How to choose my helmet??

Jams
This post is 4763 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps! Got a yamaha ybr 125. Had it for jsut over a week now and so far im loving riding! The day after i got it (this is my first bike) i went for a night ride on some country roads on my own. Yeah...didnt know how to go round this corner and went into the grass. Luckily the bike and myself was ok only cracked the front fairing slightly everything else was ok. Couldnt see shit all as the bulb keeps cutting out intermitently (i know this is off topic but any ideas why it is doing it)?

Anyways im rambling. My pals stepdad gave me an old rf 200 i think shoei helmet and its been in the wars so i urgently need a new hat! I live in brighton and need to know where the best place is to get one and what i should be looking for. My budget is from £150-£200 mark.

These are a list of a couple ive seen i like the look of...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360229270867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HJC-IS-16-Black-Type-O-Sizes-XS-S-M-L-XL-/250790366089?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item3a64454b89

Im a complete novis to all of the motorbiking world. I got some richa armoured jacket and trousers which are doing me just nicely! Just need the hat.

Any advice is appreciated :) Thanks!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi jams " the bulb or fitting ,musta took a rattle in your off, it will be a loose connection if its working at all , get somebody competent to check it out, , close shave eh, learning curve , take it easy at night,

animals are another danger at night, ;) Helmets " plenty of choise , as long as its comfy fit,,

Naa i didnt buy from a dealer, i bought private. Still got a good deal and it seems all good! I have read up and there have been a few people with the problem just gunna get a new bulb and change it and try and see if theres a loose connection as blackhat said.

Regards to the fender i will get it replaced but dont have the cash atm to do so :(. Need to spend it on helmet

Helmets.....

Some choose on price, some by brand, others by the latest paint job...... Lets get back to basics, the helmet is there to protect your noggin from harm when you hit the ground (so forget about the paint job as a criteria) secondary, it provides you with some practical facial protection (or not if you choose a piss pot), so consider the visor opperation, and availability of products such as Fog City/Pin Lock anti-mist protection. If you ride on hot days, also consider ventilation.

One thing strikes me as strange, in the CBT, the classroom sesion (the bit before you get on your bike) covers safety equipment. This is the time to ask about your Helmet, Gloves (as important as your lid) and other protective stuff. Have you done your CBT??

A helmet should be comfortable on your head, just because someone else says it's comfy, doesn't mean it is on yours. To get one correctly fitted, in the absence of any practical knowledge the best thing to do is go into a motorcycle/accessory shop and ask, they will have something for your budget. DO NOT buy the first lid that feels right, try others, in other shops, try different brands. Try the fastening - this can be a problem sometimes.

When you try it on, the assistant should check to see if it fits right, and if it comes off easily. When it's on, put a pair of gloves on and operate the visor, move your head around, looking over both of your shoulders to make sure you can look around you.

Someone will dissagre, but never buy a second hand lid. You don't know if it has ben dropped, how much it has been worn or the interal condition of the shock absorbing lining. Sweat from your head slowly destroys the inside of the lid over time.

Lids have a life span, generally, the more you pay the longer it lasts, but this isn't a fact just a loose rule. Having said this some people have lids for years and years - it only matters when your head hits the ground!

Don't be fooled into thinking the more you pay = better protection, a £500 lid may offer no more real protection than a £60 lid

The most important factor is that it must be comfortable on your head. I have a Shoei Multitech (flip front) that I paid £350 for and it's propper uncomfortable, I've worn it about 10 times. And yet I have the Shoei Hornet that fits like a glove !

Look at AGV helmets for that range. I like them. K4 or S4.

Fitting is key so try some on first to get the right size - this is very important!!!!!!!!

Never seen one with a miners lamp attached though ;)

Ive been looking loads and found loads that i like but i went to bikes of brighton the other day and they said that they wont let me try unless i buy? Is this for real or what as surely its the same as buying a pair of shoes if you try em to get the correct fit but dont want a pair then you dont HAVE to buy them?

Regards for WEMOTO i couldnt see helmets on there :S do you know if they do a good range as i will pop down?

Ive been looking loads and found loads that i like but i went to bikes of brighton the other day and they said that they wont let me try unless i buy? Is this for real or what as surely its the same as buying a pair of shoes if you try em to get the correct fit but dont want a pair then you dont HAVE to buy them?

Regards for WEMOTO i couldnt see helmets on there :S do you know if they do a good range as i will pop down?

wont let you try!you know to give them a miss next time you want anything,your so right about the comparison with shoes,the most important thing is fit one thing to remember it might feel tight at first but after a few weeks it will feel just right.

Precisely as Gas-Up says.

Personally, I like the Cabergs.

Good, cheap lids with a surprisingly high safety rating and lots of cool extra features.

But first and foremost, above everything else, it must fit properly.

.................. i went to bikes of brighton the other day and they said that they wont let me try unless i buy?.............................

This means that the first lid you try on, you would have to buy :huh:

Never go there again and tell everyone that will listen, what happened. Funny that their web site says how great they are. Linky.

I understand that all bike shops get wound up by people siting on bikes when the have no intention of buying and trying stuff on when they are just looking to see what size fits them before going online to order cheaper. (top tip there) but I try and balance my purchases from online and dealers. I brought some chain lube from my local Yami dealers today. Not the biggest sale but I want them to still be there when I need them.

An expensive bad fitting lid is dangerous.

click that link there are 2 helmets on the front page dunno if they have anymore

There is a menu on the left. They are advertising a few, including Shoei but would you spend £500 on a helmet you may not be able to try on if you have never owned a Shoei?

Good point DT, some purchases are best made at local dealers, can be a good source of advice too.

Helmets, I'm sure I recall being told that it needs to have a label (E Label)or something similar stitched into it somewhere to show it conforms to the european safety standard. Apparently, some cheap imported (ex EU) don't.

When you try it on (and dont but without trying) make sure that the helmet cant turn/slip about when fastened, and bear in mind it will get looser with wear.

Open faced helmets tend to be noisier with wind noise, but have better all around vision.

I'm not far from you Jams

I too went to bikes and it was the same then, its all to do with them spending time with you sizing you up and then the customer goes off and buys it online cheaper. So its a valid point.

I also tried Cissbury leathers just outside of Worthing and Alfs in Worthing both let me try on helmets no problem, but they didn't have the colour I was after.

I ended up at Helmet City just the other side of Crawley/M25 area,bit of a drive , but I tied it in with taking the children to the small zoo there. I tell you... bloody good service.

Highly recommended. Hundreds of helmets, all colours all sizes and all in stock.

Well worth the visit. I got a Shoei raid2 to match the colour of my 400/4.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I went down to WEMOTO and there were a couple there but none i really fancied. I think im gunna have a run up to that helmet city on the weekend! Sounds perfect for what i need... A HELMET! lol.

Will let you know how i get on :)

P.s My second week of riding and im loving it! (Haven't ridden in proper rain yet but living in england i wont have to wait long lol)

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I went down to WEMOTO and there were a couple there but none i really fancied. I think im gunna have a run up to that helmet city on the weekend! Sounds perfect for what i need... A HELMET! lol.

Will let you know how i get on :)

P.s My second week of riding and im loving it! (Haven't ridden in proper rain yet but living in england i wont have to wait long lol)

Is ya ridin round with na lid r wat ?

Ghostbikes also good for the lids, seem cheep to !

So your saying Bikesofbrightonltd.com, 30 Preston rd,Brighton - 01273 607 635 wouldn't let you try their helmets for fit :o

lets see google search remedy that

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online