To Triumph or not?

Dom1878
This post is 3181 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having been looking around at Dragstars - 650 & 1100s - I've stumbled across a 2010 Triumph America which hasn't even been run in yet. Less than 500 on the clock.

In a part ex with my 125 the dealer will let me have it for less than £4000, am I stupid for not immediately biting his arm off?

I've ridden it and it is immaculate.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

seems like a good price Dom,i have heard the America don't handle all that well ,that said I fancy an 865 t100 myself.

If you like it and it suits you then BUY IT !!! Can you find a cheaper one would be my first thought, but if your happy with the trade in and the dealer offers a reasonable service then your all good. As for handling (above) it's all relative really, if it holds the road well and it's not used for racing or track days most bikes are fine. If you want to blast through corners with the footrests touching the ground then buy and R6 otherwise buy what you like. :D

• Like 1

My mate has the America and when he was away on ship (one of them there Navy boys) he loaned it to me for 3 months and i loved it, handled better than the draggy and had so much more poke. only down side was the ignition module, his went on a mad one and started firing on one cylinder which happened to me mid way round a round about (not fun)

If you do buy it over the draggy, a set of slash cut pipes are highly recommended, give her the roar of a pissed off grizzly :thumb:

• Like 1

Just saw this thought it might tip you over the edge https://youtu.be/pg4G4fDY7-4

All others I've seen are over 6 grand with 5 -10,000 miles on them.

The road holding is great, its a cruiser so not looking to get me knee out, more long distance trips with a lot of motorways. Handles better than the HD Sportster and VN900 I took out.

Basically a new bike but for 2 grand less than showroom price, guy in his early 60s bought it, did a few weekends and shows, did his back in then sold it to the dealer as he can't ride. It's right at the financial limit of what I can push whilst sorting a mortgage so the conversation has not gone down too great at home! :D

I know the Bonneville engine (same as on the America) is pretty bulletproof...........and the mileage keeps winking at me.............(holds head in hands)

Go for it. I was in a similar position years ago.

Spent the wedding deposit on a 1500 mile suzuki 600. I was not popular but got enough overtime to cover it.

36 12h shifts back to back. Nearly killed me lol. But i got the bike and kept the girl.

Edited by Cynic
  • Like 2

Your heroism is motivating! Wedding deposit......wow! :o

I wouldn't be able to even type this if I'd gone there, fair play. :)

• Like 1

As I have been saying for over 30 odd years 

35.jpg

• Like 1

Funny Jimmy - my mum bought me that exact same poster for my office.

• Like 1

Here's another for you Bipps.....Don't know if I can forward them on but I have a load of these on my laptop if interested

29.jpg

Edited by jimmy
  • Like 1

Having been looking around at Dragstars - 650 & 1100s - I've stumbled across a 2010 Triumph America which hasn't even been run in yet. Less than 500 on the clock.

In a part ex with my 125 the dealer will let me have it for less than £4000, am I stupid for not immediately biting his arm off?

I've ridden it and it is immaculate.

Sounds like you have fallen in love. Bite his arm off 

Here's another for you Bipps.....Don't know if I can forward them on but I have a load of these on my laptop if interested

29.jpg

They are great Jimmy - may have to purchase a few more for the office, great artwork.

I say do it. My dad has one and I think it handles really well. And that's coming from a Street Triple! But DEFINITELY get some slash cut pipes (the short ones) 

• Like 2

Well there's the kiss of death finnerz "DAD HAS ONE"  :biglaugha::lol:

• Like 2

Well the shop has just phoned to say there is a guy in there taking it out for a test at the moment so I may have to keep the xvs1100 in mind regardless.

No mate phone him back and ask why someone is on your bike, BUY IT NOW FFS!!!

• Like 1

Did you buy it ???? :shrug:

The guy decided to go ahead and take it.............

...................................but his credit application got turned down by Black Horse!!!

The only issue now is, the law has been laid! If I proceed, the lady may leave :o

The guy decided to go ahead and take it.............

...................................but his credit application got turned down by Black Horse!!!

The only issue now is, the law has been laid! If I proceed, the lady may leave :o

The girl or the bike - what's it to be. I think we should be told. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online