new members asking questions without an introduction

Tommy xs
This post is 3989 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I get pissed off In fact sometime's its Quite funny and often it's an honest mistake, I know when I first joined YOC my intro wasn't great. I found the (start a new topic button)

but thought starting a new topic isn't saying hello. I think its quite confusing when your new, if there was a

button that said (say hello here) it would be much simpler and we wouldn't see nearly so many questions in the new members area. I realize its the same layout for each forum and maybe can't change button title

on just one forum but maybe a heading above the button would help. anyone else got any idea's how to make it clearer to new members as know i'm guilty of being sarcastic to new members who may have made an honest mistake

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do you not think it is a perfect character test right there.

Some do it right. Some do it wrong, the ones that do get it wrong generally get a bit of lighthearted stick. Techy folk get the arse and go.

The decent sorts suck it up show their colours and become worthwhile members. Think it works pretty good.

yes you have a good point there cynic, I'm just thinking about some of the new members who are just a bit confused

and then the like's of me being off with them, could result in someone who found the right place for help not getting it

or enjoying the forum as much as I do, I'm certainly going to change my approach to this myself in the future

but think a simple header above the new topic button would help erase any confusion

I'm glad this subject has reared it's ugly head, because one of my pet hates is "ONE HIT WONDERS"

I know a lot of members including MODS don't agree with me, but I do think this should be sorted out once and for all.

It's so blatantly obviouse that when somebody comes into the intro section, asks a question, gets a comment from a regular they never come back again.

What annoys me most of all is that when one does come in and ask a question, somebody answers but you never hear from them again even a thanks.

Maybe I'm being an old git and might be mistaking what this forum is about, if so somebody please advise me,

• Like 1

i'm kinna at odds with this. My wife drives a VW Beetle and a wee while ago summit was wrong with it. I couldn't find the answer in the manual, so I went on a VW forum. Now looking through it, it wasn't the type of messageboard that interested me, actually no car forum interests me, but they may have had the answer I needed, so on I went, gave an intro then posted my question. I got a few replies, thanked them, and never returned. I'm probably in the wrong, but needed an answer to a problem I had, but otherwise had no interest in cars.

I don't think I'm a messageboard slut, but reading this back, who knows

I'm glad this subject has reared it's ugly head, because one of my pet hates is "ONE HIT WONDERS"

I know a lot of members including MODS don't agree with me, but I do think this should be sorted out once and for all.

It's so blatantly obviouse that when somebody comes into the intro section, asks a question, gets a comment from a regular they never come back again.

What annoys me most of all is that when one does come in and ask a question, somebody answers but you never hear from them again even a thanks.

Maybe I'm being an old git and might be mistaking what this forum is about, if so somebody please advise me,

I'm really glad to get your thoughts on this one mike, as you were the person who answered my intro back in November last year

my intro read not really a new topic hi, which is my whole point, granted I didn't ask a stupid question but when the button you click on says start a new topic, people are bound to get confused, am I being really thick! can no one else see what I mean?

Big picture time people.

Dive into the site a little further and check out the post counts.

The forum has thousands of members the amount with more than 500 posts is small. With over a 1000 is tiny.

The main forum is maybe 20 hardcore members but those 1000's of drop ins mean the site owner gets more cash from ads and searches.

The forum is self is also an off the shelf format. Designed with moderator control. Some forums vet the first 5 or 10 posts and censor to the point of irritation with swears and such.

We are open. Its a motorcycle forum for motorcyclists. We are not bothered by the odd f or boob.

As i said earlier i think its a good filter as is. We have all passed it to be having this thread. Dont see any dufers?

thank's Cynic, I do see the big picture and how many regulars there are and I think its a shame that more people don't stick around long enough to even say thanks sometimes. I've not been a member that long myself and still learning.

When I first joined I'm not sure I posted an intro... I may have even asked a question about my XVS125? I know I never posted much for a while after, but I would regularly read the forum. Even now I'm on here everyday, sometimes I read and other times I post.

It'd be nice if everyone who came on here posted an intro and stayed active, but just because someone doesn't post doesn't mean they don't visit.

I thought I would throw in my position.

First question posters tend to P me off a bit and that is normally tempered by what else they write. I also get wound up by people posting workshop questions in the bar, people attempting to sell or ask for wanted items by trying to "smudge" this in their posts and people who post the same thing in loads of sections in the hope that they will get a better result.

That said, posting a question first; or most of the other things, can easily be remedied very quickly. The forum is still the best one I have ever come across on the tinterweb. It is active; is well regulated without a huge amount of set rules. There is a wealth of knowledge here and the banter can be amazing. All of the people I have physically met because of this forum have been jolly good fellows. Not one bad egg amongst them - that even includes Kev !!!!!!!!

For every person that comes on and posts, every now and again a new name pops up and they quickly fall in to what the forum is all about. I know from experience that they will check the forum too regularly, ignore people around them and amaze themselves on how their posts rack up.

It doesn't stop me from getting wound up at first, but who knows how many good members turn their backs on the forum due to a slight netiquette mistake on their first post?

There have been some great people join the forum from all over the world. Lets help this to grow. It allows us all to educate, learn and take the P.

Lets face it. What would we do with the time we spend here if the forum wasn't running??

That's about it really...............................Oh yeh, nearly forgot. If you haven't done so already, fill in your b00dy profile page, it is hard to help when we don't know what bike you have, what experience you have or even what country you are living in. :icon_wink:

• Like 1

Hi tommy, you never did reveal what your wifes vital stastistics were.

I think a little message during account registration might actually help. With some coding, you could even redirect the user to the new members area, there might even be a mod available already to do this. Though, I agree with Cynic's first point about it being being a pretty good character test.

I think with the amount of SMIDSY's out there a little bit of "come on fella tell us who you are" should just brush off. If you're gonna take offence at a polite request what is your attitude like when you're out riding?

Some people are perhaps a little too tightly strung!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I get pissed off In fact sometime's its Quite funny and often it's an honest mistake, I know when I first joined YOC my intro wasn't great. I found the (start a new topic button)

but thought starting a new topic isn't saying hello. I think its quite confusing when your new, if there was a

button that said (say hello here) it would be much simpler and we wouldn't see nearly so many questions in the new members area. I realize its the same layout for each forum and maybe can't change button title

on just one forum but maybe a heading above the button would help. anyone else got any idea's how to make it clearer to new members as know i'm guilty of being sarcastic to new members who may have made an honest mistake

you can`t change the people but... you can ignore they :)

I too get miffed off with the one post wonder but again its more about how they as it and what they say in the post. Same as Jimmy going onto the VW forum for advise and never going back, ive done the same with the Mini owners club. I do pop back now and then but i wouldn't call my self a "proper member"

If a new guy or gal comes to the YOC and just says "bike broken what do i do?" then they can lick chicken spunk off an egg but if they are more polite and actually give some information on whats gone wrong, what bike it is etc etc etc then im more inclined to try and help out if i can.

This rears it's head on a regular basis.

This forum is a community for people with a shared interest to connect, share and contribute. Doesn't matter how much or little you contribute to our community, so long as you actually contribute, get stuck in and get chatting with us.

It is NOT a free advice phoneline or a problem-solving help site for bikers. If that's all you want, download a manual, Google it like any normal human, or cough up and visit the mechanics who get actually get paid for such things.

If you simply show up expecting/demanding advice, you will be treated as if you'd just walked into a busy pub and asked the same question in a loud voice.

i made this mistake yesterday and for me it was more out of frustration at something i have struggled with trying to figure out for hours and run over in my mind numerous times, im just glad that Slice was kind enough to point this out and i was able to start on the right path with you guys and gals here

i made this mistake yesterday and for me it was more out of frustration at something i have struggled with trying to figure out for hours and run over in my mind numerous times, im just glad that Slice was kind enough to point this out and i was able to start on the right path with you guys and gals here

Crikey mate, I can understand why you made a mistake yesterday if your avitar is anything to go by. Congratulations.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online