Study shows that Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel

Lee@Bikesure
This post is 3803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A study from an insurance underwriting firm, Equity Red Star has suggested that people who ride motorcycle's are 23% less likely to have a claim in a car than those who don't own a motorcycle.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/motorcyclists-23-better-behind-the-wheel-of-a-car/23971.html

There's a bit of debate in office as to whether this is because bikers are better drivers or whether they just use their car 23% less.

Personally, I think it's a bit of both.

What do you think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Agreed that yes most bikers will hardly use there cage, BUT and it is a big but, us bikers are shown / learn how to actually look out for hazzards etc etc, yes granted car drivers do too but as soon as they pass their test they are then in an indestructable mega machine which only God him self can damage so they no longer need to remember how to look out for a hazzard / biker / OAP with decrepid 3 legged jack russle crossing a well lit zebra crossing. All they need to remember is how to change their newly installed CD player with blue tooth etc etc

I found I was more aware of the road after I started riding. Think it's true.

Men are statistically 4 times more likely to have an accident than women.

Men also statistically drive something like 8 times further, 8 times more hours and 8 times more frequently than women.

Men are also far more likely to be professional drivers than women.

Statistics can skew things very badly. Kinda like how 60% of bikers do not pay annual road tax - They buy 6-monthly instead, but they ignored this part!

• Like 1

I Always buy 6 moths tax for the bike as i don't ride my belovid in the winter months

I was a "professional" driver for 20 odd years (Ambulance service), had all sorts of defensive driving courses and have been riding a bike since I was 14, I have had 1 accident since I got my car driving licence, my fault as well drove in to a concrete pillar in a car park !!!! Am I good or just lucky I wonder? 6 months on the bike (summer) and 6 months in the car (winter) most every year. I think we are more aware of our surroundings because we ride bikes because if you get it wrong on a bike you pay in pain and suffering, just thought of another accident I had many years ago, I was 16 and filtering through traffic when a guy pulled out of a junction through traffic and I cut the front of his car off, spent 2 months in hospital broke enough bones to know when winter is coming sort of my fault as I was wayyyyy over the speed limit. All this has nothing to do with percentages or statistics it's all about self preservation.

as biker you pay more attention to the road so I think a biker "vision" of the road is better than a car driver... I think is true, bikers are better car drivers than others.

I Always buy 6 moths tax for the bike as i don't ride my belovid in the winter months

We have no choice across the water here,,,,,,,, you have to tax bike for a full year

Well thats pretty shite, can you tax a cage for 6 months? if so why are they making a different rule up for bikes even tho (as we all know) we dont destroy the roads and reduce congestion etc etc etc

Well thats pretty shite, can you tax a cage for 6 months? if so why are they making a different rule up for bikes even tho (as we all know) we dont destroy the roads and reduce congestion etc etc etc

Yea, you can tax a cage for 3, 6, or 12 months.

There just a shower of cnut's that don't like bikes on the roads,,,,,,,,,,, same as every country

Men are statistically 4 times more likely to have an accident than women.

Men also statistically drive something like 8 times further, 8 times more hours and 8 times more frequently than women.

Men are also far more likely to be professional drivers than women.

Statistics can skew things very badly. Kinda like how 60% of bikers do not pay annual road tax - They buy 6-monthly instead, but they ignored this part!

So if we are 4 time more likely to have an accident but, we drive 8 times further, 8 times in hours and 8 time more often lets do the maths.

4 div by 8 = 0.5

0.5 div 8 =0.0652

0.0652 div 8 = 0.0078125.

or

8*8*8=512 more

So by percentage we are far better as we are less likey to have a crash all thing being equal. :1poke:

• Like 1

Preload NO ON LIKES A SMART ARSE !!!!! :rofl: But I like someone who is right, can you tell my wife that I am actually better than her, I will be hiding in the cupboard with a box of bandages !!!!!! :biglaugha::biglaugha:

So if we are 4 time more likely to have an accident but, we drive 8 times further, 8 times in hours and 8 time more often lets do the maths.

No no no... We are 4 times more likely to have an accident, BECAUSE we drive 8 times as much.

In other words, women crash far less, because they're hardly ever out there!!

It was to show how quoting one statistic out of context of the others totally skews everything, which many papers do on purpose.

• Like 1

I do agree here, I became a better, more aware driving when I got my Miata, very small car given the fact I work and drive near tractor trailers a lot (YIKES) but being on the bike opened my eyes even more, (given that there is a lot more open space around you without pillars blocking the view) but either way it is fun to not have to sick in traffic wasting money but sitting on a road parking lot.

I think I was better BEFORE I got my motorcycle.

I think better drivers are the ones who buy motorcycles, because I have friends who drive cars that I would actually talk OUT of buying a motorcycle because I'd be scared for their life, because they suck at driving.

I've done the same thing Felix. One still bought a bike and promptly went into rear of a low loader and broke both his legs. You can only try.

just thought of another accident I had many years ago, I was 16 and filtering through traffic when a guy pulled out of a junction through traffic and I cut the front of his car off, spent 2 months in hospital broke enough bones to know when winter is coming sort of my fault as I was wayyyyy over the speed limit

hey slice how the fuck does that slip your mind ????

nige

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online