Yam air cooled 4 cylinder

Variomatic
This post is 2920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was wandering around my local bike mechanic/dealer and found something very unusual. A big old air cooled 4 cylinder, sort of thing you'd expect to see in a Z1000, but it had a King and Queen seat, and had a semi cruiser style and a big tear drop tank. Poor thing looked like it had been laying on it'#s side in a shed for decades. Didn't have any identificatgion on it apart from a Yamaha badge on the tank. Kinda as if someone had stuck a 4 cylinder air cooled motor into an xs650

Does anyone have a single clue what it could have been?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't know about the US Custom versions, but my 79 xs1100 didn't have a kickstart

2_zpsxpm8ain7.jpg

• Like 1

They used to race the XS1100.  same style as the Morwaki Kawasaki ,   , I liked the custom  look, like this Zed,

• Like 1

I wouldn't fancy racing on an xs11. Mine had rubber hinges in the frame, at least it felt like that. I like the Ltd range of Kwaks and the Z1000ltds occasionally come up on ebay. Wouldn't mind one

Yeah I enjoyed that as well, liked the 6 cylinder Honda, what a lump that was.

On 4/26/2016 at 7:09 PM, blackhat250 said:

They used to race the XS1100.  same style as the Morwaki Kawasaki ,   , I liked the custom  look, like this Zed,

25030_0_1_4_kz1000ltd_BobKohnSantaBarbar

Currently helping in a restoration of this exact bike, a 1980 Kawsaki KZ1000 LTD, didn't mention as this is a Yam forum. Thus far got it running, fixed the tank, electronics and clocks. Slowly working through. Believe it or not it still have the original tires from 1980 (The test ride after the first fire up was sketchy with those flat spots, bump bump bump bump), original chain and sprockets, brake pads, everything, only 8000 miles from brand new. I'm convinced these old lumps had better build quality than any modern bike, everything just works, plus with some mods you can get them up to 150hp believe it or not.

This is said KZ:
13078181_601292740023661_1324934946_o.jpg

I LOVE these old air cooled 4 cylinder, they sound mean and sound properly pissed off when you really get onto it.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2016 at 1:41 PM, jimmy said:

Don't know about the US Custom versions, but my 79 xs1100 didn't have a kickstart

2_zpsxpm8ain7.jpg

On 4/28/2016 at 8:54 PM, Variomatic said:

Currently helping in a restoration of this exact bike, a 1980 Kawsaki KZ1000 LTD, didn't mention as this is a Yam forum. Thus far got it running, fixed the tank, electronics and clocks. Slowly working through. Believe it or not it still have the original tires from 1980 (The test ride after the first fire up was sketchy with those flat spots, bump bump bump bump), original chain and sprockets, brake pads, everything, only 8000 miles from brand new. I'm convinced these old lumps had better build quality than any modern bike, everything just works, plus with some mods you can get them up to 150hp believe it or not.

This is said KZ:
13078181_601292740023661_1324934946_o.jpg

I LOVE these old air cooled 4 cylinder, they sound mean and sound properly pissed off when you really get onto it.

We are a broad church here Vario my son , and can respect all of Gods creations .

On 25 April 2016 at 11:23 PM, Variomatic said:

Ahh yeah that's what it was. Sorry for the vague description, you could hardly see it through the other bikes, it was half buried.

Sold in the US as either the XS1100 Special, or the XS1100 Maxim (there was also a de-chromed version called the Midnight Maxim).

My word, those Americans really loved naming cars and bikes (think they still do !).

• Like 1

When I started out on my little SR250SE special this was a model line in 400, 650 & 1000V variety if I recall correctly.

The top of the range 1000 could be had in the Midnight Special livery. I drooled over that bike but could not afford at the time.

Or I'm making all this up? - it was 30 years ago afterall :o

• Like 1

I was the same, my first road bike was an xs250 (long may it rot in hell) but along the road from me was an xs1100...That bike I wanted and finally owned one 7 yrs later. The big bike never once let me down, and I regretted selling.........In fact of all my bikes the only two bike I have regretted selling was my xs1100 and my xjr1200...all the others , I never gave them a second thought

Did you never have a 2B)stroke jimmy, ?  they were the vogue back then ,

I think that by the time the XS 250 was around, the 2 strokes were already on the wane, with the exception of the X7 and the 250 Elsie - the biggest selling 250 at the end of the 70's and early 80's will undoubtedly have been the Honda Superdream. There was also the GSX 250 and the Z 250 (Scorpion) - even sold in Kork Ballington replica colours.

From '77 to late '81 I rode my 2 stroke KH 250 and hated the 4 strokes - sounding like farts, but able to go much further on a tank of petrol.

10 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Did you never have a 2B)stroke jimmy, ?  they were the vogue back then ,

Unfortunately not mate. I missed the whole smoker experience. No regrets at the time, but reading all the posts on here I feel I missed something very significant. 

For about the first six months on the bike (April 81 - Sept 81) I was absolutely sh!t on a bike (no compulsory training then) and would fall off quite regularly, so I would have probably killed myself on a 250LC which was the 2smoke of choice then

• Like 2

Missed the 2 stroke thing????

Its still there, im in it, and if most people are honest about it. Even the modern generation of fuel injected, universal sports motorcycle riders will accept there is something about a sweet 2 stroke.

There is an almost primal element. They feel alive but at the same time just a little risky. Im not using learner stuff that is not in the same game.

Have a go on one. You'll see.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online