FJ1200 - a bit spluttery in the morning - why?

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

Long time no speak - had a bit on at work - trust you all well,

For the first 2 miles or so the bike feels like its running on 3 legs - spluttery and misfires out of the off side tailpipe. I got the feeling righthand cylinders or carbs. After a bit it pulls through and is sweet as and pulls and runs like a train.

This might sound stupid but it seems to do it more often when it has been on the side stand for a day or 3 - does the fuel run to one side of the carbs or something? Does not seem to do it when parked on the centre stand.

Never done it before and serviced in November just before winter and being laid up. The chap said it would run better after the service - well it don't !!

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Smell the oil for fuel , :eusa_think: sounds like your float valves are passing, I know its meant to come out the overflow, but I"v seen fuel go right thru to cylnders,

• Like 2

As above Dutch, sounds like your right hand carb or carbs are emptying and taking time to refill when you set off. Just did mine, new valves and seats plus new set of gaskets, still the pump whines away when I start it from being on the side stand and like yours it's fine when it's on the centre stand. Do your overflow pipes weep when it's running? cos if they do you need to replace the float valves and seats same as I did. They are known for this problem and also the clutch is known to crap out quite quickly, mine is in bit's as we speak with a dead clutch. :shakeno:

• Like 2

We all are spluttery and misfire when we get to that age.

I agree with the other comments about fuel in a cylinder on the sidestand.

• Like 1

We all are spluttery and misfire when we get to that age.

I agree with the other comments about fuel in a cylinder on the sidestand.

A bottle o' Guinness and a couple of tabs usually sorts me out in the morn , don't think it'll do much for your bike tho' .

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for that quick diagnosis.

Off to the carb mender it is ..... soon'ish.

Cheers.

Another question just to get the full picture on this.

Am I right reading the above that the fuel is draining from the carb straight thru the cylinder into the oil sump?

Is that when standing still in the garage or when driving ?

If so, with fuel seeping straight into the sump no wonder the gubbins in there go t*ts up.

Reason I ask is : Explained this to my bike shop (not yamaha) and he was not too enthusiastic to do this job because when the rubber 'whatsits' that go to the cylinder have gone stiff he said the job will be a ballache to get the carbs off. Hehe .... he said ..... if its ok on the center stand why not just do nothing and just keep parking it that way :crazy:

Ehm ... no .... order the parts and get on with it !!

Open the filler cap and smell the oil. If petrol is there you'll know. Another possible cause is the valve seals/guides leaking,causing some oil in the combustion chamber, and taking a few minutes to burn off causing the rough running on these two cylinders

The carbs are easy to get off and you won't f**k the rubbers up, he's a tit. the fuel actually drains out of the over flow I think you will find and not into the sump/oil, if you start the bike run it for 5 mins then turn it off and watch the ends of the rubber hoses that come off of the carbs, there are X4 from each float bowl and 2 from the pass through fuel line, the 4 are the ones that really matter as they are the ones that leak the most, if they are leaking then all you need is a set of new float valves and seats, if it,s running from the 2 fuel lines between 1/2 & 3/4 then that is why it's running rough, it will drain the carbs on the right (looking from the rear) hope that helps?

• Like 1

he was not too enthusiastic to do this job because when the rubber 'whatsits' that go to the cylinder have gone stiff he said the job will be a ballache to get the carbs off.

Is he not undoing the clamps first, or something?

The FJ has one of the world's easiest carbs to remove and pretty darn easy to reinstall (just requires a touch on finger strength and more than three braincells).

*I* can do it all by myself, without fuss, delay, error or damage, so any half-competent spanner-jockey ought to sail through.

If he/she cannot, then he/she is the aforementioned tit.

• Like 1

Just so I know Dutch, have you checked the pipes that I mentioned and are they leaking? If your man won't or can't do them they are real easy to do, it's just the float bowl screws that are a pain in the arse as they are made out of some sort of Japanese cheese and filings, should take no more than a couple of hours tops to do and that's another thing ticked off the list of things that go wrong on an FJ.

It's a pretty short list of things that break on these bikes.

They are known for this problem and also the clutch is known to crap out quite quickly, mine is in bit's as we speak with a dead clutch. :shakeno:

Slice seen your above posts thanks for that.

So, if the fuel does not end up in your oilpan why does your clutch crap out ?

Or do you mean the known FJ hydraulic rubber thingemyjig down below that craps out and the clutch goes soft. A repairkit can soon sort that out no?

Just so I know Dutch, have you checked the pipes that I mentioned and are they leaking?

Away for work at the mo back this weekend so will check then.

No the spring plate that the clutch uses instead of a sprung plate gets out of shape, max should be 6mm and mine is 10mm, I have just fitted a set of EBC friction plates from Germany into mine they are the heavy duty kind so will last longer. I seem to have confused you the fuel is nothing to do with the clutch going it's just that mine has just gone pop, and I have also just replaced the float valves and seats, so was trying to list the things that go and got myself in a knot !!! Sorry mate :shakeno:

and got myself in a knot !!! Sorry mate :shakeno:

You put the farking fear of god in me mate :eusa_doh:

When I saw that post I parked the bike in the garage and haven't touched it since ...........doh !!!! :eusa_snooty:

Another question just to get the full picture on this.

Am I right reading the above that the fuel is draining from the carb straight thru the cylinder into the oil sump?

Is that when standing still in the garage or when driving ?

If so, with fuel seeping straight into the sump no wonder the gubbins in there go t*ts up.

Reason I ask is : Explained this to my bike shop (not yamaha) and he was not too enthusiastic to do this job because when the rubber 'whatsits' that go to the cylinder have gone stiff he said the job will be a ballache to get the carbs off. Hehe .... he said ..... if its ok on the center stand why not just do nothing and just keep parking it that way :crazy:

Ehm ... no .... order the parts and get on with it !!

He wants to try getting the carbs off my tdr or a fzr400 or a gsx 600 or a........

Fj. No bother.

• Like 1

Update gents,

Had my carbs done last monday. Yup float valves shot. The chap showed me 4 little gubbins that had seen better days.

Apparently a po or his grease monkey had tried to f*ck around with them before as well.

Now all good, pre-set,pressurized, balanced and calibrated or whatever :-) and shot off to our Brixham office on Tuesday morning.

Happy days :spin2:

Thanks for the advice!

Sweet mate, glad you got it sorted.