Winter layup - do's & don'ts

DutchFJ1200
This post is 2748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm sure its been discussed a million times on here but it looks like today's blast around West Kernow was my last for 2016.

Work is taking me further away from home and the boss has kindly given me a car on loan for the winter. Road tax is running out as well so may as well call it a day.

Tank full/Empty?

Battery on trickle charge ?

Others?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Drain the carbs, I just run the motor till its stops with the fuel pipe disconnected. I also clean & grease the chain and spray the forks with WD40.

• Like 1

Honestly?

For parking up from end of October to begining of March, (salt, shite weather). 

I put it in the garage on the padock stand and unless im doing any winter maintainance, um...

Thats it. :blush:

Yep as Cynic said what's to worry about, I do take the fuel our tho cos it's shite and makes the bike run funny next year for the first 50 miles or so.

I have the same routine as Tommy.

I'll give the bike a good clean, run the carbs dry and I'll connect the battery up to the charger. Never had an issue with fuel left in the tank

Hi

I don't bother with fuel draining I run the bikes up once a month, once the bike is clean and dry I do use a very low wattage greenhouse heating tube under my FJR dust cover,

for my DT I take the battery off and keep it warm so the cold cannot get at it,

• Like 1

cover is a good thing, battery tender and grease everything up. I used to have a little heater which I need to buy another one.

fill tank with fuel and empty carbs out. that's for the FZ and XS

The TDM will be used on fine winter days so I'm spraying that with GT and keep the chain oiled.

Just to mention. The starting and running bit works ok for the diesels.

Not so much for the strokers. Couple of slow cranks on the kicker if you must but their best left.

Running without riding will leave all sorts of oily hassle the next time you use it properly.