Oil leak help, advice needed

Westlake1984
This post is 3592 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 2014 , yamaha xj6f. It's done 1500 miles. I've had it from new and haven't dropped it. I've noticed that sometimes it seems to have a slight oil leak. It's not all the time. I can't see any residue any where. The position of the oil on the floor would suggest that it is coming from the fuel overflow pipes. I can never see it leaking and it's there when I return to the bike. Any ideas of why oil would be leaking from there? Has anyone else had similar problems?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi " it will be under warranty . take it back , sounds like the oil level is too high, not a big problem,,

More likely coming from the air filter drain.

Still worth a vist to the stealer if there any good they should check for you.

As above take it back, but just one thing is it actually oil? Stick your finger in it and see if it might be petrol that way at least you know what fluid is falling out of it. Not sure if your bike is injection or a carb model but if it's a carb then you might have a sticky float which is allowing a dribble of fuel out when it's standing. :jossun:

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken it back. It was leaking both fuel and a bit of oil. They can't find any leaks and said it's pretty normal for bikes, especially in this heat. The pressure builds up and has has to go somewhere. I've never heard of this before

I had a bike like that but it was an auld Triumph and they were designed to leak oil :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle: . But none of my modern (Brit or Jap) bikes leaked in the hot weather. I agree its a fob off

well ! MY RD leaks oil in the hot weather,, :eusa_think: and when it's raining .

:eusa_think: it leaks oil in the cold too.. :eusa_shifty: i best have a look at it :shakeno:

Complete and utter bollocks.

That cleared it up. Its not hot here is it. What about bikes in Greece or Spain. 40+ deg c.

Thats hot.

Get it in writing that way if it gets worse then your covered under warenty that it been a on going problem from day 1 and you have not neglected to have it repaired. Steelers tend to do more to resolve issues when people start asking for things in writing that are BS. Photo copy and send to Yamaha UK with a letter.

When I worked for VW years ago we had a TDI that was back ever 3 months for about 2 years after every possible thing was changed that could possibly be changed, they approved a new eng and problem solved.

That said check the oil level and adjust it so it's not over full as it most likely is,you can suck out some from the filler hole with a hose.And pop the gas cap open when you stop see if it stops the fuel dripping.

NO he shouldn't but if the dealer is just givin him the shove off ,might as well see if he can figuer it out, then go back and tell em what a bunch of________ they are. If opening the gas cap solves it then he needs a new cap simple enough to do,yes a PITA but why not try?

When I had to take my bike in for the maditory 1st 500.00 oil change they put the wrong filter on.That was a battel I won,drycleaning bills complete refund, 10k extended warenty,voucher for a free service ( that I threw in the garbage wouldn't let anyone there work on my bike) and after a few more complaints to suzui CA they lost thier dealership.