Back to bikes

This post is 2545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. Not ridden a bike for over 35 years and decided to go back. Very annoyed to find out I couldn't ride anything above 125. Back in the day a provisional licence would cover up to a 250, my last bike, which was a Yamaha XS 250 twin. However having completed the essential basic training without making a fool of myself I'm now on the road with a Dragstar XVS 125. An odd choice perhaps but a bloke of my age looks a little odd on a street racer type and to be honest, I love the cruiser styling, and of course it looks like a 650 even close up.

Sadly the bike is partially dissembled as the MOT ran out and I needed new fork seals and got a little carried away. One of my problems was occasional lack of power and needing the choke to start. I discovered the rubber carb manifold was cracked. I followed the forum and found another who had a similar problem. I managed to get round this using a new rubber self bonding tape, wrapping it tightly around. Whilst bu**ering about I though it would be a good idea to clean the carburetor only to find all the screws had other ideas and remained steadfastly movable. Next I was to discover that these were JIS and not Philips as they would first appear. I'm sat here at home waiting for time to pass and the new screwdrivers to be delivered tomorrow.

In my youth I used to strip down my second bike, a Yamaha DT 175 with ease but today I find I lack confidence but I'm not letting that stop me. I hope (know) I shall find this forum helpful and perhaps I can contribute in some small way.  

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI James, welcome back to the wonderful world of biking, you do know your never going to have clean fingernails again don't you? :lol: Any questions feel free to chuck them out there a wealth of knowledge on here and some fun to.

• Like 1

Hi jim,  your from the same erra as me,,   i had a Dt175 also,,,:welcome:

Hi James and welcome to the forum. I remember the days when a learner could ride up to a 250cc. But I do remember, and correct me if I am wrong, but if you had a sidecar fitted you could ride up to 350cc?

I'm talking about around early sixties.

Hi James welcome to YOC. my first bike was a xs250 and loved it but you would probably find there are still some 125s out there that are quicker, not that is what you want, I can see that by your choice, bet its a great feeling to be back on two wheels again after so long but you never forget its just like riding a bike! :P

:welcome: expect this sort of hassle with 125's as they tend to be neglected. mind you I've seen some bodges on my bikes

2 hours ago, mike1949 said:

Hi James and welcome to the forum. I remember the days when a learner could ride up to a 250cc. But I do remember, and correct me if I am wrong, but if you had a sidecar fitted you could ride up to 350cc?

I'm talking about around early sixties.

Remember the things called sidewinders, pretty much a wheel on a frame that fitted to the bike with a pivot. Enough to get you round the law, thought it was more than 350 though and it was still happening up to the mid eighties.

I remember the sidewinders, the pivot meant you could lean the bike for cornering as though the sidewinder wasn't there.

IIRC if you had a chair fitted there were no limits / classed as a three wheeler, I used to drive my Dads three wheeler Morgan as it had no reverse gear so could be driven solo on a provisional licence.

There you go..! sidewinder2.jpg

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online