Airhead you lucky bugger..

Cynic
This post is 3204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well not just you Paul, but any folk live around you. Had to run from Trafford Park to Derby today and went cross country down the A6 then heading for Chesterfield.

Wow I have got to get up there and ride those roads, I think it whenever I run that neck of the woods in the truck but over the last 12mths they have been keeping us local with a lot more drops than distance so this was a treat for me. They thought it was a problem... (huh? great roads and scenery on a beautiful day).

Anyway I think im going to go up that way to squires, I keep saying I want to avoid the dual carriageway crap I spend all day on and this year its happening.

Run up the A6, then towards Glossop for a bit so I can use Woodhead Pass then on to Squires.

Andy, fancy an even bigger adventure/lost/explore than last year? No motorways.... The SR up for it?

Edited by Cynic
  • Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Definitely up for it. My dad used to live in Chesterfield.. came back via there last year as my Aunt died. Used to love driving a little further up to Castleton / Ladybower res etc and always fancied a ride around there. 

• Like 1

yeah good roads mate A6 from Derby / Matlock / Bakewell / Buxton / Chapel

Just did that route on the RE rally a couple of weeks ago :)

This is why the run to Matlock is such a draw for bikers

Edited by Airhead

I did the Shap  section of A6  last week,  brill road, we  may do it all the way down to Silverstone [ Moto GP] Aug 25th   , we start on the Old A74 ,  joins A6 near Lockerbie .. ,,,if you look at maps,  thers still a bit A6  NEAR London,

Aye the A6 still have names like London road.
went that way to pick up the paint from Derby, as you say its always a beautiful area.

I live not far from Trafford park just over the Ally O' (ship canal)

I always think those roads are what motorcycling is made for. Not scraping your knees at 1000mph. But beeing able to get out to places like that.

Andy. So long as its not coming down cats and dogs we can take all day. Have to think about fuel too. Need to refuel every 70 to 80 miles to be safe.

If the weather is good the top of woodhead pass is amazing. Although i have driven it in the winter and if the cloud/fog/mist clears its just as stunning.

• Like 1

If the weather is good and you're up for a leisurely ride then I can suggest some roads. Woodhead is nice, but it is full of speeding cars, show off bikers and slow caravans / lorries due to the climbs and bends. There are other roads which are quieter, allowing you to just focus on enjoying yourself. Just shout if you want some ideas closer to the time.

Cheers bip. Will take you up on that. Have to concentrate not to go into lorry mode when i navigate.

Hell may even do Ladybower res too. 

I can imagine! My dad is enjoying his retired life away from lorries - that guy takes the scenic route to everywhere now... Before that he was always thinking about major roads to get from A to B. Ladybower is a great place to stop for a photoshoot on a sunny day. On a weekday you can ride all the way past Upper Derwent Reservoir and Howden. It's a dead end road, but is pleasant and well worth it for the photos. I head there often in the car to walk the dog.

I've yet to actually try Woodhead - I pretty much stick to Snake Pass or the Chapel-en-le-Frith route [via Castleton for that epic downhill - does that route have a name?] if I'm heading out Sheff' way.

I just hate how long it takes to get out Manchester. Drewp - what's your preferred route for getting out?

I find it easier to just not go in..:D

Captf - that's called Winnats Pass. Great deal of history to that area of the Peak, really enjoy heading over there. Woodhead is an early morning / late ride to avoid traffic. It is a fun road - when no one is blocking you. Ultimately it's a cheap cut through for freight between East and West. Lorries driving up the M1 for somewhere like Manchester aren't going to carry on up to the M62 and back down. Dangerous in winter though - I've been caught numerous times up there in strong winds, fog, floods and black ice when on the bike. Because it's one of the few roads the Council try to keep open.

Aye the A6 still have names like London road.
went that way to pick up the paint from Derby, as you say its always a beautiful area.

I live not far from Trafford park just over the Ally O' (ship canal)

Blimey, that triggered a memory

The big ships sail up the ally ally oh, the alloy ally oh, the ally ally oh

WEe used to have to sing that at infant school nearly 60 years ago. Always wondered what the ally oh was

• Like 3

Blimey, that triggered a memory

The big ships sail up the ally ally oh, the alloy ally oh, the ally ally oh

WEe used to have to sing that at infant school nearly 60 years ago. Always wondered what the ally oh was

yeah I sang the song at infants too Ray, fancy that after all those years we now know what it was about :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I love local history and know quite a bit about the area of Eccles and surrounds.

26b84f8c68016b0ee8668258f0cbeb4c.jpg0df5f7a8cf3c4d6a94870d8c34c0691a.jpg4fdb869c7cfef16751c89c233a798240.jpg78d77a09f02d61499429aa9980d4833e.jpg32d1e68186c03e80638c12c55f82f017.jpg Haven't been there for several years. It'd be great if the weather holds out long enough for us to detour somewhere around here!

• Like 1

Spectacular Andre"  B),    We sung that Ally"o  song too, and are 300mls north of it ,,,,now  we know:rolleyes: 

Show us the ally"o drewps,,,

I never sing this song, but now, for sure I know :)) how I say in squire 2015 topic, peak district is a lot better idea for meeting. I start going past year after airhead post some nice pics from his area. well I don`t find those places but I found peak district and I really like it, I was here 7-8 times and I also visit the caves here. inside the town, (castleton) I find a nice.. I think is something like an inn, a place where we eat, an old man serving in an old house with some nice carousel model (google translate fault if not this is the corect name :)) )

• Like 3

26b84f8c68016b0ee8668258f0cbeb4c.jpg0df5f7a8cf3c4d6a94870d8c34c0691a.jpg4fdb869c7cfef16751c89c233a798240.jpg78d77a09f02d61499429aa9980d4833e.jpg32d1e68186c03e80638c12c55f82f017.jpg Haven't been there for several years. It'd be great if the weather holds out long enough for us to detour somewhere around here!

I think if we take our time so we dont damage us or the bikes. Neither are long distance bikes, but with good weather going along snake pass, past Ladybower and up over Saddleworth Moor should be doable.

• Like 1

I've yet to actually try Woodhead - I pretty much stick to Snake Pass or the Chapel-en-le-Frith route [via Castleton for that epic downhill - does that route have a name?] if I'm heading out Sheff' way.

I just hate how long it takes to get out Manchester. Drewp - what's your preferred route for getting out?

tend to either through straight through Manchester or hit the motorway for a short while.

cheshire is best, straight down the A57 over warburton bridge into cheshire and then you have Wales, Shropshire etc

Spectacular Andre"  B),    We sung that Ally"o  song too, and are 300mls north of it ,,,,now  we know:rolleyes: 

Show us the ally"o drewps,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_puqvNjqU#t=96

live not far from the swingbridge

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online