What bike next for a retired Grumpy old git?

mike1949
This post is 3493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Seriously now, I've just retired at Easter. Am currently riding a 600cc Diversion, which has been fantastic over the last eight years getting me to work and back in all weathers. But now I want to do more mileage as in Motorway and A roads up to 100 miles each way especially on a Tuesday night when the local football season starts. Most of the time it will be only me on it but I must cater for me + 1. Although I would prefer a Yam I would seriously think of another make as I will still keep the Divvy. A bit of info from Bippos Tiger would help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I met a guy who has just bought an MT09 and he only went into the shop for an air filter!!

loads of torque and power but the styling gets a bit of getting used to, but its still a triple

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/new-bikes/2013/may/jun1113-new-yamaha-mt09-breaks-cover/

Any middleweight would do it Mike. Something with a little faring and some panniers/topbox would do and that covers most things. I would seriously look at a Honda VFR.

A bit of info from Bippos Tiger would help.

Okey dokey... I'll try and be as honest as I can... But please note that this is my first big bike, so other than learning on a Kawasaki ER-6n, I can't really compare it against any other 'proper' bike.

GOOD POINTS

- Build quality. Mine is used all year round and stored outside. Doesn't really get cleaned much but still looks cracking after I do clean it. It's also now currently used on a daily commute into Central London - 600 miles a week but you wouldn't know it to look at it.

- The headlight. Wow...

- Entertainment factor. The engine has such a good torque range - it'll pull in any gear, with ease. It's also silky smooth, including the gearbox.

- Adjust the rear shock and carrying a pillion is effortless. And that's me saying that with minimal experience. The moment you start moving the weight disappears. On that point of view, users on the Tiger forum comment on how comfortable they say their pillions find the bike.

- I've yet to notice any effect of having the bike loaded with luggage, still handles as if it doesn't have anything on board.

- Customer service from Triumph. I have needed to use them personally myself, but I always read comments on how they fix out of warranty issues free of charge.

- Mine has 11,000 miles on it within a year. I needed to adjust the chain once in that time but other than that it's just followed standard service intervals and not caused me any issues.

BAD POINTS

- Service costs. But perhaps a moot point if you're handy with a spanner. The bike is easy enough to work on.

- The screen. It's a common complaint amongst buyers, but please appreciate the many variables and also the fact that adventure bikes aren't really aerodynamic. Personally for me it works, although I have installed a screen extender so that I can keep my visor up on the motorway.

- The stepper motor can be a bit of a bugger if it gets dusty - and this can prevent the bike from starting. Mine has only bothered me once, but others have had it pack up altogether. That said, it all appears to have been fixed free of charge, even when out of warranty.

- The stock tyres on the road version (can't comment on the XC) are pretty terrible. Some people replace them straight away. I got 7,000 miles out of mine before swapping to PR4's. For someone who is only on the road these tyres are fantastic and completely transformed the bike. It no longer gets sucked into grooves in the road, tips into bends better, allows you to lean over more and provides greater confidence in wet conditions. However I will add that I never lost grip with the stock tyres and I road them through winter.

If we lived closer, I'd happily let you take mine for a spin or come and view it. Just let me know if you have any other questions as I doubt I've included everything!

I love the bike and if I had the space and money I'd keep it, but I have to admit I'm currently looking for something smaller and lighter to make the London commute a little easier. I'm gutted, but if have to make a choice at the end of the day.

• Like 2

Bippo, if you replace it and want to keep the adventure type, look at the V Strom 650 (new version) very fuel efficient and reliable workhorse. Only issue is paint is a bit thin in some areas and needs servicing every 3,500 miles which is crap (but the new 1000 has services every 7500 miles so you could prob follow that if not fussed about warranty?)

• Like 1

Apologies for hijacking this thread (and maybe lowering the tone!) but, Bippo - can you tell me more about the silky smooth gear box?? :)

Andrew - you are a bad man!!

Interesting read Bippo.

I guess that the TDM and Vstrom could be contenders for Mike if he wants that style. I do love a V twin.

Sorry! Just felt I had to get in before Foams woke up! V. interesting read and committed to memory for when the kids leave home.

Back on topic Mike, why not one of the bigger Yams? Tasky Dutch and I have the FJ and the FJR is a nice bike, they don't cost a lot to buy and go like stink, easy to service at home and don't have all this fancy electrical gubbins that seems to be the rage at the moment, plus did I mention that they "GO LIKE STINK" !!!! Just a thought but you should have a look at one, the build quality is ok and the parts are not to expensive plus there are a load of people out there that really are the best at everything FJ (Fj owners club) and if you can get to Fudge motorcycles down near Dursley (Gloucestershire) they will welcome you in with a cup of tea and fix your bike while talking about bikes. As I said just my ten pence worth but if your not looking for a NEW bike then you could do worse. :jossun:

• Like 2

Thanks everybody especially Bippo for all your inputs, it gives me food for thought. I will look at some of the suggested, the FJ and FJR I will give serious thought.

Grouchy..... No way will you see me on a Goldwing, their not bikes, they are two wheeled cars.

• Like 1

Apologies for hijacking this thread (and maybe lowering the tone!) but, Bippo - can you tell me more about the silky smooth gear box?? :)

Sweet Jesus man...! Ha ha! Maybe I'll let you try it at Squires... ;-)

Hmm...

Sweet Jesus man...! Ha ha! Maybe I'll let you try it at Squires... ;-)

Hmm...

Mistake No. 1 Bips

• Like 1

I notice the lack of support for the Beemers, Are they not a good buy?

Thanks everybody especially Bippo for all your inputs, it gives me food for thought. I will look at some of the suggested, the FJ and FJR I will give serious thought.

Grouchy..... No way will you see me on a Goldwing, their not bikes, they are two wheeled cars.

Sorry mike - I have no experience on proper bikes! Love the look of Tigers and other adventure types though

I notice the lack of support for the Beemers, Are they not a good buy?

Tommy rode one for his off-road competition win. Maybe he could part with some advice?

They certainly seem popular enough out there on the road.

Is there a certain style of bike you're interested in Mike? Sport tourer, adventure bike etc? Or is it just a case of something that is fun and more than capable of longer jaunts?

Mistake No. 1 Bips

As easy as it would be to keep the tone in the gutter, out of respect for the institution of marriage I shall say thank you, but would never forgive myself if I damaged your bike :)

ybygery8.jpg

I did indeed, but don't think I got out of second gear so couldn't really give a full opinion, did have a fantastic time on it though, was a bit rough on the gear change but they did take a bit of a bashing up there. If I was looking for a bigger bike, I think if I could afford one that is, a Bonneville. I had a go on Jimmy's on the way home, grin from ear to ear :hyper: