Rear end twitches

melvynford
This post is 3469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys .

Need a bit of advice. Have a 2000 xj600. When I go out on the bike if I hit a grove in the road our where they have been doing road works. The bike twitches on me .

I have put new rear wheel bearing in and new spindle.

I have put new steering head bearings in . Had the bike up on the Main stand grab the swing arm to check for any free play and it is ok.

I can't think wat it is but it is dangerous if I am going at high speed and hit a grove in the road.

Can anyone advise

Regards Mel.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

All bikes twitch when you go over grooves in the road, it's just the way it is, usually you can put it down to tread pattern or tyre pressure on the tyre or any one of a hundred little things, as long as you have no play in the head stock or rear swing arm bearings it has to be the tyre and as I said all tyres twitch when the road surface changes. It's not dangerous and it's not unusual so just deal with it like all the rest of the road. Try going over a manhole cover at 80MPH on a corner and then you will know what a "TWITCH" is, you won't need a seat belt you can cling onto the bike just with your arse hole. :biglaugha:

• Like 2

Check your tyre condition (front and rear), squared off tyres can contribute to the twitch. Its noticeable when you ride over those joins in the road surface that lie in your direction of travel, you have to ride over them when changing lanes etc. The join erodes quickly and can leave deepish grooves in your direction of travel. I've found it best to pas over them ASAP rather than ride in them for any distance

Its poor quality road repairs

• Like 1

Do you have a back box or anything? Mine had shifted backwards overtime and made the rear-end very unstable in much the same way you have described.

I moved the box forward and retightened with better screws and that has completely brought it back into line :-)

Personally I think this is the normal behaviour of a bike, its like white lines seem to be using thicker paint than when I was younger, or I am just noticing the twitch more, although I must say that its less noticeable on my Dragstar than it used to be on the XJ600

Look ahead and try to avoid the lines and joins in the road.

Drewp"s your a smak-head, :spin2: ... my old H2 did it badly on white lines, :eusa_doh: ,, put on Avon road riders , transformed, :yeah: ,,

Modern rubber needs higher presures ,,,

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online