main bearing removal...

Cynic
This post is 4064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok peeps after some ideas.

One of the main bearings stubbonly wont come off. Tried hot and cold. Trouble being i think the crank expands with the bearing so keeping it tight. You cant get the heat in the bearing without heating the crank.

I have been messing with it for a couple of days now. Its stopping me and pissing me off so i need some ideas.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope wont work.

The counterweights are alongside it. Maybe 2mm clearance. You cant get anything behind it thickeer than a feeler gague.

I will just have to take it in to the engineers that did the rebore. Doubt i can beg borrow or steal the kit for what they would charge to do it.

Is the crank out the casing, if so could you get in with a Dremel fitted with a cutting disk?

Is the crank out the casing, if so could you get in with a Dremel fitted with a cutting disk?

one slip then....... :eusa_doh:

this is what Paul was on about

R349724-01.jpg

or a new system which looks like it is a little turn key and wedges inside the ball races

http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-43136-large-insert-2114-65463

this is what Paul was on about

R349724-01.jpg

or a new system which looks like it is a little turn key and wedges inside the ball races

http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-43136-large-insert-2114-65463

If youre struggling, Ive got one of them you could borrow. Where abouts are you in the Middle of Middle England

Northampton......

Dont slip then...... :eusa_shifty:

Boilling hot water on the bearing then try pull it off quickly with something.

The boilling water heats the bearing first and expands it first before the heat reaches the crank,,,,, well thats whats supposed to happen.

if there is a thread in the other end of the crank, how about making a slide hammer and pulling the crank out of the bearing?

i cant really get an idea of exactly what it is you're trying to do, got any pics?

Thanks for the offer its appreciated.

The firm thats done the barrel said they can do it while i wait for a tenner. So i will call in sat morning.

70hr weeks suck.

Thanks for the offer its appreciated.

The firm thats done the barrel said they can do it while i wait for a tenner. So i will call in sat morning.

70hr weeks suck.

tell me about it :(

It’s probably off by now

But had the same prob with mine found that boiling water caused the heat to soak thro too much

For particular stubborn bearings

At work we use oxy/acet to heat up bearings (Not on motorcycles). Its flame produces a fast localized heat and we freeze the shafts down quickly

So at home a quick high heat on the bearing race with a plumbers propane torch and straight away a quick spray on the shaft and behind the bearing as best as I could with plumbers freeze spray with a straw on the nozzle for better direction

and off it popped (ish) with a little preload from some small electricians screwdrivers tapped in

Bearing in mind (no pun intended) my crank was out of the case

I already had a plumber’s torch and freezer spray can

If you haven’t it would have cost more than a tenner to buy anyway

But it’s just a thought for others that maybe stuck, and have these things in the shed

They did it this morning came off easy in there words.

From my point of view a bearing clamp and a 150T hydraulic press make a lot of jobs easy.

Did it for nowt too.

Worthy plug.......

Automotive services, Bunting road, Northampton.

They are mad busy. Allow at least 3 weeks but they are great blokes.

Well all for nowt.

In my haste to put it together i have fuct the threads on the primary driveside thread.

Im sick of it now this blow up has fought at every turn. It may well get stuffed at the back of the garage.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online