What essential tools do you carry on your bike/person?

j0hn
This post is 4067 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had to change out a spark plug in a pinch so my spark plug wrench has certainly come in handy.

As sash says, and small ajustable spanner,[ incase mirrors slacken etc] the most used thing below the seat is visor wipe & spray,, :icon_wink:

I'm probably coming at this from a different angle as I have a new bike...

As a result, just the bike tools, an RAC membership card and mobile. I'm just on L plates and have a car so am rarely too far away from home on my bike.

So far (finger crossed) I've only ever had a puncture which RAC managed to plug so I could get on my way.

Before I leave the house I sense check my tyres, chain and lights, as well as letting the bike warm up (especially in the cold). I like to think they go some way in helping matters...!

Everywhere I go I've always got a rucksack, you never know what you might come across.

Everywhere I go I've always got a rucksack, you never know what you might come across.

what like

a bit of roadkill

or a midget needing a lift

I don't and haven't really got enough space on my bike to carry tools. The little compartment at the front barely has enough space to fit anything that's actually useful and under seat space is nonexistent - getting into it requires a tool too :(.

Like Grouch, I always have my back pack which always has my Insurance and MOT Certificate but more importantly, a disk lock. I also have a tiny coiled bicycle chain lock wrapped around my handle bar which I sometimes use to lock my helmet. I've use it to lock the frame to a bicycle lock stand/rack before merely as a deterrent.

I've had to change out a spark plug in a pinch so my spark plug wrench has certainly come in handy.

It seems a lot of riders carry spark plugs and I was wondering how often these actually "go out". I switched to one of those NGK Iridium plugs a while back and going by the hopes that it lives up to its hype. I don't think I have space to carry a plug and a wrench and my backpack is heavy as it is with a disk lock.

As posted by a few, a mini adjustable wrench doesn't sound too bad. Also noticed a comment about carrying a 90 degree air valve for those emergency flat tyre situations which would be pretty useful :P

It seems a lot of riders carry spark plugs and I was wondering how often these actually "go out". I switched to one of those NGK Iridium plugs a while back and going by the hopes that it lives up to its hype. I don't think I have space to carry a plug and a wrench and my backpack is heavy as it is with a disk lock.

You dont ride a 2stroke or ever have. Modern plugs are a million times better than 20 years ago. As are the oils but a plug on either of mine can go anytime.

Bit of carbon across the electrodes. Bit too much oil. Hell sometimes they just stop. Then work again later. I always have enough kit to swap a plug. You will lose skin on the tdr doing it though.

My pouch of tobacco, and money for a cuppa tea. Along with a set of Allen keys, small adjustable spanner, and up till last week end a mini can of WD40

Micro-Screwdriver set
Combitool - 8, 10 & 12mm sockets, screwdrivers, spanners, few allen keys.
Multi-tool - Pliers, blades, drivers, etc
Torch - Tactical type (aka portable sun)

Chances are if anything fails on this bike, I'll need more than just the tools to remove a panel or something!

I don't and haven't really got enough space on my bike to carry tools. The little compartment at the front barely has enough space to fit anything that's actually useful and under seat space is nonexistent - getting into it requires a tool too :(.

Like Grouch, I always have my back pack which always has my Insurance and MOT Certificate but more importantly, a disk lock. I also have a tiny coiled bicycle chain lock wrapped around my handle bar which I sometimes use to lock my helmet. I've use it to lock the frame to a bicycle lock stand/rack before merely as a deterrent.

As posted by a few, a mini adjustable wrench doesn't sound too bad. Also noticed a comment about carrying a 90 degree air valve for those emergency flat tyre situations which would be pretty useful :

Yeah the little space behind the panel is pointless lol. I don't think you need to carry your documents around with you. I always carry two disc locks. Might start carrying some basics though now.

Did you notice any difference with then iridium plug?

what like

a bit of roadkill

At least with roadkill you know what you're eating :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Standard bike tool kit. RAC card.

I got given a number to call for RAC and when I asked MCE about a card, they said if you quote your registration that'd be enough.

Yeah the little space behind the panel is pointless lol. I don't think you need to carry your documents around with you. I always carry two disc locks. Might start carrying some basics though now.

Did you notice any difference with then iridium plug?

Nah, you don't legally have to carry your documents but it saves me a trip if I am ever to get stopped. The two pieces of paper hardly adds to the weight anyway.

I did a little research about iridium plugs and they obviously have their advantages. It'll probably outlive a standard plug. I can't say I've noticed a difference and apparently it's meant to have better "ignition characteristics". It doesn't really warrant you going out and replacing your brand new standard plug but I guess if it's due a replacement, you can't really go wrong with an iridium plug and it's only really a few quids more.

My dad has a habit of hiding a small amount of "emergency" cash in the car, maybe around £5 to £10. That little panel is just enough to fit a £5 note :D.

RAC card here too, disc lock, money, emergency contacts on a note of paper, mobile phone with at least 50% battery life on all trips, visor cleaner & water repellent, plus extra pair of socks (my waterproof boots are not so waterproof).

(As for iridium plugs, understand they don't really offer that much extra unless the engine size is 'large' - hope that's wrong of course).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online