Hey mister, can I stay please?

Leatherat
This post is 4675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For the first time in a long time, I am no longer a Yamaha owner :(

I've just sold my beloved XVS650 Classic to a very nice chap who seems to adore it, so it's off to a good home.

I have bought another bike, it's just not a Yamaha.......It's a HARLEY DAVIDSON Baby! :DB):DB):DB)

Whadya reckon to this.......

mynewharley-1.jpg

mynewharley4.jpg

mynewharley5.jpg

mynewharley8.jpg

mynewharley7.jpg

HARLEY F$%KIN' DAVIDSON BABY!!!!!!

So I guess the question is.......as a non Yamaha owner, am I still welcome in the Yamaha owners club? :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That is a nice looking sporty! gotta ask tho....is it the whole hog? (1200?) or the baby of the range? step dad has just finished restoring his 1988 883 sporty with the early Evo motor in it (which i will inherit when that time comes)

Just noticed.....are you missing the battery cover!?? lol

Get a single seat for the bugger soon, it helps complement the lines of the bike.

Congrats on the new purchase tho! well done.

I'm sure you'll be back with another Yam fairly soon.

your welcome to stay and keep us amused with your harley anecdotes and our piss taking :P

Thanks guys, I know they're not as great as the hype would have you beleive but I've been wanting one (Heritage Softail actually, but have you seen the prices!!!!) for ages and ages.

is it the whole hog? (1200?) or the baby of the range?

It started life as an 883, but it's been converted to 1200

Just noticed.....are you missing the battery cover!?? lol

Well, I did queery that, but the sales man said that this model came with just the metal strap, no cover?????

Hmmm, we'll see what can be done about that, but I can' push too hard, not with what I paid for it.

The paint is a really coarse Metalflake, and flips between the Green and Yellow that you can see in the pics. There is a chip out of it on the front mudgaurd, about the size of a pea but very visable, but I guess there's nothing can be done to touch it in.

It needs either some forward controls or Highway pegs really, and a pair of throw over saddle bags for my wet weather gear. It's being PDI'd at present and I hope to have it on the drive by Friday. Can't wait, as I have to use the car until then for work etc, which I'm not too happy about.

Harley Davidson - Excellent choice of bike. Lots of longevity in them.

In fact, 95% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 5% actually made it home without breaking down!! :lol:

Harley Davidson - Excellent choice of bike. Lots of longevity in them.

In fact, 95% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 5% actually made it home without breaking down!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let us know how she compare's to the yami, handling, comfort, etc. etc. Of course we all know that none of that really matters because of that sexy little badge on the side of the tank.

your more than welcome to stay :) , but please don't talk about your hardley bloody davidson.:lol: (just kiddin)

Let us know how she compare's to the yami, handling, comfort, etc. etc.

It's a completely different animal to be honest. Comfort wise, the XVS650 is miles ahead, the Harley has sharper handling than the laid back cruiser though, the bikes can't be compared really, both good but different.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder B)

What happened to the Vmax then?

I thought long and hard about the Vmax, it is quite simply an awesome machine, and fairly rare too, but only having a limited budget, it really came down to resale values. I could have taken my £4K and ploughed it into a Vmax, and in a year or two sold it for £2.5K, whereas HD prices are extremely stable and that sportster is never going to lose. Even after looking at the financial practicalities, alot came down to.........

Of course we all know that none of that really matters because of that sexy little badge on the side of the tank.

Sad but true..........Harley F*%king Davidson Baby!!!! B):D

Aye leather " its ok to have other makes, we all do . you"l miss the smoothnes of the yam, build quality too . you"l need ear plugs also :D

Am gonna do trans America some day,,, so will have to hire a HD. :unsure: ,,, .

My mate has a sportster 883

Best of luck with her B)

Pretty sure they came with a battery cover, my step dads 1988 883 has one (was chrome but now been powder coated black) should get one on flea bay if you wanna hide it.

And as for the comment on the comparisson with the XVS i do agree! harley's are totally different one major difference is that they have mud for brakes and the Yamaha's come with brakes standard :D

Im sure your be fine tho lol

Pretty sure they came with a battery cover, my step dads 1988 883 has one (was chrome but now been powder coated black) should get one on flea bay if you wanna hide it.

I think you're right, I've found one on Ebay for £30 in chrome.

And as for the comment on the comparisson with the XVS i do agree! harley's are totally different one major difference is that they have mud for brakes and the Yamaha's come with brakes standard :D

I found the complete opposite to be honest, the Harley has phenomenal brakes, Discs on both front and rear wheels that pull you up very rapidly, where as the XVS650 was at best vague and the rear was only really able to slow you down rather than bring you to a halt, more than a little pressure on the foot brake caused violent skidding and sphincter tightening.

The 1200 lump will pull your arms off in any gear, but is very vibration-ee. The bike turns into corners really quick, not sharp like a sports bike but not like a bomber turning as the Dragstar does, it also feels very short, and man alive, it's got a blokes clutch!

I think you're right, I've found one on Ebay for £30 in chrome.

I found the complete opposite to be honest, the Harley has phenomenal brakes, Discs on both front and rear wheels that pull you up very rapidly, where as the XVS650 was at best vague and the rear was only really able to slow you down rather than bring you to a halt, more than a little pressure on the foot brake caused violent skidding and sphincter tightening.

The 1200 lump will pull your arms off in any gear, but is very vibration-ee. The bike turns into corners really quick, not sharp like a sports bike but not like a bomber turning as the Dragstar does, it also feels very short, and man alive, it's got a blokes clutch!

Must be a new one that you bought then if it actually stops lol i took my step dads up the road and i had to plan a week in advance with the brakes. Dont get me wrong i would have a Harley tomorrow if i had the money! that new street bob is pure willy snot and dont get me going on the shovel head! i know i would spend more time fixing the dam thing but what a bike!

where as the XVS650 was at best vague and the rear was only really able to slow you down rather than bring you to a halt, more than a little pressure on the foot brake caused violent skidding and sphincter tightening.

Back brakes on bikes are for low speeds only. This is why, from CBT, they train you to use mostly front brake. If you're trying to stop with just the back at speeds above 10-15mph, then yes you will lock up. 75-80% front, all the way and I'd say this goes for most bikes.

Only exception is some emergencies.

I have a fairly firm reservoir and use sintered pads - I have almost pulled a stoppie on my 650 with this!!

The Drag has quite a steep rake, relatively. However, with a properly bled reservoir, it stops perfectly fine. That said, the 650 tips into corners far faster than the 125. Handling is vastly improved with correct tyre pressures (tyre manufacturer's pressures, not the ones in the manual).

If your not wanting to stop or stop suddenly then back brake is the best in the wet. Some dont agree with this but it is better. Lets ya know exactually what the bike is doing,,,then just release it if geting into boather,,,,,,,,,,where as if using front brake in the wet and ya have a miss-hap,,,,,,then ya get no chance and you will hit the ground.

B) B) B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online