classic

bennyboy1
This post is 4064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When does a bike stop being OLD and become a CLASSIC ????????/

just a passing random thought in my head today

Any suggestions ??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't know how reliable a source it is, but it sounds good. :)

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/antique-vs-vintage-vs-classic-motorcycles-6948274.html

When does a bike stop being OLD and become a CLASSIC ????????/

just a passing random thought in my head today

Any suggestions ??

Good question bb, I would say when it's tax exempt.

With some insurance companies, a bike is eligible for classic ins at 15yrs old.

Anyway, a poster on a classic bike forum I frequent has a signature line that states "just being old does not make it a Classic".

Yip " the old thing dosn"t cut it with Classic,, very old is Vintage, i think Classic is sumthing of iconic status,,, :shrug:

Any other views on this ,,,, :eusa_think:

A classic generally depends on the bike and how much its wanted ie. Most bikers lust after a bike they previously owned especially when there worth a bob or 2.

The 90's children want RG250/500's the 80's guys all want an RD350LC in mint condition and I prefer air cooled RD's mainly 350 & 400's but others want KH's but no one really wants a CB250G5 for instant even though it was a perfectly good bike, but its still a classic due to its age. So if you want to fix up a classic it costs quite a bit of cash so make sure you pick the right bike.

For insurance purposes between 10-15 years (according to Bike saying some insurance companies have recently classed some models as classics at 10 years).

For the true sense of classic I think it's been covered above, it's about innovative design and iconic status...

The problem I have found is that as soon as a bike is classed as classic, whether Brit, Italian, Japanese or what, it then becomes as dear as fek and soon get out of reach of the common biker.

Not nescessarily, would an original fireblade not be considered "classic" because of its iconic ground-breaking status?...

Or the XJ turbo, they tried something new

Mine's 14 years old and nowhere near being a classic. It's a Custom anyway, so I'd eschew that title on principle!! :D

you could have an instant classic , take the vmax as an example. in it's day this bike was an instant classic .

I agree the vmax is a classic but never knew why it was only any good in a straught line handled like a pig and compared to some other bikes of the same time was not even that fast, but yeah id still like one.

I agree the vmax is a classic but never knew why it was only any good in a straught line handled like a pig and compared to some other bikes of the same time was not even that fast, but yeah id still like one.

not that fast?, it was 150+ bhp, unrestricted, then the fastest bike you could get till the busa.

the new one is 200 bhp standard

they were made for the US for straight lines :D

As far as i understood classic is 15 insurance wise. Vintage was 25 but i thnk that stops at tax exempt these days.

Or how afronted the brit enthusiast (see olde scrappe heaype) is when you jappaneese bike is a good bit older than his. Has happened tobme and my dad more than once.

Had his ig cut at a show he went to so he could not do the parade lap on his 1970 honda cb175

Think yams first bike was in the late 50's

Bridgestone M/C were made from 1952 - 1973.

Yamaha 1955

Honda first real motorcycle 1949

Kawasaki produces its first complete motorcycle the B8 125cc two-stroke in 1961. (Apart from the BSA A7 copy 1960).

Suzuki began manufacturing motorcycles in 1952.

So the oldest Jap bike is Honda's Dream.

As far as i can recall the yam fzr 1000 exup was quite a bit quicker than the V max at the time it came out. As far as i recollect it never held the title of fastest road bike that being held in this country since the v max came out by the ZZR1100, ZZR1200, ZZR1400 Honda Blackbird, and the Busa.

not that fast?, it was 150+ bhp, unrestricted, then the fastest bike you could get till the busa.

the new one is 200 bhp standard

they were made for the US for straight lines :D

so what we have concluded here, is ,,age isn't realy a factor in terms of a bike being a classic ,

it's more down to the desirebility of the bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online