Touchscreen phones and gloves - what's the answer ?

g1hsg
This post is 3608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having just suited and gloved up yesterday my phone rang. I got it out of my bag easily enough but then disaster ! The glove material is an electrical insulator so wouldn't activate the touchscreen and I didn't really want to de-glove.but it was an important call that I needed to take. I thought initially that my nose would suffice just to answer the call but regrettably my nose appears to be clad in skin that is also an insulator ( and I have been blessed with a nose that would give Karl Malden a run for his money so hitting the intended spot would have been a challenge anyway ). In desperation I decided that my tongue would have to do. I did manage to answer the call but I would like to apologise to any visitors to Wigan Town centre who were unsettled by the sight of a slightly overweight middle aged man alternately wiping his nose and then licking his phone whilst swearing profusely. I'd go down the Bluetooth route but as a new rider I really don't need any distractions.

Neil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some gloves have small hard dots on the index fingers to help push buttons. Not sure they would help with a touchscreen. Just make sure you have the answer phone on.

Hi Neil, I have a bluetooth helmet which works for me as it answers the phone on the 3rd ring automatically so no taking your gloves off. One thing I was told was that if you lick the gloved finger it helps to make it conductive so it will sometimes let you answer the phone, not sure it works all the time but my mate said that it works for him but licking the end of my gloves for any reason I would probably need a tetanus shot afterwards. :jossun::biglaugha:

You can buy a solution (can't remember the name, Google it. Think Geek probably have it, too) that you paint on to material, such as gloves, which will give you the same capacitive dots as mentioned above.

when your on your bike,,,

you should stick your phone up your arse...

it's not safe , even with bluetooth .

My phone gets left at home when im on the bike, just so that 'er in doors cant keep asking how long im going to be and where i am.

My phone has a "glove mode" on it so you can use it with gloves on.

I have a Nokia Lumia, the advertising blurb says the screen can set to high sensitivity so that it works with gloves, amazingly it actually does work with gloves, wouldn't be able to text but can press the answer button ok.

Note: Obviously not while riding along :-)

Thanks for all the pointers. sods law will now dictate that I never find my self in that position again. My phone stays in my backpack when I'm riding and I'd normally have let it go to voicemail but I was waiting for a call from the hospital about my mother in law (no jokes please - she's an absolute diamond).

Neil

• Like 1

I have a Bluetooth helmet that connects to my phone but to answer a call you have to touch the button on the side of the helmet. if I don't want to answer it I just don't push it.

I answer to my phone from my GPS... also i can set this to answer automatically. if I don`t have the gps with me, I can answer from my cardo scala raider pushing a button or set to automatically answer.

Thanks for all the pointers. sods law will now dictate that I never find my self in that position again. My phone stays in my backpack when I'm riding and I'd normally have let it go to voicemail but I was waiting for a call from the hospital about my mother in law (no jokes please - she's an absolute diamond).

Neil

my mother in law is so fat , that when she walks backwards she beeps. :biglaugha:

• Like 1

Mother In Law = Woman Hitler

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mate. This is my first post after introducing myself so I don't want to come over all, "know it all", but you can get some conductive tread from ebay and sew it onto the fingertip of your glove. Cost effective and no new tech to learn how to use!

Hello mate. This is my first post after introducing myself so I don't want to come over all, "know it all", but you can get some conductive tread from ebay and sew it onto the fingertip of your glove. Cost effective and no new tech to learn how to use!

No need to apologise, all contributions gratefully accepted. I'm off to eBay now then.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the new samsung galaxy s5 has an additional screen sensitivity setting within the phone, pretty cool feature for bikers out there but not sure if that would work with all gloves not mention the price of it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you can buy standard wooly gloves etc with special tips on the fingers for touch screen phones/tablets but, as far as I know there are no motorcycle gloves which you can use with a touch screen.

As I say above I can answer my Nokia Lumia 510 with my motorcycle gloves on, the only problem is without my reading glasses I can't see the ruddy thing...

I'd still advocate the paint-on stuff.

Stitching things on is time-consumingly fiddly and can compromise the integrity/waterproofing of your gloves.

I have some 'Rev It' summer gloves with e-tips, works pretty well with my phone!

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/revit_motorcycle_summer_gloves_dirt_2_black

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online