Amazing discovery...

Cynic
This post is 4148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok this will sound daft but it has made a big difference.

My dt has the traditionally poor headlight. Your ok if its just you but oncoming cars, esp new ones with the stupidly bright dip beam destroy your night vision. Leaving you blind for a bit.

My helmet has one of those built in tinted visors you can slide down. Din't know why but i used it this morning when a car came at me lights blazing, there i am 4am with a tinted visor. Fuck me what a difference. So much better. It saves so much of your night vision its amazing. You really can see far better even with having to faf about moving it up and down.

You will all think i'm nuts unless youtry it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Joking aside, all you are doing is reducing your vision so that the lights are not bothering you but by doing so you may be leaving your self open to other problems that you can not see due to the reduced vision.

Personally I deal with this by avoiding looking directly at the headlights of the oncoming traffic, Instead, look down and to the left slightly. You will still be able to see other vehicles but the glare won't bother you as much, and you keep as much night vision as you can without reducing it with a tinted lens.

There has been research that has proven that for some reason the human brain thinks it can see further at night with tinted lenses when the opposite is actually true.

I don't know about seeing farther with tinted glasses but I am extreamly light sensitive.I use the same method of not looking directly ahead but off to the side,as well as i wear hunting glasses the type with a yellow tint they make everything seem brighter but cut the intence glare of on comming lights

I don't know about seeing farther with tinted glasses but I am extreamly light sensitive.I use the same method of not looking directly ahead but off to the side,as well as i wear hunting glasses the type with a yellow tint they make everything seem brighter but cut the intence glare of on comming lights

yes the yellow tinted ones are for night driving,

Hmm. Let me see. Been riding the same bike for a quater century.

Same bike has taken me over the same roads to work for nigh on a decade.

All i had to do was look away slightly, woah never thought of that.

My route to work is out in the country. No streetlighting nothing. The contrast when a car comes at you is vast. Looking away makes little difference.

The headlights of cars over the last few years are now so bright that going from dim 1970's headlight to modern headlights. Esp those audi's means you cannot see full stop for several second.

Using the tint means i can see simple as that.

I am only using it to kill the glare then lifting it afterwards and it makes a real difference.

I really struggle with driving on unlit roads and wherever possible I either wont do it or try to time my journey wisely. Lights are very bright these days and to make it worse the bloody things are almost always adjustable electrically...who do you think gives consideration to others when fiddling with this adjuster.....NOT MANY!!!

just close one eye to stop it being blinded and then open it after the car has passed :D

mind you if its a line of cars, you'll be seeing in 2d for while

I think if I remember correctly it was those yellow tinted ones that were part of the study that I read about.

Another problem we have around my area is there are a lot of Eastern Europeans bringing there cars over with them with the headlight aim pointing the wrong way, I try to avoid as much night driving/riding as possible but this time of year its hard.

I too suffer from being blinded by oncoming traffic and I also think this gets worse as your eyes get older, as well as the lights getting brighter.

Could do with a visor that is treated the same as the modern welding masks that reacts instantly to light levels.

HID lights need to be banned. :madflame:

I agree, the icey blue colour of lights on bmws with full beam is painful!

That's why there indicators don't work, all the electricity is going to the headlights.

That's why there indicators don't work, all the electricity is going to the headlights.

No apparently the reason why modern day cars indicators don't work is because it effects their fuel economy as they draw too much power when switched on. lol

• 2 weeks later...

No apparently the reason why modern day cars indicators don't work is because it effects their fuel economy as they draw too much power when switched on. lol

personally, i think that most of the drivers just lack the brain power to breathe and indicate at the same time

not bitter or anything, just saying... -_-

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my amazing discovery.

After 31 years of riding bikes, I went into my sons room this morning where a pair of rubber gloves, the kind you wear when working on the bike, were lying. As I do his bike maintenance I asked what they were for. "I wear them under my gloves, and it keeps my hands warm". I tried it today and bugger me, it works. I have worn silk liners under my gloves before, but this beats that.

only problem is with wearing vinyl/latex gloves as unders is the sweat doesnt get removed, so you end up with sweaty hands

also, when your car is refusing to start in the cold weather or needs that little extra kick to get going, de-icing windscreen spray doubles as an 'easystart' alternative when sprayed directly into the intake in small doses, a must have for any classic mini owner ;), alternatively de-oderant spray will suffice

My discovery today:

I notice a small zip on the back of each of my gloves, opened it to find a waterproof over mitt in each one, tried them this morning on the way to work and seems to stop some of the wind chill....

• 4 weeks later...

Harley-Parkinson driving: you can see some parts of women's rear bumpers very very well... better than driving my XT :biglaugha: