Engine paint , Black,

blackhat250
This post is 4671 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Aye all " i"v been busy, got my dt125, ready for restore / convert, to DT175. PIcs of transformation will appear , Am wondering" what engine paint, [ black ] for barrel. & head, V.H.T. I kno " but want that satin

factory finnish,

Also Have split the old H2 [ 3rd gear was jumping] replaced with new gear. remade by Ellis Moore Perfomance Engineering , Manchester.,, ;) so rebuilding that tommorrow,

Heres the gears,

DT175Gears015.jpg

And Dt 175 parts

DT175Gears016.jpg

DT175Gears017.jpg

And one for Cynic , :D

DT175Gears018.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

John I use PJ1 satin engine paint on cases and I think it's good for the barrel and head head too. Also plast-kote BBQ paint is also good for the barrel and head

Sounds good auld een " i have used PJ1 matt black , on exhaust, nice finnish.... will listen to all suggestions ,,, ;) The 125 is no more :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Dt175 resto is moving along now, Repoked & new rims fitted :) [ by mysell] all front end paintwork done , did them mysell too. tanks at professional tho . Wiring loom is a bitza, think I"l get one from Uniparts.,

DT175restoration013.jpg

The rims are Union Cycle, got them from Vintage 001. [ Thialand] . drewps advised on them , Was a bit nervy, [ 20 negative feedbacks in 6 months] . but all is good. stainless spokes,

Aye paul the DTlooked good on the surface, but wen stipped , theres been a lot of bodges,

Yeh big Al. will be running for May i hope , bring it to Squires B) .

The rims are Union Cycle, got them from Vintage 001. [ Thialand] . drewps advised on them , Was a bit nervy, [ 20 negative feedbacks in 6 months] . but all is good. stainless spokes,

Aye paul the DTlooked good on the surface, but wen stipped , theres been a lot of bodges,

Yeh big Al. will be running for May i hope , bring it to Squires B) .

glad it worked out for you with the rims mate!

some peeps on ebay need a reality check,, before they start knocking sellers.

I've had a few "idiots" contact me when selling the car.

that rebuild is looking good, PJ1 satin looks great, but if you use another brand, it tends to look greyer.

don't forget to heat the paint to bond it to the metal!

• 4 months later...

Well the DT175 is taking shape " just to finish the wiring [ new loom] & new tyres on new rims & spokes , hopfully for squires, B)

P1000026.jpg

Well the DT175 is taking shape " just to finish the wiring [ new loom] & new tyres on new rims & spokes , hopfully for squires, B)

P1000026.jpg

Yep John,,,,,,,she is mooving along nicely,,,,,,,looking good B)

Aye, tis a cracking job ya done there Blackie.BTW how easy/hard was it to respoke your wheel? balancing etc?

Yep John,,,,,,,she is mooving along nicely,,,,,,,looking good B)

That's looking like a cracking bike John. My 175 is in a slight state of disrepair now, as i'm going to rewire it along with doing all the other "little" jobs! How have you mounted the number plate bracket? on that funny little plinth thing or is it a different mounting?

Chris.

P1000026.jpg

wow this is looking awesome

cant help but keep scrolling back up to look at it :)

nice work

Dave.

Nah the tidlers for keeping the crud off the widowmaker in the background.

Aye, tis a cracking job ya done there Blackie.BTW how easy/hard was it to respoke your wheel? balancing etc?

That is something I would be interested to know as well. No so much the balancing as the tyre fitter can do that. Just the lacing. I did read an artice in CMM a while ago and understand the theory however............

Fantastic looking bike Blackhat.

That is something I would be interested to know as well. No so much the balancing as the tyre fitter can do that. Just the lacing. I did read an artice in CMM a while ago and understand the theory however............

nooo, I mean balancing, as in the wheel running true, my mate used to do it professionally back up in Derby, and he had what can be best described as a 'spinning wheel' to respoke his wheels.

Sorry for late reply, " been outside all night, :rolleyes:

The front wheel was easy to spoke, thers a pattern , cant realy go wrong, inside spokes are 90 degree bend, outside 70. To true set a jig up ,[ Made of wood ] with spindle and a pointer, tighten & slacken to pull it into shape, , take your time [ couple of nights] or you"l sicken of it, The rear is a diffrent kettle of fish , offset must be measured on old rim ,before dismantle. short & long spokes [ obviously] short to the offset side, i did struggle with this , dry.gif So took it round to a mates, hes a pro at wheels , 1 hr & he was finished,:rolleyes: ,

Chrisp" the number plate bracket [ same as fs1e] has to be fitted to angle gusset, before mounted to fender, [ its a pig to plum ] 4 bolts to gusset & 4 chrome bolts to fender,

Engine barrel is on standard bore :) [ redrose] with N.O.S. cylnder head, [ twin plug] i have a spark, but ignition swich is wrong 1, thers a few models - 4 wire --9 wire,

Need tyres, and my cousin is a bike electrician, so gonna get him up to finish wiring,

Sorry for late reply, " been outside all night, :rolleyes:

The front wheel was easy to spoke, thers a pattern , cant realy go wrong, inside spokes are 90 degree bend, outside 70. To true set a jig up ,[ Made of wood ] with spindle and a pointer, tighten & slacken to pull it into shape, , take your time [ couple of nights] or you"l sicken of it, The rear is a diffrent kettle of fish , offset must be measured on old rim ,before dismantle. short & long spokes [ obviously] short to the offset side, i did struggle with this ,

Some time in the not too distant future I need to respoke a rear `18" rim to a front hub from a 21" 36 spokes on both so I can Supermoto mine, may just have a crack at doing it myself :blink: need a front hub first mind

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online