weding ring removale/not joke

dt502001
This post is 3690 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so I know alot of people have trouble getting the lats ring off of a bearing off of a crank or shaft of any kind,

You have used the proper tool and.... bang the old bearing comes appart,and your left with the wedding ring still stuck on the shaft.

So now how do you get it off?? :eusa_think: grind it :crazy: going to end up cutting into the shaft. :eusa_snooty: heat it and press it off :eusa_snooty: NOPE going to change the temperment of the metal and I dont have a big press :eusa_think:

It's so simple I forgot to tell anyone and had to do it today so thought why not share.

First you have to set up the thing you need to get the ring off of and be able to smack the shit out of it once,with a chisel and hammer so make sure wherever you do this make sure it wont move.

A vice would be a good thing to hold it.

SO HOW EVER YOU DO THIS PART DO IT RIGHT DON"T BLAME ME IF IT SMACKS YOU"

Now you have it held tight and not goig to jump around,

Heat just in one top spot of the wedding ring till red hot( propane/map gas with right tip or Ox torch works best)

Now if you can brave someone to quickly take the chisel and hammer and place it flat on the surface of the ring and smack it with the hammer as you move the torches out then get them to do it NOW it's red hot,

if not then you have to move quick and do it yourself. :eusa_think: So think this first and have everything ready.

Now dont be a pussy hit the thing like you want to kill it 2x and I do mean hit it 2x if on the first it dosent just pop right off but dont let it cool in place till free of what ever you want it from.

Just dont heat the part you want it from at the same rate ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!..fast heat is the main trick to this working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can say it works for me and if you dont have the same results well your doing it wrong.Hope this help someone some time.

Dt50 out

Of course this all goes without saying wear your saftey glases and boots,, jackets,get your mommy to approve before attempting anything I say

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

LOL weding ring is the part that fit so tight to the shaft you cant get it off..but you haven't yet to experience that yet Foams.

Personally I've never had an issue with tight things on my shaft, but we all have different tastes haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wedding Ring?

Is that like an olive in plumbing, then?

Wedding Ring?

Is that like an olive in plumbing, then?

I don't know what you get up to but if you have olives in your plumbing I'd see a doctor!

In all honesty DT, I think this is lost on us Brits, what we call a wedding ring is this:

IMGP0339_zps0d74db91.jpg

I don't know what you get up to but if you have olives in your plumbing I'd see a doctor!

Olive:

install-slip-on-coupling.jpg

Part of a compression joint.

Looks like a wedding band, hence the term.

Olive:

install-slip-on-coupling.jpg

Part of a compression joint.

Looks like a wedding band, hence the term.

I was thinking of this:

e2asu4am.jpg

I think he's reffering to the inner race left stuck on the shaft :)

Ah, now i understand...

i usually just cut a slit in them with a disc cutter (angle grinder) and split them open with a chisel

Before the time you were half way done cutting I would have the new bearing installed and never chance dammaging the shaft.

Doing it my way takes 2-3 min to remove the bearing race.Next time you need to try it and you will never bother with cutting again

I guess the term 'wedding ring' is old as it refers to 2 round parts that once together will never come appart on thier own,,, together for life.Kinda like once you put that ring on your finger suposed to be there for life,but that rarely happens anymore.

But the term is still used here in different applications.Mainly when you have a bearing on a shaft and you need to keep it in one spot and the tube it goes into cant have a shoulder on either side to hold it in place and a cir clip wouldn't be strong enough,you would install a wedding ring on either side of the bearing to keep the bearing in place on the shaft.

And the trem is also used to when the bearing comes appart and you left with the inner race,"got the fn thing appart just the dam wedding ring left"

Hope that clears it up for you guys.

Task we call them olive's too

I guess the term 'wedding ring' is old as it refers to 2 round parts that once together will never come appart on thier own,,, together for life.Kinda like once you put that ring on your finger suposed to be there for life,but that rarely happens anymore.

But the term is still used here in different applications.Mainly when you have a bearing on a shaft and you need to keep it in one spot and the tube it goes into cant have a shoulder on either side to hold it in place and a cir clip wouldn't be strong enough,you would install a wedding ring on either side of the bearing to keep the bearing in place on the shaft.

And the trem is also used to when the bearing comes appart and you left with the inner race,"got the fn thing appart just the dam wedding ring left"

Hope that clears it up for you guys.

Task we call them olive's too

Cheers dt, we learn something new every day.

My wedding ring hasn't left my finger since the day I got married in 1977, and her name isn't Olive either.

Olive:

olives.jpg

When my wedding ring gets stuck i stick my shaft in her moth which gives enough lubrication to pull it off. i would stick my own shaft im my mouth but it tastes rather funny. like hot pennies for some reason.

Never had this problem as i've never done plumbing but handy little tip.

This has nothing to do with plumbing, but I envy you if she is that good to suck a wedding ring off Noise.lol

• Like 1