub!

Harleys sound rediculous every time I hear one I think it's a broken heavy earth mover with exception to the V rod muscle.

Love the sound of the Ducatis though they sound menacing even with the stock pipes.

I swapped the ones on my 1400 as hated a big bike sounding like a mouse farting and love the sound. After an assessment I did with a copper he said "your pipes are loud but not offensive, so I wouldn't pull you for them". I do find in town with pedistrians a quick blip of the throttle causes less agro than hitting the horn and still warns them not to step off the pavement.

Luckily for MOT it's down to the discretion of the tester nowdays - and my tester is deaf as a post!

... with exception to the V rod muscle...

:thumb:

No loud pipes for me thanks I like the stealth of bein able to go faster than it sounds I am going. I live close to a very popular road (very twisty) and I can hear the guys who are flying through and I am sure the cops can too.

Also my road is a link road to the beach so i get loads of bikes and big ride outs going past and when 200 F,N hardly tractors with pipes go by I have to adjust all the pictures,you would need some good ear plugs to ride with them and in a large pack they sound like shit. I can hear them 10 min befor they get here

When I was younger it didnt bother me riding with a pipe and others with pipes,now if I ride with someone with a pipe I make them ride to my left and behind me .The last thing I want to hear is the same loud drone for hours on end.

Imo the only reason to put a pipe on is if you have done everyother mod to you bike to increase the HP and the pipe is restricting it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online