What bike next for a retired Grumpy old git?

mike1949
This post is 3494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Saw the new Vstrom today , they look cool, just like a tiger really, , Versy 650"are cheap [ new] the MT-7 yam is cheap too.

second hand beemers are good value,, I thot about them all , but the tiger is smooth /powerfull &nimble ,

I rode 300mls today on the TS250 , :yeah: [coz everybody turned up on wee bikes] it takes a lot of input, Am knackered tnt.

:sleeping:

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My TS250 has only done about 600 miles since the rebuild. Pretty shameful really. That includes 2 squires runs.

I know Andrew wants it, he just doesn't know it yet.

My TS250 has only done about 600 miles since the rebuild. Pretty shameful really. That includes 2 squires runs.

I know Andrew wants it, he just doesn't know it yet.

When I've passed my test......
  • Like 1

FJ1200
1TX, 3CV or 3XW models, the latter of which has an ABS variant.

You'll find a lot of older chaps really favour these and they are treasured by owners, some of whom run two or three at the same time!

GOOD POINTS
- 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds... but only if you make it. Otherwise, as nice and sedate as your throttle hand decides.
- 160mph top speed. And yes, it will... but only if you make it. Outside of that, it sits happily at whatever speed you decide. Motorways are your playground!
- Roll-on. Any gear at any speed. 1st gear will take you well past 75mph, or you can sit in 4th all day. There is virtually no rev range or power band. It just works. But when you're rolling on, there is nothing else on the planet quite as good as the FJ!
- Build quality. This bike is a tank. I was rear-ended at 60mph while stationary. The bike flipped up and landed with its full weight on the left side. Aside from a broken rotor cover and slight rear wheel damage, the thing was still raring to go!
- Durability. These things WILL go round the clock, sometimes more than twice. 50k clocked means the bike is just about broken in!
- Ease of maintenance. Pop the seat and tank off and almost everything you need is right there within very easy reach. There are a few things behind the front fairing, but the whole assembly just pops off with 4 bolts and away you go.
- Comfort. It is a sheer mile muncher. You will be knackered well before the bike ever is!
- All Rounder. I commute, travel, play around and do everything on mine. As with all bikes, you need to be used to it before you go filtering, but it handles very well when you do.
- Cost. You can find one in very good nick for under £900. As mentioned, owners treasure these, so most are well cared for. Parts are cheap and plentiful, too.
- Owners Club. Not much into these myself, but these guys are seriously into this bike. There is even the Club Mechanic who has made a living doing nothing but servicing the FJ for 23 years.
- Insurance & tax. This year is the bike's 30th Anniversary. Many places now recognise it as a Classic and you pay accordingly!

BAD POINTS
- Fuel costs. It's a 1200cc carburetted bike. Not especially amazing on the economy... but for what it is, you still get a flippin' decent amount out of the 22L tank.
- Tyres. Crossply only... or so it is said. However, some places, like Avon, offer Radials that do fit properly, or you can swap out for FZR1000 (Exup/Genesis) wheels to permit Radials easy enough.
- Weight. It is 266kg, which is 42 stone. It takes a while to get used to. However, once you're used to it, away you go!
- Heat. It can get a bit hot, but only if you're sat in traffic. Learn to filter or pull over for a cuppa!

Cheers Ttasky, that's the sort of bike I'm after. Looks very comfortable riding, a bit similar to mine but with more power which will be ideal for two up on motorway. I will think long and hard because I've got til August to decide.

Thanks again everyone.

The shorter version of all the above is: It's insanely cool!! :D

Mike just had my Insurance quote back for the FJ, £62 fully comp and inc leathers helmet and legal. As I'm a tiny bit younger than you it might mean that they will pay you to ride it :biglaugha: anyway just thought you might like to know. :jossun:

Cheers Slice. We're going to have to meet up sometime. Although I now consider myself a Wiltshire'ite I was actually born and bred in Gloucestershire, In fact from a town not very far from you.

Love to Mike, I am a foreigner here but both my boy's are Gloucestershire lads so at least the locals will talk to them, only been here about 35 years so still a newcomer as far as the locals are concerned. :biglaugha:

Yamaha XJR1300.

Hairy chested mans bike. Solid, simple, and a better chassis and brakes than the FJ's (though I like them too but getting long in the tooth)

Plenty of good used ones about in UK and Oz. Good parts supply and knowledge in mechanical circles.

No sooks fairings, electric suspension, cruise, heated grips or seats to scratch, crack, break or flatten the battery (or make ya go soft).

Get a pre fuel injected one and enjoy real back to basics biking with plenty of chrome and alloy to polish on rainy afternoons........

Johnnyboy Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Getting back on this topic, I have been looking at a couple of xj900's which is the same as mine but obviously more gumph in the engine but they have got 47K (1998) and 49K (1996) on the clock. But look very tidy. Is 47/49K high mileage for that sort of bike?

Yeah you MIGHT have to change the oil and filter, these things are bullet proof and if treated right can go round the clock before you need to tinker with them.

Yeah you MIGHT have to change the oil and filter, these things are bullet proof and if treated right can go round the clock before you need to tinker with them.

Cheers Slicey boy. That's more or less what I had hoped to hear.

Hi

I have had a Divi 900, and from 97 to 2010 it never missed a beat, I changed out the hoses for braided steel, the original exhaust rotted out at the collector box and a motad stainless steel copy with motad original looking silencers kept the looks standard, the fuel tank sender needed changing, the centre stand cracked after about 8 years,I brought new but welded the old one so ended up with a spare, I painted the rear swing arm once because of bubbling paint, and greased the rear suspension links once or twice, the oil cooler pipes are mild steel tubes at the front of the engine so they need to be cared for,

I now have a FJR ( I like shafties) but I would probably swap back if I could find a divi with a good luggage set up as although the FJR is wicked quick (could do with 6th gear) and out stops the Divi with ease, I miss the Divi's plain simple abilities,

22132_1132599894007_5635759_n.jpg?oh=810199618_1011848435296_114913_n.jpg?oh=640

I agree with Nayruf, i have never owned a XJ900 but helped fix my mates 87 Xj900 for him it was a top end re-build but that was purly down to the fact he snapped an exhaust studd off and took half the cylinder head off with it. Other than that and the exhaust rooting out from the collector box and the odd rust bubbles on the swing arm the thing runs like a dream, loads of pulling power and once its cruising its brillant!

And i think it had done about 73-80k miles

Its a very tight gear box too mate low mileage and always got a wet sump.

I've got an XJR1300 and a 1987 FJ1200 1TX. If most of your riding will be motorway or long distance go for the FJ the fairing keeps the wind and the weather off pretty well but enables you to do much higher speeds quite comfortably, and even the 1 TXs not the best handling FJ is easy to get carried away on if the odd sports bike annoys you. Where as the XJR does not have the top end of the FJ and because there is no fairing is often a licence saver uncomfortable at high speed due to wind buffeting, but once you get used to muscling it round they handle surprisingly well enough, not to have chicken strips on the tyres. Both bikes easy to service Loads of spares available if you're unlucky enough to need any and the same brilliant air cooled reliable lump.