Old fart

vayduh
This post is 3532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

new to bikes. been over 20 years since i was even on a push bike!

Did CBT a few days ago.

Always wanted to get a bike but it never seemed to be the appropriate point in time.

Jumped in today and bought a YBR along with a rushed visit to the local motorcycle shop for safety equipment.

I've been a mixture of a Bull in a china shop and a wee boy in a sweetie shop the last few days. Looked at everything from CBR through Varadero, CG and everything in between; settled on YBR as a good machine to build up some much needed experience.

I guess my ultimate aspirations are the Honda CB 250 or the Yamaha XS 250 - but all in good time.

I have loads of questions - I'll try and start slowly.

Bought "Motorcycle Roadcraft" so that is my reading material for the next little while.

Had a minor moments today at a junction as a car pulled out - does anyone even notice bikes on roads? Maybe I'll try the Lady Godiva in a helmet approach - bet I'd get noticed then; and probably arrested into the bargain!

Anyway - Hello.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome:

Unfortunately you could be stark naked and turning somersaults on your bike and you'd still get some arse in a car saying sorry mate I didn't see you. You have to think for them because they don't.

Congrats on passing the CBT and enjoy it, it only gets better.

:wavey: welcome aboard!

Welcome

I move about a bit in the lane when I see cars at a junction, small bit of weaving can make you more noticeable but not always.

Have fun and be safe

Hi and welcome to the YOC :wavey: don't worry about car drivers cos they don't worry about you, your best bet is to think they are going to hit you and avoid putting yourself in a position to be hit, it's not their fault really I mean how often have you heard anyone say "look out for motorcyclists"? Other than the odd sign or 2 your on your own and to be honest your quicker smaller and much better at getting out of the way than they are, so don't sweat it just be friendly and if someone does pull out in front of you or cut's you up don't get angry just move on. :jossun:

Hi and welcome vayduh? or even Old Fart.

"Had a minor moments today at a junction as a car pulled out - does anyone even notice bikes on roads? Maybe I'll try the Lady Godiva in a helmet approach - bet I'd get noticed then; and probably arrested into the bargain!"

does anyone even notice bikes on roads? Basically, No.

You have got to notice every vehicle on the road.

Being a biker makes you more vigilant on the road and as to what's going on around you, believe it or not you tend to be more aware of cars coming out of side roads/junctions because you don't know if they see you or not, I always presume they don't.

greeting from another old far, just presume that car drivers don't see you and always expect the unexpected. stay safe and enjoy.

• Who's Online (See full list)