Whats would be the max milage a day on a tour? Viva la Europe

Matthew Duncan
This post is 3615 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So me and a few of my mates are planning a weeks touring next year, ferry from Hull across to belguim and then through Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France then home.

What kinda milage would people suggest as max per day? we were thinking of setting a limit of about 400-450 miles a day?

Opinions? also any one done anything similar?

Thanks,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

For me about 150/200 miles per day. I have done 1000 miles in one day just stopping for fuel but that is not what it should be about. European riding is so much better than uk riding.

A good day would be a late'ish start after a nice breakfast where you decide roughly where you want to stop for lunch. Set off looking for every opportunity to find some great roads and stop if something you see on the way grabs your interest. Stop for an extended lunch, a small cafe set price meal or pop into a local supermarket for some bread and cheese and sit out waxing lyrical over the morning ride. Decide where you want to stop in the evening - I used to take camping stuff, have a youth hostel card or look for a b&b. Set off for the afternoon ride looking for the same things as the morning ride. If you find a very nice stretch of road you just stop, dump your luggage and ride up and down the bends for an hour or so (the alps are great for this). Find somewhere to stay in the evening. Open the beers and talk rubbish until it is time to eat and plan the morning ride for the flowing day.

Keep off the toll/N roads unless you have to hammer it back to a place or to make the ferry.

Remember it is about the journey not about the destination.

All big cities are the same so just skirt around them unless there is something you must see in one.

European shops are closed all of the time - well that's what it seemed like to me.

Fuel stops can be hard to find in some places so don't risk getting too far into reserve.

Yes as above, it's about the journey not how far you can go in a day, if you really have to hammer it then fine but you will miss so much if your only looking at the road cos your doing warp factor 10. Plus your bike will not thank you for ragging the shit out of it for a week. This is supposed to be a "HOLIDAY" not a race. :jossun:

We always used to reckon on 150-250 per day. Don't forget, the wonderfully twisty bits take a lot longer!

• Like 1

were going for the roads more than anything :) not planning ragging the tits of my bike for the whole time, were just kinda trying to find out where our stops are going to be :) as for accomodation, we were thinking of being as cheap as possible and getting hostels/b&b kinda things. also hopefully going to be checking out the motoguzzi factory/museam - might even get a few cheap bits for my v50 ;)

450 a day including twists you'll knacked. :crazy:

Your ass will tell you , :yeah:

How true :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

As you live in Aberdeen area and Hull is approx 400 miles away, let your run to the ferry be the judge. If you can handle that without feeling fekked on the boat then thats your yardstick

200-250 miles a day is my limit but I don't usually do that cos I'm always stopping to look at stuff.

Not that I've done much long haul rides, but I've found 5 hours to be my comfort limit!

150 - 250 per day is pretty good - allows you to enjoy things and take the interesting roads.

Done 700 once, granted it was in winter, but it was no fun. Numb ass and cold set in. I found myself stopping somewhere in Doncaster, but unable to get off my bike I was that cold. When I eventually did, I hugged a hand dryer in the toilets. Terribly irresponsible, so not recommended - lesson learned and I'm saving for warmer gear for next winter! But anyway, classy bird all the same...

• Like 4

We all thought you were a classy bird Bippo but the thought of you hanging onto the hand dryer in the bogs has us wondering !!!! :biglaugha::eusa_doh:

• Like 2

We all thought you were a classy bird Bippo but the thought of you hanging onto the hand dryer in the bogs has us wondering !!!! :biglaugha::eusa_doh:

HAHA!

aye, i think 400 miles would be our upper limit - just depends on time off work. ideally i would like to take 2 weeks, spend maybe 10 days traveling, and have the rest of the days as rest days.

If you took my bike id say 50 miles would be the limit :eusa_whistle:

how blackhat say, your ass will tell you... and bike... and your condition.. and others condition... depending of the route, but, in what I saw on the forums, 250-350 miles/day is a good trip. 250 miles at 40 miles medium is something like 8-9 h + 1h stops for resting, fuel, bla bla.

Was just looking for a similar thread and peoples experiences. Today I had a bit of a road trip visiting mates just east of Cheddar. Soooo A30 Truro --> Exeter and then M5 up to junction 22. 155 miles one way. Up at 07:30 this morning. Back at 14:00.

Also the first real distance blast on the FJ. Now I'm not one to sit in the inside lane @ 60 Mph. Not much to see on a motorway anyway.

So sat at a gentle pace of 150/160 Km (95 Mph).

Ok for a couple of hours but I'm sure any longer that that and the softy on top would decide when to stop. Not the bike .... haha.... it would probably do that all day long :-)

Mind you the fuel gauge came down pretty quickly.

Did a trip around Wales yesterday. Riding for 12 hours around A and B roads, clocking up 550 miles. It was a verrrrrry long day once you factor in the stops I also made.

Just couldn't stop riding, which is fine if that's what you want, but in another country I'm guessing you'll want to stop and soak up the atmosphere a little more.

Very important to keep topped up with fluids, especially when it's as warm as it was yesters!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

need to get my bike fixed first after hitting a deer....