which bike trousers

meatloaf
This post is 3801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Back in the day most of us only wore jeans when riding but now there is a huge range of trousers to chose from.I haven't got a huge budget as I've just spent a lot on my xvs1300 but after taking her for a spin yesterday I realise that I'm far too old to ride in the cold without something to help keep me warm. Any tips on choosing a budget pair of trousers would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

RST aren't too bad price wise, I've got a pair and they're pretty good, removable liners for when it's a bit warmer.

Just make sure the legs are long enough, nothing worse than drafty ankles haha

Wait for Lidl to start selling there ski stuff, their ski trousers are brilliant (just not that great in heavy rain) If not check out Amazon they normally have a good selection of decent trousers and you can read up on the customer reviews etc

4 basic types:

1) anything not bike specific. This includes jeans, skiwear, ppe type stuff and mankinis. To be avoided as they don't offer any abrasive protection. The only exception is waterproof over trousers providing you wear proper biking trousers underneath.

2) leather - with or without tassels. Traditional and can be good. Watch out for buffalo, and other animal skins which are not cow hide. Also look for the thickness of the leather, knee/hip protection and stitching as the quality of these varies tremendously. Not waterproof, cold, and can be quite gay (some people might say). Good quality with knee and hips inserts are probably the best protection you can get. Horrible to put on wet or on a hot day when your legs are sweaty.

3) textile including goretex and cordura. Mainly waterproof, for a while anyway but will end up leaking around the crutch at some point. High end gives good protection and normally a zip in liner for cold days. More give than leather and most have the ability to incorporate knee and hip pads.

4 Kevlar jeans. Again, quality counts. Varying degrees of quality coverage of the actual Kevlar. Not waterproof but better if you are walking or not riding for all of the day. Not as many funny looks from non bikers, especially compared to wearing too tight leather tassel trousers or an all in one power ranger come leather onesie race suit.

Personally cordura for most of the time and Kevlar jeans for camping or summer day riding. Hood for jeans and RST for cordura would be a good start for me. Always with body armour inserts.

Lots of very cheap Asian stuff about which is dubious quality. It doesn't matter how thick the item is if it isn't properly stitched with the correct thread. It will just come apart at the seams.

Draggin' jeans are good too, supposedly the only kevlar jean to achieve the same CE rating as leather.

I bought a pair of leather jeans off eBay for £30. A bit tight if having to wear my Elvis onesie underneath..... Fashion wise - what DT says - though I bought them to protect my skin, not to frequent the Blue Oyster bar! Wore them to squires in a downpour and didnt leak - used Kiwi boot polish which kept 5 hours of wetness out! Very hot and sweaty in the summer and SWMBO hates them!

• Like 1

....... I bought them to protect my skin, not to frequent the Blue Oyster bar! ......

You need to watch to the end to see Andrew really won the rosette for at Squires. He could be the one in the blue T shirt!

• Like 1

Blimey Andrew, I didn't know you was like that, as in frequenting that sort of establishment.

.... I didn't know you was like that, as in frequenting that sort of establishment.

Looks like Pompy on a Friday night, eh Mike :icon_wink:

Looks like Pompy on a Friday night, eh Mike :icon_wink:

Correct Mr N, or even more likely Union Street in Plymouth.

• Like 1

:babyha: ....Fk it" am wearin jeans next year,,, :eusa_whistle: .. what is it wi the caps " ? like YMCA. :hah: Check guys in pub ,[ white caps]

• Like 2

I've never seen so many sidecars. Great film, thanks for that.

Wait for Lidl to start selling there ski stuff, their ski trousers are brilliant (just not that great in heavy rain) If not check out Amazon they normally have a good selection of decent trousers and you can read up on the customer reviews etc

Lidl have some in now

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online