Bike Cutting Out And Not Restarting

Grouch
This post is 4093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I was about fifteen miles from home and my bike started cutting out when I was stationary at lights etc. At first the bike would kick up again, but then it wouldn't. When I did manage to get it to start I had to use the choke, otherwise it would cut out again. Eventually it cut out and would not kick up again at all. I managed to bump it off and get home with the choke on. When I got home I left the bike for about six hours before I had to go to work, and it kicked up straight away. This morning the bike started first time and after I had warmed it up for ten minutes I turned the choke off and it cut out again, surprise surprise I had to bump it again. I daredn't go out on it now in case I get stranded. Has anyone got any suggestions to what the cause could be?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like crap has been dragged through from the tank into the carb... whip the carb off and give it a thorough clean including removing the jets... get yourself a tin fo carb cleaner and squirt the stuff in every hole etc to make sure theres no shite in there...

once its spotless as is the case with my RXS it runs like a champ :D

oh and make sure the fuel flow is reaching the carb properly

I don't have a clue about the carb, if I take it off I don't know I'd be able to fix it and put it back on correctly. I would end up making it worse.

It seems to have sorted itself out now. I think it's because I run the bike dry out of petrol the other day and some shit has got into the system.

easy way for you to sort it grouch

goto asda and buy some redex(you'll find it at the car stuff) costs £3

pour some into your petrol tank and go for a run

when you refuel add a little and it will clean out your carbs

easy way for you to sort it grouch goto asda and buy some redex(you'll find it at the car stuff) costs £3 pour some into your petrol tank and go for a run when you refuel add a little and it will clean out your carbs
Cheers Gizmo, I'll buy some and try that. I always wondered what that stuff was for.

Sounds like a blocked jet or maybe an air leak?

• 3 weeks later...

Check your valve timing, mine cut out occasionally... Then I opened her up and adjusted to 0.08mm on the inlet and 0.12mm on the exhaust valve and now it doesn't cut out and just runs smoother in general...

If you are having to choke it than it means its getting too much air and not enough fuel. Choking minimizes air inlet. I agree with the afore mentioned about the carbs. The crappy eth gas we are served now tends to draw moisture which can either cause rusting in the tank or carb bowls. Sounds as if there is foreign matter clogging the jets. Possibly clogging floats too.

Hi Grouch

I had problems with the bike being hard to start and taking for ever to warm up and needing the choke on all the time.

It was the battery being almost flat and clearly as the bike ran it was charging the battery and then seemed ok. A good charge sorted it out.

Try it, it might be the problem as batteries are taking a bashing at this time of the year

Cheers

Dave

Fuel nowadays is absolute pants, stripped carbs lately , ther was a tide mark in float bowls, [ diagonal = side stand.] tried rubbing it to see what it was,= like glue :shrug: . choke wells were clogged ,, [ explanes poor starting last year.] put them back on bike .fired up , ran great on idle, reved it up , wouldn"d close down again, [ redline] , checked cables , throttle housing, lubed rerouted, fired it up ,still throttle sticking, :icon_sad:

So unscrewd tops took out slides , the needles were sticky as hell, so got Ultrasonic tank for this weekend, and this bike was used a lot last year , and doesn"t have a tank liner,[ to dissolve]

Were in for a rough time when ethinol is increased,,, :eusa_snooty:

Fuel nowadays is absolute pants, stripped carbs lately , ther was a tide mark in float bowls, [ diagonal = side stand.] tried rubbing it to see what it was,= like glue :shrug: . choke wells were clogged ,, [ explanes poor starting last year.] put them back on bike .fired up , ran great on idle, reved it up , wouldn"d close down again, [ redline] , checked cables , throttle housing, lubed rerouted, fired it up ,still throttle sticking, :icon_sad:

So unscrewd tops took out slides , the needles were sticky as hell, so got Ultrasonic tank for this weekend, and this bike was used a lot last year , and doesn"t have a tank liner,[ to dissolve]

Were in for a rough time when ethinol is increased,,, :eusa_snooty:

Doesent stop there john. Apparently the fuel hose and tap also fall victim as do the floats and o rings. Same with the fine nylon filter mesh too.

Cars are not safe either. Your talking 2008 on before you are certain things like fuel pumps and injectors are safe.

I think there is still less to go wrong on the old stuff.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online