Crashed today - all ok

twincle
This post is 3778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Forgive me if a rant or a bit boring but some of you can relate to this :eusa_shifty: Had my first crash today on black ice.

Traveling down a country road, approached sharp right hander, no indication of ice as it was sunny and warming up. As I started the bend i was instantly planted on the floor making a physical check of the tarmac listening to the slide of the bike going westward. As soon as i hit the floor, in an instant I managed to think of a few things:

• WTF????
  • Bikes gone, shit I'm off
  • Why am I off? God damn I can feel sheet ice below me
  • I'm okay, just sliding
  • i remember no cars in area, just wait till i stop
  • (at stop) mental checked myself over before moving - no pain

There was an old fella at a nearby bus stop (country one where a bus a week comes - so amazing timing) who was about 90 and probably worried the hell out of him :shakeno: With little or no injury my next concern was to get the bike up (luckily i had actually hit the kill switch by accident when i came off). A passing cyclist pulled up to help and as he got off his push bike he almost came a cropper too and only just managed to stay on his feet. Anyway we handle the bike up and after a quick switch off and on with the key it starts 1st time :D

As for damage I mashed the crash slider which did amazingly well to stop lots of body panel and other damage and are the R&G aerofoil type, bent the brake pedal and cracked the rear hugger. I had a spare set of bungs so had that replaced pretty quick, pulled out the pedal with mulgrips and super-glued the hugger (i'll melt Lego over it to fix it if i have to as i refuse to spend £150 on a crappy bit of plastic :crazy: )

Now with the demise of Heine Gericke, a lot of people complain of their quality as a contributor to their ending but i have one of their own jackets and even though i slid quite far I didn't even get a scratch on it or the trousers :)

I have a couple of photos here: https://www.facebook.com/anthonywhincup/posts/10152137516181779?comment_id=32369831&notif_t=like

Moral of 'my' story

The dreaded ICE is here so please take extra care

Fit protection like bungs/slider it'll save a few tears

Wear proper gear

Be nice to the cyclist - he may be lifting your bike up for you :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pleased your not injured, and bike ok

Coldest morning of the year around here too this morning, pavement outside the house was sheet glass, but got onto the road ok

Signs to look out out for when its like this

Roadside hedges: ice thaws slowly(if at all) as the low sun cant get onto it

Under trees: same as above

Under bridges:same as above

Kep off the big white arrows and letters

Keep of the white areas of zebra crossings

People washing cars at the roadside

Yep, I can relate to that - Sucks, doesn't it!!

Glad you're unhurt, glad you were wearing decent kit and even gladder that the bike seems OK! :icon_razz:;)

Yamaha build some pretty solid machines and crash protection is always a good purchase!

You'll possibly be stiff and sore for the next few days, but get any worries checked over by a doc.

Happy to hear you're ok mate, and the bike. Had a similar spill on Christmas day last year, except it was a patch of diesel.

Twisted the forks in my yokes so I had to steer at half lock to go in a straight line haha. Made for an interesting 12 miles home!

• Like 1

Yep feeling a bit stiff today in the shoulder but no real pain. Drivings a bit jittery on corners today, which is to be expected I supposed, but I'll settle again. It doesn't help i put a new rear tyre on today and its been piddling down, so I've been extra careful ;)

Ooh... glad to hear you're ok! Sounds quite scary! Think I'll wait for the snow and ice to melt here before I get the bike back out. Unless... maybe I'll put some screws through the old tires and make an ice bike. ??? Hmmm

Take care!

Ooh er... Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're alright and glad the crash protection did a good enough job.

The day you posted this it was particularly icy out, I nearly stacked it on the morning dog walk. Embarrassing...

Bad luck to hit the ice but glad there's no serious damage to you or the bike. Also glad to see it hasn't put you off riding.

Glad you're ok. I had a near miss myself that morning - luckily nothing coming the other way as I used the whole road to keep upright!

Lol apparently its called a 'spill' and ive been warned to expect a few more :eusa_whistle:

Yup, but still worth it once you have the biker bug. You know, :crazy: