Chicken shed find

hubert1977
This post is 3188 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Came across this specimen in the middle of an old farm. Needless to say it was covered in chicken shit and other unmentionables...Front brake was seized solid which made dragging it out way more entertaining. I got it home and assessed the damage...

according to license plate it was registered in 1986. Tank and carb were full of varnish from decomposing gasoline. Side covers, silencer,  and tailight missing. Also the upper coolant elbow attaching to the head was nowhere to be found. The most damage is to coolant overflow/ oil tank.  The coolant side is shattered with a gaping hole in the front( visible in the picture) and the oil tank has several cracks which I'm currently attempting to seal with jb weld, but the coolant tank is beyond repair.  I may look into alternatives.  To my amazement after I cleaned out all the goop out of carb and tank the sumbitch fired up!. 

I have since bought the missing elbow and currently about to install new brake shoes, brake/clutch lever/ seat cover.  Finding parts for it seems more difficult since the bike was only sold in Canada and Europe and not in U.S. And a lot of parts suppliers run U.S. based model designations. 

Found a random used silencer and temporarily fitted it up so that neighbours don't hate me. 

Not visible in the picture above is the headlight housing with a wouldn't you know it working headlight.

more pics to follow

Yes drewpy it was free, since it did not come with paperwork I may be able to register it as off highway vehicle for trail riding and such. I have no aspirations to make it streetable. All broken turn signals are removed, and I have tailight on order since it's required along with headlamp. 

Question: can this bike be run with no battery? It starts and headlight works but I thought that it's bad for coil or regulator.

I know I will need a power source for tailight but was thinking of sneaking some led's into it and power it independently.

i may have to resort to diy as far as side covers- I have had no luck finding these parts.

you'll need AC bulbs as LED 's only work in DC mode.

just saw a film about Tesla, very interesting

• Like 1

Regulator will die with no battery and your headlight voltages will be all over the place.

Engine will run fine.

• Like 1

What Type is it ?  DT?XT? how many CC?  

Its a Dt125 lc. Replacement for the Dt125/175 aircooled bikes and in essence not a great deal different. Mostly cosmetic.

qcAw4HA.jpg

As it stands today- I replaced brakes, installed new clutch and brake levers, painted exhaust and swingarm, installed battery.

Still waiting for my seat cover and petcock to show up. still need to figure out something for side covers, and a more permanent exhaust.(I actually cut down an old bicycle handlebar :).  Both Tires are original and rear is badly cracked due to it being from 1982.

esjrIyK.jpg

I managed to ride around the neigbourhood few times and there is a persistent bog down/ lack of power at about 1/4-1/2 throttle-from what I read it is likely due to jet needle-i have moved the e clip from second position to 5th spot( needle moves up), but the condition persists. It does seem to get better with choke on which leads me to believe that bike was/is running lean.... some input would be appreciated. Once the throttle rolls past the dead spot she pulls really strong.IIY5QL8.jpg

the oil injection tank looks like crap from the picture but im experimenting with JB Weld to seal the cracks in it. Coolant tank is beyond saving so I resorted to a small plactic bottle strapped to frame behind kickstart.

Wow, taking about bringing one back from the dead.  Well done.

Couple of parts on the bay right now :

Side cover RHS : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DT125LC-DT125-LC-DT-125-RIGHT-SIDE-PANEL-FAIRING-COVER-34X-21721-00-/221785465264?hash=item33a371a1b0

Oil injection tank : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-dt-125-lc-Oil-Tank-Dt125-Two-Stroke-Tank-/191598463287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9c288937

Coolant expansion bottle : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamha-dt125-coolant-expansion-bottle-/400966298879?hash=item5d5b742cff

You may be on a budget but since you come this far you might as well go all the way.

• Like 1

Thanks Dutch!

I had a look at the ebay listings-The oil tank would fit perfectly!, however seller will not ship to Canada:(

Its kinda ironic as Im waiting for seat cover to get shipped from Portugal.

Crank seals will be next on my list, along with a set of tires. removing rear axle was difficult to say the least as I dont think it has ever been off-nothing a bit of emery cloth and bit of grease wont fix.

I removed turn signals because I do not anticipate needing them in the woods. Still trying to get temp gauge and dash lights to work-so far only neutral light comes on -only when headlamp is on low beam-I think it may be a bad ground somewhere.

Who is this that keeps putting jpegs on that won't open?

• 2 weeks later...

7W7dmVP.jpg

Well-I took her out to gravel pits today. 

PhM1hbz.jpg

Ran like a champ!

ig166Rl.jpg

I extended the exhaust pipe to move muffler further back, and got really "creative" on the exhaust shield :)

Anyone guess what I made it out of?????

The neutral switch is broken within the thread surface-will have to drill it out eventually and The Temp gauge does not work at all. 

Since ignition lock was missing I made a quick and dirty toggle switch on side of headlamp for now.

I also created a very agricultural looking side cover on rhs to contain battery and oil tank.

All in all she is coming together-Cannot wait for tires to get in and try real trails.

Edited by hubert1977
wrong link

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online