Spray Painting

jimmy
This post is 3859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dont know if this should be here or in the workshop, if its in the wrong place I'm sure Drewps will move it, anyway.....

I've just bought a compressor and a spray gun from LIDLs and my first job with it will be to spray my Bombardier tank. Who's willing to give me a step by step blow on preparing and spraying this tank.......

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've done a bit of spraying in the past Jimmy and it would take a day just to explain "how to" on here. Your best bet would to be have a look on youtube and watch a few vids to get you up and running, my only other advice would be get a heat lamp to help with the paint drying as it knocks hours off of the time it takes to get it dry.

PS how is your wife? hope she is still on the mend.

If you want to send me a PM with a phone number I will get back to you and try to tell you the best way I found of doing it but you better have a cup of tea and a fag handy as it will be a long conversation.

I'm crap at paint, but got ok results on my yellow dt.

Its all in the prep and patience while painting is a virtue!

Heres what i did:

take it to bare metal, wet and dry, and wipe clean with alcohol wipes.

spray with filler primer

flat back with wet and dry

Wipe with alcoholic wipes

spray with primer (either white or grey depending on paint colour)

flat back, wipe, prime again

flat back wipe

about 6 very thin coats of top coat

flat back with 1200 then 2000 grit wet and dry.

Decals

Lacquer

Only i didnt lacqeur mine and its diry now so will probs not get done until i cahnge my mind on the colour!

I seen that compressor in Lidl yesterday............ what a bargin! really wanted it but have no money :( plus i got kicked out for suposidly being rude to another polish customer.

THE BITCH

Well in short 1st clean it completly of any grease/dirt ect..

2nd get a paint mixing cup,this makes it easier to mix the hardner/thinner as the cup is marked for each.

3 spray the bottom and hard to get to places and work your way up for the first 2 coats,lay them light and alow to tack up between.

4 for the finnal coat move in a slow steady motion and look for it to be wet but not to heavy to start runs,if you get a run have some masking tape handy and pull the run off and alow to slightly tack before carring on.You can paint out the marks from pulling the run,or paint the run out to a edge then remove.

5 if it all goes to s3it grab you gun wash and whipe it all off this will save you from having to waite for it to dry and sand it all off.

Best tip's I can give you is to get a air regulator/water seperator as air get compressed it collects moisture and can wreck a perfect paint job,a wee bit of water and you get fish eyes( the paint opens up in small spots right back to the first coat). on the last coat.

wet down the area so no dust can float up and land in the paint,make a tempoary paint booth out of plastic sheeting.

Finnaly mix up some paint anyold paint and spray anything that could use to be painted,just to get used to how the trigger works on the gun first stage only air comes out second stage paint comes with,, the amount of paint depends on how far you pull the trigger,enamel paint is easier to work with as no clear coat is needed and you can get it pre mixed,or thin to your own liking.

Good luck and have fun

Cheers folks, not quite ready to start yet (need to get the wife to finish off the garage conversion first.....*) Once thats out the way I can start getting the Bombardier ready for use as the winter bike

* Obviously as I can now joke about it, it means she is on the mend. Luckily no damage to tendons, but the hand will be out of commission for at least 3 weeks (leastwise thats what her sick note says)

Slice

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it if I hit any snags

i don't know what spray gun you've got, but i'd say get a gravity fed gun like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spray-Gun-Air-Hose-Tool-Gravity-Fed-Touch-Up-UK-Euro-/350282889741?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item518e7cba0d

they work a lot better than venturi-fed guns, particularly with small volume stuff.

Ideally you sould wait till summer for spraying unless you have a spraybooth with heater's & extractor fan's you can do it in your shed

and like slice say's there's a lot of helpful clips on youtube, homemade spraybooth's etc.

Decals

Lacquer

Only i didnt lacqeur mine and its diry now so will probs not get done until i cahnge my mind on the colour!

Best lacquer over them decals [ petrol resistant] first time you spill on refueling , you"l lose the decals,, :eusa_doh:

You know what blackhat now you mention it I did lacquer them, but I haven't flatted it back! Was desperate to get it dirty! I only remember now you mention petrol resistant, it was dear!

Spraying isn’t easy I have done cars many years ago outdoors any yes got a run or to but looked a lot better than before I cut the rot out and welded metal in.

As has been said watch lots of videos then watch them again and for good luck watch them once more.

Don’t try and run before you can run, practice on something old and useless my mom and dad’s shed door was lots of colours inside.

It shouldn’t be too hard with small motorcycle components, not like a car roof or wing; the most important thing I can think of is keep the paint thin each coat thin. Spray it then when you think a coat is dry go have a cup of tea. Then when u think it is dry read the paper so you are sure.

A bit of an exaggeration but you get the point runs and sags are caused by too much paint or putting too many coats on before last has dried.

As the coats go on thin the paint so last coats are more thinners than paint.

Enjoy the experience and how very it turns out you had a go that is more than 99.99% will ever do and you will only get better

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online