Punctures

inpar
This post is 3558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Enjoying a ride up in the cotswolds recently a thought came to mind, PUNCTURE ! what if I get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, I've got breakdown and recovery etc but I am wondering what you lads or lasses would suggest as a " get you home / garage " type solution.

From when I used to ride many years ago I seem to recall a can of foam type stuff ?? I could be dreaming tho.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from you time served people.

Many thanks,

Inpar.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I carry a bike pump (high pressure) about 6 inches long and it can at least put air in the tyre plus a can of compressed air, enough to put about 20Psi in the tyre, and I filled the tyre with GOOP as that will stop most small punctures like nails or general road crap. Plus I have breakdown cover so if all else fails I let someone else fix it! :jossun:

The odds of terminal failure isnt woth the hassle of carrying the kit.

Try riding a 2stroke. You are far more likely to blow a piston than get a puncture in my experience.

Tyres dont fail like they used to. More than enough stuff to worry about without that.

Well tank you fellas for your input / advice ....

In reply ......Slice ..... I appreciate pump, compressed air etc, but if I've got a flat tyre that tells me it won't hold air ?

Cynic !! I like your approach to this bikin stuff .. u made me smile.

Foamy ... I've googled " that green gunk shit " but didn't get many results ?? I thought it might have been a brand name ??

Aaaaand another thing ! u can't have " speeds ", it doesn't have a plural, u can have high or low, but not both, unless u say " he moved at variying speeds " .... tell me to shut up ...

Thanks for your input fellas, and I gain from it that it isn't worth concerning myself with ... Is it Cynic ?

Stay safe,

Inpar.

• Bikes:Newly acquired yam xvs 650 dragstar ..... now moved on to an xvs 1100 classic.

Posted Today, 06:01 PM

Well tank you fellas for your input / advice ....

In reply ......Slice ..... I appreciate pump, compressed air etc, but if I've got a flat tyre that tells me it won't hold air ?

Cynic !! I like your approach to this bikin stuff .. u made me smile.

Foamy ... I've googled " that green gunk shit " but didn't get many results ?? I thought it might have been a brand name ??

Aaaaand another thing ! u can't have " speeds ", it doesn't have a plural, u can have high or low, but not both, unless u say " he moved at variying speeds " .... tell me to shut up ...

Thanks for your input fellas, and I gain from it that it isn't worth concerning myself with ... Is it Cynic ?

Stay safe,

Inpar.

I seem to remember the stuff wild foamy is on about was called "OKO" that was put in the tyre before you got a puncture and was supposed to seal the hole when you got a puncture. Seem to remember it was only any good on tubeless tyres not ones with inner tubes fitted. Also remember when you came to change tyres that had been filled with it it was horrible stuff to clean off the rims before you installed a new tyre.

Tony

I agree with Cynic, tyres are far superior to the old days.

In the UK, I tend not to worry - but do have breakdown.

When I venture into Europe, I have breakdown, but I always carry a can of goop tyre repair because someplaces are remote and it might get me out of a real fix.

carry a spare wheel on your back whenever you go anywhere, problem solved. :thumb:

preferably the rear as that tends to go more often.

• Like 1

mobile, call wifey, come & get me oh & bring my van also works well when pissed in pub

recommend don't try this too often though

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got personal breakdown cover (£75, GEM motoring assist), basically means whatever I'm driving/riding/passengering I can get recovered, even managed to get my caravan recovered from Wolverhampton to Basingstoke when the brakes caught fire on the M54,

In the mean time, keep a mars bar in your toolkit, A: it's something to nibble on to pass the time and raise morale, B: if you're there for a few hours it will atleast keep you from starving to death or eating your own limbs until help arrives C: can be used to trap wild animals if you are expecting to be stranded for a few days or so.

• Like 1

You can ride em flat these days, I rode a rear flat from Northampton to Porstmouth, so's not to miss a crossing, got a new tyre fit the other side of the channel.

Sorry John, but I cannot believe that. You're talking of about 130 miles.

I've had punctures in tubed bikes and within about twenty feet I can't even control the bike so have had to push it home.

But as previously said by Cynic. "Tyres don't fail like they used to." I totally agree, since I've had my present bike with tubeless tyres for about ten years I've never had a puncture.

As said by a few a good breakdown cover is advisable.

Repair kit & breakdown cover.

Too many bad stories about the goop/foam and either how it only works on certain types of tyre/puncture, how tyres are unfixable afterward, or how owners had no idea they'd been punctured until later on when the tyre subsequently failed further.

I don't even bother with the repair kit. I have breakdown cover with my insurance. I've only ever had one puncture.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online