what's a good helmet cam?

eddiebadboy
This post is 3384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

thinking about getting one, in case i'm in an accident, altercation or just to film my route but have absolutely no idea whats best, cheap or good. any recommendations?

also, is it better helmet or bike mounted?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was talking to a guy on the santa run and he had a helmet one, he changed to a bar mount as he said that you don't know if you switched it on properly and have to check.

His had an extension cord for switches which if on helmet, you would have to remember to unplug

I think it was a contour HD he had

the quality of videos are better on helmet camera because you have no vibration, on the bike, lot of vibration no mater where you fit it. if you want quality go for gopro, if you don`t care about the quality, you have lot of options on cheap cameras.

I have the Muvi TM-HD. its good, all mounts -strap - helmet [ stick on] and a clip on case, its good you clip on to you jacket opening or pocket, and it swivels so you can square it up , I"l post a clip of it soon , 720 too,

The instruction booklet is tiny,,, but theres a cd disc,,,,

I have the TCL Full HD camera, cost a mere £100 odd quid and is much better than anything else I have tried, Gopro are nice but very expensive and to be honest if you bin the bike then your going to wreck the camera as well so chep is good as it's easy to replace and you don't have to worry about some scrote nicking it while your back is turned, as lassy says on your helmet is best as the bike always vibrates. ue1540_9.jpg Comes with a waterproof housing and loads of straps and sticky pads, so if you don't mind cheap and adequate picture quality then this might suit you as well. try watching this.

Thought you might like to watch this ?

Just to give you an idea how good this "CHEAP" camera is.

I use a Contour HD, being a cheapskate I picked it up secondhand off eBay. I've got it mounted on the bars as I didn't want to stick anything on my (then) new Shoei Neotec. I haven't noticed any vibration issues on my MT125 but trying it on my mates ER-6 was hilarious. Waterproof out of the box the only issue with them is poor sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a WDV5000 for Christmas, seems pretty good so far. Around £60 gets you the camera, a waterproof case and a collection of mounts. I've only used the handlebar one so far so it's a bit vibey but not too bad. The fittings on the camera/case are the standard tripod screwthread so virtually any universal mounting will work.

http://youtu.be/lYI6kb6zfXg

Enjoyed that Finnerz mind you had to go for a piss after the second song !!! :biglaugha:

Enjoyed Tom Petty tho, haven't heard that in years.

Aha don't blame your bladder issues on me ;)

I just picked 2 tracks that added up to the length of the video lol.

Yeah don't worry Jimmy, KPH all the way, my bikes not that quick!

• Like 1

Aha don't blame your bladder issues on me ;)

I just picked 2 tracks that added up to the length of the video lol.

Yeah don't worry Jimmy, KPH all the way, my bikes not that quick!

I would'nt worry about slices bladder issue, its probably the same as mine, a date of birth thingy, you will have the same issues in another 37 years ha ha, now that something to look forward to. :colors:

Nice video camara seems to to work well enough.

• Like 1

what is the sound like and how long can you run the camera for at that resolution?

So far the sound hasnt been great, but i think thats down to where i've mounted it on my bike as there's a lot of wind noise, which sounds stranger when its in the waterproof case.

I've yet to try it out of the case, or with an external mic.

I know the battery outlasts the 8GB card i'm using atm, which gives about 1hr 20 on full HD. But the batteries are external so I plan on getting a spare at some point.

So far the sound hasnt been great, but i think thats down to where i've mounted it on my bike as there's a lot of wind noise, which sounds stranger when its in the waterproof case.

I've yet to try it out of the case, or with an external mic.

I know the battery outlasts the 8GB card i'm using atm, which gives about 1hr 20 on full HD. But the batteries are external so I plan on getting a spare at some point.

nice one,might get one for the IOM this year, (and one rearward facing so you can see TommyXS) :)

I've just ordered an adapter so I can attach it to gopro mounts, I think my bikes going to be covered in camera mounts now lol

Depends on budget,

If all you want it for is in case of emergency you can go for a sub £50 camera and mount it to the front fairing or wingmirror/bars These are usually low video quality but its good enough to tell who is at fault in a crash. low video quality means that you can record for hours and battery will usually last longer than full HD cameras

In the £100 mark you have 3 good opitions. The first is the Drift HD 1080p which is an outdated camera but can still be purcahsed for the £100 mark on amazon, it has good quality and its slim frame makes it ideal to be placed on your helmet.
Also in the £100 budget is the GoPro Hero which is part of the latest realease of the GoPro series of cameras. Their video quality is outstanding the cameras are highly robust and I know from personal experience how much of a beating they can take. I personally love these cameras as their value/quality is unbeaten in my honest opinion. The one flaw to go pro cameras is that side mounting them on your helmet is a bit of a pain as they quickily become a massive sail so you will feel the wind pushing your head to a side when riding with one on.

And if you want the out right best with a budget of up to £400 you can chose form the GoPro Hero 4 black or the Drift Ghost S which both offer fantastic video quality and good battery life.

Here is a little picture of what I use. Dispite the flaws of the GoPro they are good cameras and I wouldnt use anything else. Picture is 2 of the GoPro heroes (£99 camera) and the GoPro Hero 3 silver (£200ish mark camera)

7TVs2XO.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online