Found my next bike :)

bippo
This post is 3964 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So then, I've found my next bike! Sadly it isn't a Yammy.

For some reason I almost fear saying what it is... Bikes are such a personal preference, with people having such strong views. But hey-ho... I'm getting a Tiger 800 (road going version, not the XC).

So why am I going for such a mans bike?! Ha ha!

Well simply put, I like adventure bikes. I used to pillion on my ex's Africa Twin, and there's something about them that I like. His bike had a "do it all" persona.

I looked around at Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, KTM and obviously Triumph. From previous posts, some may know I originally settled on a Kawasaki ER-6f, but changed my mind because:

1. Rode a nekked version and got a lot of vibration through the foot pegs

2. Engine didn't sound all that nice when accelerating through the gears

3. Under-slung exhaust meant no centre stand option and as I wish to tour, easy chain maintenance is a must

4. Felt I'd get bored of it quickly

5. As a popular "first big bike" insurance was a fair amount

I didn't want a bike that was too heavy, and also needed one I could put my feet down comfortably with as I'm far from an experienced rider. So without any customisation I was pleased to see that the Tiger has a standard (adjustable) seat height of 810 / 830mm. Compare this with a Kawasaki Versy 650 for example which is 845mm and its immediately accessible for me without having to buy a lower seat or getting a lowering kit. On top of this, the Tiger actually weighs the same as the ER-6f at 210kg, which for me feels manageable.

In addition to the above:

1. Plenty of accessories for touring

2. It's a bigger bike (both engine and visually) and I feel I either won't get bored of it, or it'll take me longer to do so!

3. Adventure bikes are so comfortable! A real upright position and the handlebars were in a good position for me

I appreciate that it's quite a jump to go from a 125 to 800, but I'm no speed daemon. For me, it's a bike I immediately felt comfortable on, which speak volumes.

I don't have the space or money to run a couple of bikes, so I'm looking forward to using this for commuting, fun rides, camping weekends, essential trips when I don't have access to the car and touring in the UK and Europe.

Anyway, after all that waffle, I've gone and ordered one! Can't wait. :-D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks Airhead! I will of course share pictures.

In fact I'll still be hanging around this forum, you're a good bunch you guys... :-D

Yeeeeeeeee

Another Triumph Dude on t'forum.

Well done Bips, onwards and upwards

c`mon, you get your licence on a 600 cc, 800 is not so bad, I like the bike... but not for myself :) I think you make a good chose except the fact you buy a new one :)

You wont go wrong with the tiger, lad i went through RAF training with 3 years ago sold his last week, did many miles on it and spent virtually nothing (i think he put a new chain and sprocket on and a set of plugs)

Nice one bippo, did a quick google and it looks like a sexy bike!

Must say i am impressed how quickly you have found a new bike- good on ya :)

Thanks everyone! Really can't wait to get it. I got such a good deal on a new one, it would have been silly of me to buy second hand. These bikes hardly depreciate and mine is coming with 700 quid of accessories for free (current Triumph offer) and they chucked in switchable ABS which is a further 600.

Oh and Jimmy, thought you'd be happy to have another Triumph owner on here!

Have a reputation of being a very good bike. Good choice I think.

I used to do their warranties and was impressed when I visited the factory.

Have a reputation of being a very good bike. Good choice I think.

I used to do their warranties and was impressed when I visited the factory.

That's great to know, thanks DDT!

Congrats and enjoy your new ride,I'm not into adventure bikes looks, but it looks able to do the job. I prefer 2 bikes 1 for off road adventures and 1 for long rides.But as you said no room for both so I think you made a good choice and nice that you got the one that you can turn off the abs you don`t want that when off roading.

• Like 1

Great to hear you've found the bike for you.

I think choosing a bike is all about the grin factor. If you sit on it and imediately start smiling then you've found your bike.

Great to hear you've found the bike for you.

I think choosing a bike is all about the grin factor. If you sit on it and imediately start smiling then you've found your bike.

Thanks! Well trust me, there was a huge grin on my face with this bike! I personally like adventure style bikes, but had to rule a fair few out due to their height, so you can imagine my joy when I realised the Tiger was so accessible!

It's also a plus that I quite like Triumph... :-)

Nice one Bippo! My tastes run more toward the scrambler, but the tiger is still a beauty. Congrats!! :thumb:

• Like 1

Nice choice, you'll love it. They look quite tall bikes to which is always good, iv been torn by the tiger and the multistrada recently but cant decide which i like more!

Triumph is a good choice!

Regularly see a tiger around in my village and have to say it looks and sounds sweet!

I like the scrambler and the street triple too.

Plus I've been round the factory and it is impressive!

• Like 1

Nice choice, you'll love it. They look quite tall bikes to which is always good, iv been torn by the tiger and the multistrada recently but cant decide which i like more!

Get both! Ha ha! I've heard good things about the Multistrada. You'll definitely have to test ride both of them before making your decision.

not my cuppa tea, but I'm glad you've found one to your liking.

good for when the snow in winter too :)

• Like 1