What's your take on filtering along the outside of stationary or slow moving traffic?

j0hn
This post is 4011 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I don't usually get the opportunity to filter this way but when I did, it pissed off some woman which caused her to carry out a punishment undertake on to a bus lane in operation. I left a big enough gap between me and her so I'm not really sure what the issue was. Maybe she just disliked the fact that I came in from the opposite lane - which I could tell by her hand actions seen on my mirror.

I know the risks involved so I should be moving slower to react. Also looking out for junctions on either side of the road and moving back in time before you get to them. Keeping an eye out for drivers thinking of doing an impatient U-turn, pedestrians crossing the road between cars and mainly, watching the road ahead to judge your distance from vehicles coming towards you. I think it's an automatic 50% minimum blame on my part when there is a collision while filtering so all this would have to be done at the right time with due care and attention.

I've not had any hate while splitting lanes so this struck me by surprise. What's the general feeling about this type of filtering? Would you be inclined to filter this way, should the opportunity arise?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I do it everyday, Always have done. Even with oncoming cars, most give you the space you need and every now and then you will get an idiot trying to squeeze you. I had a BMW the other day sat on the white line to try and stop me, I just rode around it.

I work on 2 campuses and if I am off to the furthest place of work from me, there is about 5 miles of 40MPH average speed cameras. These are forward facing so just ride between them when they are doing 40. Stuff them up the inside too on occasion. Not saying I'm right, just what I do.

I do it on my 125 when the opportunity allows. After driving a cage for 18 yrs I've always seen it happen and accepted it as an advantage of having 2 wheels! If other road users get arsey it is normally because they are being impatient and envious cos they can't!

As long as it is done with due care and attention I don't see anything wrong with it.

I do it everyday, Always have done. Even with oncoming cars, most give you the space you need and every now and then you will get an idiot trying to squeeze you

Damn, I kinda brick it when I see an oncoming vehicle. Mainly because I don't know how they would react since there aren't a lot of riders around here so they wouldn't be used to something like that.

Yea AndrewElvisFan, loving that two wheel advantage :P.

Once you've got good visibility of the road ahead then I don't see a problem with it.

The only real time I've had an issue with it was a few years ago, circa 2006. Driving to work everyday down a highway that would be filled in every lane with traffic moving at 5mph, I and all the rest of the bikers would drive down a two foot strip of road that was just on the outside of the overtaking lane before the grass diverge; That was all well and good, most cage drivers would let us go by, maybe swearing at us under their breath, but none the less not causing us any hassle, but I had a number of instances where trucks would wait until the last minute, just as I was coming up to their tail end, and then veer out across the two foot road and sometimes even in to the grass diverge, all just to hinder my progressing. It actually made my drive to work really nerve wracking at that time.

As above mate, no issues with that, and I do it when required

after watching the footage, seems to me as though you did everything by the book? looks like she was just being an arse about it....one thing to be said for no mirrors, you don't even know if they are waving their arms about behind you and as i usually have headphones in, i doubt i would have even heard if she did start bitching and moaning

Blackhat, his mate and myself were doing some high speed filtering down the A9 few years ago,,,,, we were prob doing a lot of things wrong !!!

Nothing wrong with what you were doing in that vid

Ride safe

I wouldn't have looked round, as maybe you might have been perceived of goading her!

I remember going to Donnington and there was a line of traffic on the A500, 3 miles from Donnington.

just passing the line of cars, but as there were so many bikes car drivers were deliberately opening their doors and shouting at us, twats!

Cages are terrible they lash out because they are powerless. Even more annoying for them is the fact they are the cause of their own frustration.

I just assume every car is out to get me regardless.

She very nearly took out the rear left side of that BMW... That would have been entertaining. I have no idea why people behave like this. Cynic summarises it perfectly, they are the cause of their own frustration. It's not like you cut her up when you pulled back in, or went passed her flipping the bird... Sometimes I find women to be the worst (and as one I can say that myself!) I've seen a woman actually get out of her car and have a go at some bloke that was leaving a gap ahead of him in a traffic jam. The gap was only about enough for a transit van. On top of that it was a single carriageway, so it wasn't going to get filled up with lane swappers. I thank the car drivers who see me (move over during filtering etc) and just ignore those who try to throw me off. Don't see the point in rising to the bait. Try to let their blood pressure rise, and not mine.

No. Filtering is legal between 2 lines of traffic going the same way.

Filtering into oncoming traffic is classed as dangerous driving if bobby is in a bad mood.

Filtering into oncoming traffic is classed as dangerous driving if bobby is in a bad mood.

First one is filtering, the second is overtaking :icon_wink: . Er, not sure if that would stand up in court though.

Silly cow, really. You get those.
Had some bint yesterday in a powerful 4x4 try and undertake me just so she could pull across my lane into the 4th, but did it about 18" off my front wheel.
Resisted the urge to hand her wing mirror to her...

I wouldn't have looked round, as maybe you might have been perceived of goading her!

Yea, I guess she would have probably stayed where she was if I hadn't. Point taken.

She very nearly took out the rear left side of that BMW... That would have been entertaining.

I didn't notice at the time but damn that was pretty close.

I was actually slightly concerned about the legalities of such filtering or as DirtyDT stated, overtaking probably fits better. So, if I'm thinking right, there is no law that says you can't do it but if something were to happen then it would be classed as dangerous driving or is the whole thing classed as dangerous driving in which case, if I spot a copper, I should try and get back in asap without being seen?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online