oil window

fishermanferg
This post is 2757 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope! I prefer a window to a dipstick to be honest

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Centre stand and a bright torch is all you need.

hate those windows, have to be in the praying position every time to check whilst balancing the bike on tipping point

What's a centre stand :-) I have to lean mine against the garage wall and try to hang onto the bars while also trying to peer into the gloom at the window, having to use reading glasses doesn't help as they tend to fall off while I am stooping down to look at the window.

Easiest way is to get a mate round to sit on it while you check the window.

• Like 2

On the TDM I use a block of wood under the side stand then its a lot easier just to tip the last few cm's.

I've since learned that if its on the side stand and the oil just peeps through the bottom, then that's full on upright position too

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drewpy said:

On the TDM I use a block of wood under the side stand then its a lot easier just to tip the last few cm's.

I've since learned that if its on the side stand and the oil just peeps through the bottom, then that's full on upright position too

Wow.. simple yet effective.. I just get on the floor and pull the bike upright and hope it doesn't fall on my head.. Think I'll look for a bit of wood next time.

I never get this.

If you know the oil level is correct just use a reference that works for you.

Certain point on the window, bent coat hanger dipped in the filler.

Doesent matter the angles as long as you check it in the same place.

To be honest Cynic that's how I do it, I have an old screwdriver that I use, it has a handle that wont fit through the filler hole so I can't loose it in there.

I was just trying to have a bit of fun in how I would have to check it otherwise, I always think the window should be on the other side of the engine, would make it easier.

You can get little telescopic engine bay inspection mirrors for a couple of quid - Sit on the bike yourself and then just stick this rod with a small 2.5" mirror down next to the window at a slight angle - Easy as pie.

You learn a few things as you get older! ;)

• Like 1

....and you can't stick anything into the oil filler of a XVS650 - or at least you can't on mine.  There is a metal 'shield' just inside the filler cap.

No metal shield in mine.

Inspection mirror is a good idea.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online