Bike getting sorted out, once and for all!

Grouch
This post is 4083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Luckily they were expecting the brake disc today so they haven't started any work on it. I have phoned them and instructed them to look at the engine first. I was thinking about this the other day and forgot. Thanks Preload, you may have saved me a lot of money.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bloody hell Grouch, they are waiting to chop off an arm and a leg and you FORGOT!! I would be sitting outside the shop waiting for the parcel of disks to arrive. Got to up your game mate. Don't let this get away from you, the more you let others decide what needs doing the more it will cost. YOU TELL THEM not the other way round. I'm thinking of upping my estimate!! A whole bag of TURNIPS. :jossun::biglaugha::biglaugha:

I see your bet Slice and i up you a sprout and a carrot

The guys at the garage just work there, they don't own it, so they don't have out to gain by ripping me off. Also I have made it clear top then that I will not be taken for a fool. They seem like nice enough blokes and they have repaired my bike before, new front disc and speedo fitting (remember all the fuss about my speedo).

Ok Grouch enough taking the piss, we will all now behave!! Oh and where do you want me to send the TURNIPS Sprouts Carrots and Lucozade bottles? :eusa_whistle:

I say they are draging thiere feet should have had the eng sorted by now and a proper full estimate,I have no idea about repair time your way,but short of a complete eng rebuild or some back order part on a slow boat from japan 2-3 days is the norm for me and most of the shops in and around here. Like my teacher said if you can't figure out why a bike wont run in 2-3 hrs your not doing the tests right,a week to get a disc and figure out what's wrong is way too long, your bike is so simple to get at the elec's that within a hour 1/2 I would have tested everything related to the no start tops and had a answer for you.

Ps I sent 2 of my best homing chickens your way just in case 1 got lost :biglaugha:

Last Wednesday they told me the disc was out of stock and will take 5 days to come. It should be done in a few days. They are taking the piss now though.

Sorry Grouch

But when you give a garage a fix it list including

New horn
New electric start
Bash plate attaching
Stand tightening
Sidelight bulb replacing/ fixing

and then state

Also I have made it clear top then that I will not be taken for a fool.

It sort of contradicts itself.

Once again sorry mate, I'll go for £575 + vat

If the shop comes back at 575.00 you got hosed...Your bike still ran right? just the wheel bearings stop you right? And they should have done that by now at least ?If so go pick up your bike thank them for there time and get dirty. Don't tell them your comming just show up I would say 1 hr is far labour to pay for the wheel brngs and disc replacement. + towing on top and get it out.

The bash plate you can figure it out most likey the bolts fell out, the side light well ?? burnt out ,when john ( not sure on that) changed his light on the same bike he posted here that his bike wouldn't start, changed it back to stock and no problem,not sure why.

I will help you get through it And I'm sure other will as well but you will need a multi meter ,test light and the manual. And a tube of dielectric grease to grease every connection in the wireing harness and while your doing that check ever connection for corrosion or burnt wires.Sound like alot of work but in reality only a hr or less.

First we gona check that you have power to the starter selonoid ( battery to selonoid),then power to the small wire at the sol when the button is pressed,then power going to the starter (sel to starter) while the button is pressed. This you will need the mulit meter to chec the amount of voltage that is going through. 15 min job tops.

Then we check the pick up coil resistance, this you might need a hair drier to warm it up to 20deg C and a thermometer to check the temp for acurate results all elecs get check at 20c. Then the spark coil it's self if both test fine then the last thing to do is change the cdi so long as you didn't find any corroded or burn wires again a 15-20 min job.Changing out the pick up coil is a 20 min job coil or cdi 5 min.

The horn is simple ...test light on wire at horn press button if light lights up then replace horn.

So see how my labour charges would work out any more than 4 hr labour and you got screwed so 160 labour+ parts your guys prices , as I found them on different sites,I'm laied up from a snowmobile crash (twisted knee and ankel ski got hooked in a fence and threw me off) last weekend and boared so i looked around.

15 pads

60 rotor

12 wheel brngs

10 horn

65 starter

130 cdi

290.00+160=450.00 but it shouldn't take 4 hrs more like 2.5-3 I know I said 2-3 to figure out non running but I was refering to a gold wing that takes a hr to get to the test locations not a dirt bike that takes less that 15 min to strip the body work off

when john ( not sure on that) changed his light on the same bike he posted here that his bike wouldn't start, changed it back to stock and no problem,not sure why

Yea, this was the only thing that I changed prior to bike not starting up. I still believe the 55W was just too high for the battery or the condition it was in, that's not to say the battery was old, maybe a few months tops. Replaced to stock 35W and no problems.

Taking the whole wisdom of the crowd approach, you are likely to hit £500. If I were to get quoted such an absurd amount, I wouldn't even think of letting them play with it. No doubt the rip off factor is exponential with that amount of work to be done. I guess I can see where you are coming from when it comes to DIY. The fear of starting to fix something on your own and you end up making a bigger mess of it costing you more than what it would have been to get it fixed at the garage. Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith and go for it. Yes there is a possible worse outcome but with the wealth of knowledge online and specially on this forum, you should be thinking more positively.

Time is also a big constraint and I would be a hypocrite to say there is no way you don't have enough "free time". Like you said, sometimes you just want to come home and relax and not worry about starting something big, I'm pretty much the same. I was quoted £140 to supply and fit heated grips and recently saved around £70 - £100 changing the rear brake pads. These prices may not seem much to some people but it was enough for me to make some free time. I ended up doing both myself (with help from my dad) and both at night. It was a nightmare to get the grips fitted, had spent a good few hours and somehow managed to snap the little brake light switch (for the front brake) so I ended up standing for about an hour holding on to the switch while the super glue dried in - it's now replaced with a brand new one of course. Didn't get to bed until 2-3am that day but it was worth the hassle and I would do it all over again to save that £140 and to gain that bit of knowledge.

Sometimes working on something alone can be daunting and I really appreciate my dad for staying up late helping me get my bike sorted. It might be a little less stressful to get a (competent) friend or family member around when you attempt to DIY.

tl;dr Got motivated enough to DIY, lots of hassle but worth every minute of it and cash still in pocket.

• Like 2

Thinking back now, the engine problem started when I changed the bulb for a xenon one. Still no news from garage will phone them in the morning.

Yeah Grouch, I rang them for you today, they told me they had to buy a new ink cartridge for the invoice to be printed (not much in the old one or summat) and that they'd be in touch just as soon as they get one :)

Yeah Grouch, I rang them for you today, they told me they had to buy a new ink cartridge for the invoice to be printed (not much in the old one or summat) and that they'd be in touch just as soon as they get one :)

:babyha::babyha: ,,,,,, And 50dt , wtf does Hosed mean " -- :babyha: am picturing pissed on,= :lol: = :chair: Grouch"o " you"v lined yoursell up for this lots pisstaking,,,,its entertaining,,,, worth the £500 itself,,,,, :yeah:

Grouch'o

For 200 odd more you could buy this

DavieCarmichaelsDiversionandXS250USCusto

Why dont ya tell garage ya have no money at the min and you want your bike back.

You'll have it fixed in no time at all.

Seriously dude !!!

Are you all sitting down? The price to get it all running again, bearings/pads/discs/electrics!!!!! £357.68,

But!!!! Deduct more because the electrical/engine problem was down to a shagged battery, but I have a brand new spare at home, so deduct money for that.

But needs a few bits for M.O.T. Like a spoke, chain guard, reflectors.

Not bad at all.. well played..Hope they do a good job and the bikes like new.

Ref the battery, hope they aren;t taking a wild guess on that but time will tell (should change my name to Cynic too!)

Not bad at all.. well played..Hope they do a good job and the bikes like new.

Ref the battery, hope they aren;t taking a wild guess on that but time will tell (should change my name to Cynic too!)

No they checked it all yesterday and it was the battery, luckily I bought one last year but never used it. No more fucking mechanics, all work is getting undertaken by me in the future. I will only go to a garage if I am incapable of a D.I.Y. job.

Well done Grouch, about bloody time to, glad to hear that NEXT time you will DIY it, now I have to go and find someone else to take the piss out of. :jossun:

so will the diy be starting with the reflectors and chain guard??

and i think you done alright there money wise.

my only concern is your replacement battery, you said you bought it last year and its been sat around at home doing nowt... it may be shagged, dried out and wont hold a charge now, for the sake of another £30 i would be getting a new one.

and then every sat morning i would be out there cleaning and checking, and tightening things all basic maintenance. two hours tops....