Which is better/faster?

Dan0692
This post is 4895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've got a YBR 125CC 2010 black model. I got it just over a week ago. My friend is getting a YZF-R125.

Obviously his is just under £2000 more but i've noticed that the speedo and everything is better quality.

I'm just wondering which is the better bike, and what's the speed difference? Both accel and top speed.

I don't want him overtaking me all the time

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't want him overtaking me all the time

That is less a matter of speed, and more often to do with stupidity or balls !!!

It's worrying that you worry about being overtaken, the road isn't a place for racing.

Chill out, relax and enjoy riding your own bike, at a speed you feel safe at, enjoying the freedom and laughing at the cage drivers stuch in traffic. If your mate wants past you, let him, don't get dragged into one up-manship on the roads, it's just not worth it.

That is less a matter of speed, and more often to do with stupidity or balls !!!

It's worrying that you worry about being overtaken, the road isn't a place for racing.

Chill out, relax and enjoy riding your own bike, at a speed you feel safe at, enjoying the freedom and laughing at the cage drivers stuch in traffic. If your mate wants past you, let him, don't get dragged into one up-manship on the roads, it's just not worth it.

+1

well put gas up

Well I say overtaking, what I mean is if he burns me on the spot or has a higher speed on dual carriage ways.

What's your view on the speed/accel comparison. Is it a big difference?

I've only been a biker for just over a week anyway and I feel pretty confident. Able to use the clutch properly at low speeds now :) But that's a different story!

so his is £2000 more, it's likely to be lighter, is he lighter too? on low output bikes the riders weight will make more of a difference than on bigger bikes. As has been said enjoy your own bike for what it is and make the most of being faster than cars in the rush hours. Dont get so hung up it's not a drag bike or even a pocket rocket the YBR is a good all round performer and will be more comfortable than the sportier 125R over a distance

Well I say overtaking, what I mean is if he burns me on the spot or has a higher speed on dual carriage ways.

What's your view on the speed/accel comparison. Is it a big difference?

I've only been a biker for just over a week anyway and I feel pretty confident. Able to use the clutch properly at low speeds now :) But that's a different story!

To me, this sounds like,,,,,,who wants to wreck there bike the fastest B)

His bike Might be a tad faster away from the lights and the dual carriage-way,,,,,,,,BUT let him off,,,, you shouldnt care what he is doing.

I garantee you that if YOU hang back and take it a bit slower YOU will become a far BETTER rider than him,,,,,,in alot less time.

There is plenty to think about and plenty to be looking at rather than wondering what your mate is doing,,,,,e.g. your mate takes off flying when the light turns green, you take your time and take off nice and steady, your mate is the one who got hit by a car who ran his red light, you are the one who goes to see him in hospital.

Biking is not all about speed, i sugest you take yourself to the country roads on your own (no mates), drive however you want going there but on the way back, sit up a bit straighter, ease off the throttle and take your time,,,,,,you will instantly feel more in control of your bike, your trip will be far more meaning-full and plesent, you will be back home in what seems to be far less time than it took to get out there.

Dont get me wrong,,,,,,, i like to give my bike a good old thrashing every now and again so im not just telling you to go slow,,,,,,,you are only biking a week you say, so i am more or less helping you understand what its all about,,,,,,,,going fast is a thrill but it takes alot of knowlage that has to come to you naturally and without thinking,,,,,,if you cant see the dangers when going slow then you definatley wont see them going fast. I have been on a bike for many years and i still have much to learn.

YOU will learn faster and better if you take your time and use your head to think quick !

Hope This Helps :D

To me, this sounds like,,,,,,who wants to wreck there bike the fastest B)

His bike Might be a tad faster away from the lights and the dual carriage-way,,,,,,,,BUT let him off,,,, you shouldnt care what he is doing.

I garantee you that if YOU hang back and take it a bit slower YOU will become a far BETTER rider than him,,,,,,in alot less time.

There is plenty to think about and plenty to be looking at rather than wondering what your mate is doing,,,,,e.g. your mate takes off flying when the light turns green, you take your time and take off nice and steady, your mate is the one who got hit by a car who ran his red light, you are the one who goes to see him in hospital.

Biking is not all about speed, i sugest you take yourself to the country roads on your own (no mates), drive however you want going there but on the way back, sit up a bit straighter, ease off the throttle and take your time,,,,,,you will instantly feel more in control of your bike, your trip will be far more meaning-full and plesent, you will be back home in what seems to be far less time than it took to get out there.

Dont get me wrong,,,,,,, i like to give my bike a good old thrashing every now and again so im not just telling you to go slow,,,,,,,you are only biking a week you say, so i am more or less helping you understand what its all about,,,,,,,,going fast is a thrill but it takes alot of knowlage that has to come to you naturally and without thinking,,,,,,if you cant see the dangers when going slow then you definatley wont see them going fast. I have been on a bike for many years and i still have much to learn.

YOU will learn faster and better if you take your time and use your head to think quick !

Hope This Helps :D

Thanks for the reply :) but yeah, if everybody thought that way, everybody would have 125cc's as opposed to bigger bikes XD

I'm happy with the speed I go at and never go above 40/45 unless I need to or go on a dual carriageway

Yeah biking is instantly gratifying. I've had a car lesson and it didn't feel right. I can get on a bike and it feels so natural.

In 3 years at the most I want to move up to a bigger bike probably a unfaired XJ6. They're incredibly beautiful bikes

I've only been a biker for just over a week anyway and I feel pretty confident.

I had to think about what you ment here... I'l be honest, I shuddered when I read this, but after thinking about it I think you just mean you feel alot more confident than when you got on the bike.

Confidence is a good thing, but there is a fine line that you need to learn (it can't be tought) between confidence and ability. You need to get the balance right so the confidence matches your ability, or more accurately, you can control your confidence to meet your ability - am I making sense ?

You don't sound like a knob, and believe me there are alot of them out there, so I think you'll do just fine on the bike. I've riden in groups of all sizes, from 30 or 40 bikes to 3 or 4 mates and I don't care for it at all. I'm happiest on my own, and the best group rides are the ones where your mate is 1/2 mile in front or behind you so it feels like you are alone.

There really isn't going to be much in it speedwise, but you can be a faster rider (from A to B) by being a better rider. When you can judge, anticipate and second-guess other road users you will gain the fractions of a second over your mate, but you will also be safer and less likely to trash your bike in the process.

Now, get out there and put some miles on your bike, and remember observation, observation, observation....

I had to think about what you ment here... I'l be honest, I shuddered when I read this, but after thinking about it I think you just mean you feel alot more confident than when you got on the bike.

Confidence is a good thing, but there is a fine line that you need to learn (it can't be tought) between confidence and ability. You need to get the balance right so the confidence matches your ability, or more accurately, you can control your confidence to meet your ability - am I making sense ?

You don't sound like a knob, and believe me there are alot of them out there, so I think you'll do just fine on the bike. I've riden in groups of all sizes, from 30 or 40 bikes to 3 or 4 mates and I don't care for it at all. I'm happiest on my own, and the best group rides are the ones where your mate is 1/2 mile in front or behind you so it feels like you are alone.

There really isn't going to be much in it speedwise, but you can be a faster rider (from A to B) by being a better rider. When you can judge, anticipate and second-guess other road users you will gain the fractions of a second over your mate, but you will also be safer and less likely to trash your bike in the process.

Now, get out there and put some miles on your bike, and remember observation, observation, observation....

Yeah i'm no master by any means, i'm a lot more confident. Part of biking is being weary, but not worried. My dads a biker of over 20 years so I have him for advice. Yeah observation :) i've had that drilled into my brain. Hopefully i'll do my test in 6 months or so!

Thanks for the advice

Its kind of obvious which would be "faster" theres a difference between riding fast and being fast isnt there Its usually quite a well known fact a good rider will be able to out do any bad rider despite the bike (within reason of course) so what you should concentrate on is not letting testosterone taking over and ride how you feel confident in. (And im bias towards the YZF as it is so my opinion isnt valid on the choice of bike :)

.... Part of biking is being weary, but not worried.

I'm never weary of biking, i get a buzz every time I go out on it. Maybe you need to change route or something to spice things up?

Loads of good advice here, I find riding my old 2 strokes more fun than riding modern bikes, at a steady plod you see the country side more, riding in groups is down to knowing each others limits and not pushing your luck i reckon, if they get away from ya then relax they will catch up with a tractor on a bend or summat eventually, just go at your own pace enjoy the 125 for what it is, and when you get your XJ6 enjoy that but it will blody cumbersome and awkward to start with i promise ya

Well i'm still learning and I think you can only get a buzz from a 125 if a wire's loose and shocks you!

I would have to disagree with that due to the fact I get quite a nice feeling from just being able to go out on my bike and just go for a ride and go down my favourite roads. Maybe you do need to try going different places and see if you can find the love of riding even a smaller engine bike :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dan, if you want to ride fast (or faster), go to a track. Trackdays are easy to find and give you a safe place to thrash it. Better still, go to a track/race school - something like the Ron Haslam school at Silverstone. I'm sure they do session on Honda 125's that would be just up your street.

As for going fast on the road - I ride both an FJ1200 and an Aprillia RSV on the road - obviously the RSV is the "faster" bike, but on the road, I make the same progress on either bike.

On my FJ, I can easily keep up with badly ridden modern superbikes (even with a passenger on board) on the road - and I've passed plenty on the track. But, even on my RSV, there are others riding bikes like FJ's that can pass me any time they like. Speed is down to the skill of the rider - Sean Emmett (ex BSB and 500 GP rider)did a track session on a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 (upright retro-style bike) and was overtaking the latest superbikes of the time left, right & centre.

Chill-out, learn to ride properly - follow Keith Code's instructions in his book "Twist of the Wrist" and you'll be a far faster, safer, rider, even on your 125.

Cheers

I've only been a biker for just over a week anyway and I feel pretty confident.

Must.... not.... cut loose.... on..... the.... Newbie..... :lol:

Thanks for the reply :) but yeah, if everybody thought that way, everybody would have 125cc's as opposed to bigger bikes XD

As mentioned earlier - Absolute bollocks.

Having a bike, especially when you're a younger rider (not that I'm old) is about having freedom, independence, being able to get to faraway places, having a fun project and exciting things to do, things and skills to learn about, something to care for and about being a real adult. This last one is kinda taken care of when you realise how fecking dangerous it can be on those roads!!

I had a 125 Dragstar, weighing in at just 12BHP lugging 144kg. I could still outride bigger sports bikes through town. It ain't about speed and it ain't about luck either - It's always, always, always about skill.

Many people DO still buy 125s, just to play around on... and by 'play around', I mean a lightweight thing that you can throw into corners and do a bit of spirited riding on.

Well i'm still learning and I think you can only get a buzz from a 125 if a wire's loose and shocks you!

See above ramble about 125 enthusiasts.

In short - Ride your own ride.

If blokie wants to go blasting off like a Hoolie, fucking let him.

He'll wear out his tyres and other parts far faster and will likely end up buried in a hedge/bus/building.

Use your 125 time to learn the mental skills - Anticipation, forward planning, actually seeing your environment, timing your manoeuvres and so on. When you come to hop on a bigger bike, it will be SO much easier and there'll be SO much more you're able to do on it!!

Cobblers, my DT175 is slower than both of the bikes you have listed. Its just about your mindset. If your worrying about being faster than mate X your head is already wrong.

I have had almost exclusively 2strokes up to 350cc all through my riding life, all have been giant killers. Without all the posy crap there are no ego issues and you get on with riding the bike with skill. I have spent more on rider training than performance parts and have been the better man many times. Normally to the embarrasment of powerrangers with their sliders and romper suits generally trying to be Rossi, or Haga or their personal champion.

To me the bike is personal, i ride at my pace my way. Sometimes the red mist will drop (eh blackhat) but in the right place its fine.

You have chosen that bike for a reason, be financial, personal, style whatever. It reflects you and if you are going to be out in the winter you are far more likely to have a tidy bike by the spring than Mr YZR, you also will lose far less cash when you come to trade up as YBR's will always be worth money, the other will drop in value massively.