upgrade?

looney tunes
This post is 3885 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

not posted for a while due to work, family and other excuses, love my XVS 650 but it just doesn't give me that ummph im after, so have been looking around at other XVS's and like the look of the 1100 & the 1300, does any one have one? can you give me a few pointers of what to look out for if different to the XVS?

many thanks Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

IMO the 1100 was a waste of time. Bigger engine, but a lot of weight with it.
For the 20 extra HP, you get almost 100kg, IIRC. Ridden well, the 650 can still keep up.

It has most of the same design flaws as the 650, plus the starter clutch is prone to failure and unless you get a relocation kit, you have to remove the pipes every time you change the oil filter.

I'd advise getting the new 950, or if you want real kick go for the 1300/1900.
Have a couple test rides, of course, though. See what you think.

I never ride a 1900 or 1300 but, if you want a bike to use in both city and outside, I can say 950 is your right choise. 278 kg vs 305 the 1300 and 345 the 1900. I like the look of 1300 but I dislike the 1900. I have just 65 kg and 1300 and 1900 can be a problem for me at low speed. one thing is sure, at my weight, I really don`t need more power than 54 hp. the 1300 have 70 and the roadstar have 90 hp.

clarkegray had both 950 and 1300 and he can tell you about both those bikes. don`t know anyone who have both 1300 and roadstar.

345KG bike? Jesus fuck!

Yeah thats a monster, Lallasro"s XVS950 is a beautifull bike , and looks comfy,,, :jossun:

Yeah thats a monster, Lallasro"s XVS950 is a beautifull bike , and looks comfy,,, :jossun:

can't believe how heavy it was though.

lol drewpy, my bike have now something like 295-300 kg full loaded, standard is 280. maybe is heavy but still easy to control, the balance is better than on my old AJS regal Raptor (170 kg). I have problems when I make U-turns because sometime the road is not enough for me(lol) and the bike is long, 2,45 m.

@2 wheels yeah, the rocket 3 is the king I think :)) but 370 kg , 2300 cc and the seat is not so low. I guess is not so good in the city :)

@ blackhat250, it is really comfy, 1000 miles in 2 days in scotland and the only problem was with right hand because of the throtle... and will be more comfy because in 1 week I will have the lowering kit :D

Lowering kit?

On a Cruiser??!!

Just how short *are* you, dude??

Lowering kit?

On a Cruiser??!!

Just how short *are* you, dude??

in my case, is not about how short is my legs, I have f long legs... :)) just about modifing the ride position and improving the look of the bike.

in my case, is not about how short is my legs, I have f long legs... :)) just about modifing the ride position and improving the look of the bike.

Out of interest, how much will that lower your bike by?

Great meeting you at the weekend by the way!

Went to have a look at the 1300, won't be getting that one, ignition barrel missing just wires taped together, seats ripped, tank dented and engine was covered in oil and knocked. Apparently the photo he used to advertise it was the original one from when he bought it 4 years ago :(

I order a lowering kit with 3 positions. lower position is 5,8 cm. (2,1/4"), also have a 1,5" and standard position.

wow Lall the ground clearance on your bike is already minimal to say the least you'll be ploughing up tarmac with it any lower :hah::eusa_think:

Keep looking you'll find a good one. I went to see 4 bikes before I got my wee 125.
Some were in a right mess and like that one the pics were old or shot to hide all the buggered bits.
Ended up finding mine in a barn with horses & covered in straw!

• Like 1

Having had both 1300 & 950 I'd say the 950 is easier to ride/handle but the 1300s power and comfort is much better.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online