Building a toolkit - opinions on priority

captf
This post is 3293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, like any good biker, who wants to do their own repairs, the time comes to start building up a toolkit.

I currently only have a selection of sockets and wrenches in the usual sizes, to do the most basic of work [which inevitably needs help in putting it back right again ;) ], but what should I start thinking about getting next?

What would be your top 5 [no need for all 5] of tools you make the most use out of? Order by priority if you feel.

I'm currently thinking a decent torque wrench should be next on the list [but those aren't exactly cheap]

Edit(s):

So far we have, in no order...

A fucking great big hammer ;)

Torque wrench(es)

Impact wrench

Feeler guages

Pliers and grips

Paddock Stand(s)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1 Torque wrench certainly.

2 Descent electric drill with reverse

3 impact wrench hand or air

4 parts washer just bought one myself, would not be without it now

5 carb balance dials or gauges for multi carb bikes.

I could go on for hours but some tools you only use once or twice a year, but when you need them it's nice to have them in the box.

Is the impact wrench the one for putting on, or taking off? If on, is there danger of over-torquing?

I'm guessing that for the XJ6, carb balancers aren't needed - fuel injected.

Oh, and just realising. Another on the list will be paddock stands.

Impact wrench, hand type is for on or off but mostly to loosen tight or rusted bolts, you hit it with a hammer and it slowly undoes the bolt/nut, yes you can rip the head of a bolt right off if your not careful. Does your bike not come with a centre stand then?

• Like 1

Ah, I know the thing you mean.

And no, while you can get an optional centre stand, an xj6 doesn't come with one as standard.

tyre pressure guage is very useful and a footpump

usual allen sets with T handles if you can stretch that far

feeler guages (go/no go are nice too)

1 screwdriver set

2 selection of hammers

3 selection of pliers and grips

4 breaker bar -600mm

5 torque wrench

Assuming you have at least 2 sets of sockets, one small sizes and one large, that would be my list.

Don't be tempted to buy cheap. Halfords professional/advanced range is great for the money and they do half price sales on a regular basis.

Yeah, it's a Halford Advanced 90 piece set I have - as well as a 18" breaker bar [~450mm I think?] and a few advanced screwdrivers.

I figure that you pay for what you get, and these are also highly regarded. Not Snap-On, but an affordable alternative.

Got a pressure guage [those low-fi ones that just shoot out to the pressure]. Feeler guage is something I need though.

Pliers and grips will be something to add. May get a small hammer too [to start]

• Like 1

Get a ball pein and a weighted rubber/nylon if you can.

6 a good set of allen keys - not ones on a spring key ring nor ones in a swiss army knife format.

1 Torque wrench certainly.

2 Descent electric drill with reverse

3 impact wrench hand or air

4 parts washer just bought one myself, would not be without it now

5 carb balance dials or gauges for multi carb bikes.

I could go on for hours but some tools you only use once or twice a year, but when you need them it's nice to have them in the box.

slice you disappoint me where the fucking great hammer on your list ☺
  • Like 1

Where everybody bangs on about torque wrench. It needs to be a small one.

Its very difficult for most people to over do 17mm stuff. Its the little stuff that people break like clutch spring bolts.

Good quality fine ratchet with multi spline sockets. A vice and a paddock stand would be my list.

As Meat says A BIG FUCKING HAMMER !!! :biglaugha:

• Like 1

Where everybody bangs on about torque wrench. It needs to be a small one.

I figure I'd end up with 2 - one for the higher end, another for the small

Socket set (one Halfords fancy set, one VERY heavy duty über-pro set)
Screwdrivers (from tiny jewellers to 3/8" dia ones)
Allen keys
Grips set (pliers (snub and needlenose), mole, snips, etc)

Spanners would normally be on the list, but both socket sets include a good range (5-19mm) of 'em.

Loads of Instant gasket....I need it, its a Triumph

3lb hammer

5lb hammer

set of mole grips

set of stilsons

Adjustable spanner

Only kidding by the way

• Like 2

Obviously not ref the gasket goo, the hammers, stilsons and mole grips but I wouldn't keep a shifting spanner in my box

A Ratchet drive and a set of extensions and adaptor bars

One of those magnetisers/demagnetizer tools is very useful.

Especially when it comes to putting it all back together, screwdrivers, allen keys and even small spanners can go through and will hold the screws in place as you put them back where they came from.

A good bright torch/light, because when you need to work on the bike you can guarantee it won't be daylight!!

If its basic maintenance youre gonna be doing then a basic toolkit to start with is all youll need

Centre stand/paddock stand

Set of allen keys

Youyve already got the socket set

Ball pein hammer, no bigger than 1lb

Plastic mallet

Set of screwdrivers

Torque wrench (watch for Lidl and Aldi, they occaisionnly have em in)

As you get more proficient and take on more advanced maintenance

Multi meter

Pin punches

and then youll find that youll be buying tools specific to a task, like balancers for throttle body setting etc etc

then in 30 years years time, youll end up like me, wondering why the hell youve got so much stuff you only use once in a blue moon.

Cant resist the gravitational pull of a tool stall

• Like 1

I bit the bullet a while ago and brought a digital torque wrench. It's a fantastic bit of kit . I will get a lower range one at some time in the future but the one I have goes pretty low already.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online