Do you use your steering lock?

clarke
This post is 4366 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well my mate's garage got broke into the b@st@rds jimmied his ignition, cut his electrics, and scratched his petrol tank before they realised he had a disk lock on the bike (then tried to break into his house for the keys).

Anywho, swinton send BLD to collect the bike, then 'loose' the bike then find it then loose it then a man from Axa calls my mate and says 'I've just been to see your bike and your steering lock wasn't on, so we won't pay out'

My mate replies a) the disc lock that was on stopped the bike being nicked, b, you keep loosing my bike and c) we took the steering lock off for BLD to collect it and put it in their van.

'oh!' says the man, 'I see I'm barking up the wrong tree' and authorised payout/repairs.

Now whilst I always use the steering lock when I'm out and about I never used to use it in the garage as I had my locks/ground anchor etc on them, but have started to use them now. If you don't already you may want to start too...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Steering lock is something i never use anywhere,,,, dam things just dont work too smooth.

Mabey i should start using it though !

i use mine everywhere i go, its easy to use and takes a couple of seconds to apply and is likely to deter any would be thieves for a few moments

Yeah I always use mine, out and about and at home in the garage, with the disk lock, large chain & lock, ground anchor, alarm/immobiliser.

Yer me too, i always use it even when i go to pay for my petrol lol.

Yer me too, i always use it even when i go to pay for my petrol lol.

+1 !!

+1 !!

I generally go to a garage with 'grab and go' pumps but if I have to go inside to pay the steering lock is always on.

I always put it on when I leave it in my garage too - it makes the bike a bit narrower as I use a block under the frame to keep it upright.

The only time i never put my steering lock on i filled out at a petrol station and went in to pay, as i looked up to double check my pump number as i got the usual brain fart moment where i forgot it, some twat in a BMW was pushing my bike away from the pumps!!!! so out i ran to correct the prick and his excuse was that he was in a rush and needed petrol ASAP and i was in the way?? Um so whats wrong with the pump on the other side thats been free since i got there? o yer he didnt want to pull the pump over his car as he'd just come out the car wash..................in a rush my arse!

So yer steering lock is always on (but not when riding..........thats just stupid lol)

Don't know what it is with BMW's but all the ones around here appear to be faulty as none of them have working indicators...

Problem with riding with your steering lock on is that you don't get very far before your back where you started.

Don't know what it is with BMW's but all the ones around here appear to be faulty as none of them have working indicators...

and its for those people i offer a free "wingmirror removal service" as a lot of the time they are seen as surplus to requirements

transit van wingmirrors tend to be harder to remove, and have an overwhelming ability to disorientate you if you happen to headbutt one whilst filtering

ah, theirs a knack for the removel of van mirrors foamy.

you need to hit them from the underside with the palm of your hand ,in an upwardy direction,

dont try to grip it, just let it smash into the side window ,or preferably shoot across the front of the windscreen for maximum effect.

Gears + Steering lock means i'm chav proof.

not always, some of them have started to make the jump to civilisation, and after "avin a go on my m8s motercross bike" they appear to be gaining confidence with regards to gearboxes

Problem with riding with your steering lock on is that you don't get very far before your back where you started.

We have non licenced asians here in new zealand. They drive Mercs. Apparently Mercs have big bumpers, so indicators aren't required.

Yep also use it all the time.. it also stops sneaky scooter riders trying to move the bike when parked in motorcycle bays in London so they can squeeze in!

(would post a picture of one but not yet figured out how to do that just yet!).

Yep also use it all the time.. it also stops sneaky scooter riders trying to move the bike when parked in motorcycle bays in London so they can squeeze in!

(would post a picture of one but not yet figured out how to do that just yet!).

you just take a photo? :eusa_think:

• 5 weeks later...

Mine is dodgy, it works but when it is in effect I am unable to remove the key from the ignition. I would like to use it though, every little helps. I don't want to try and force the key out in case it snaps or something.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online