Silly idea

Cynic
This post is 4987 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This was something that poped into my head whilst on the road. Its primarily aimed at the 'Squires Crew' but its just a thought at the minute open to comment.

I was thinking that we are all over the country, which can be a bit of an issue, like Blackhat and BWJ in that wet cold bit on the top and Merv getting drunk on cheap cider down south.

What if, a big if at the moment the YOC did a top to bottom run. The old end to end jobbie. Maybe call it the smokey way down or something. And sorry i don't mean with the big old FJ's etc that could blast it in a day probably. I mean the old smokeys 250's 400's etc like we had at Squires to give it a bit of a spin. Maybe have a no motorway twist to it, use the 70's routes south.

The point being within reason we'd all go a similar distance. Merv's run up to start would be as tough as Blackhats getting home. You never know we might be able to raise some money out of it too.

Anybody think i'm drinking too much coffee? :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah its a silly idea, but aren't they usually the best ones?

The logistics would be fun, but if its all worked out, routes, stops, camping etc. It could be done B)

Erm......

Have you ever ridden to JoG ? It is the biggest dissapointment know to man, a post and a few overprice tat-shops.....

If you were to do this in the summen months, over say a week you might be able to make it interesting, but missing Motorways means negotiating the ubercrappy area around Leeds/Manchester/Blackpool for the trip north (and south), by ubercrappy I mean it's rubbish riding it - I've tried and to be honest I felt like ending it all at times!

I think you are better off organising a weekend meet somewhere central, and maybe allow us modern guys to come along and show you what it's like in the 21st century :lol:

Well weve got the Squires 2011. :D

Its just an idea, kind of get the ball rolling for next year. The one bona fidey certanty that was obvious at the squires is don't plan with sensible in mind.

You know more of the country better than most from a biking point of view Gas, any thoughts?

Erm......

Have you ever ridden to JoG ? It is the biggest dissapointment know to man, a post and a few overprice tat-shops.....

You're not wrong there! Was up that area this summer so me and Mrs KP (and Jasmine the Wonder Dachshund) took a swing by to finish our own LE-JOG (started in 1984!). What a shit-hole! Definitely deserving of the Plook on the Plinth.

As for the idea, yes it's silly.

That is all.

we could do it in aid of ,,,,,,,,,,,green piece,,,,:crylaugh: im up for it,maybe two or three days,not a week though.

Well if you google it its 850odd miles using the Mways in around 15 hours. So on a sexy new FJ you could do it in a very long day in one. Think the unnoficial record is close to single figures but strokers will die at that pace.

The only real arse ache (ha ha) is you effectively do twice the actual distance as you need to get to the start and back from the finish. So 1600miles, (probably more if the motorways are avoided) in 3 days on your smokey banana? With my angry wasp, Certainly possible.

Just thinking out loud(sort of) at the minute.

Hot of the MapSource press........

JoG to Lands end and back to JoG

Fastest possible time, using average speeds form real life (not the old, "I can do 120 up the M6" routeen) is 1679 miles in 26 hours... Bearing in mind that as time gets past the 18 or so mark you start to make daft mistakes, so you have no choice but to slow down.

Shortest route, is 1672 miles in 27 hours....

Not much in it.

I once rode 1600 miles in a day, stupidest thing I ever did (South of France to Portugal to Amsterdam). Between missing the wildlife in the early hours, and falling off the bike (yes, the comedy stop and forget to put your feet down thing) at the ferry port I said I'd never do it again. I suppose everyone has to find their limit though.

Last year I rode from Skye, to JoG to home in a single day (from 06:00ish to 23:00ish) and it was hard work (about this time last year actually). About 700 miles in one day.

I always thought a 'circumnavigation' was a bit more original, maybe a bike relay around the entire coast of the UK ??

hmmm,,:eusa_think: i was also toying with the idea of some kind of relay,how would that work?, still in aid of green piece,mind..

Edited by up.yours

hmmm,,:eusa_think: i was also toying with the idea of some kind of relay,how would that work?,

You are lining yourself up for some real obvious answers now....... :blink:

A GPS Tracker taken around the coastal roads would be the obvious answer, handed from bike to bike like a relay batton.

lets just go to the NW 200 and enjoy the criac! then we get get pissed and not worry aboot drink driving!

lets just go to the NW 200 and enjoy the criac! then we get get pissed and not worry aboot drink driving!

Thats what I'm thinkin Drew, 3 mates of mine went all the way to Monaco last year and came back skint, drained and very pee'd off that all they saw was motorway and tarmac, oh and some big toys and hot crumpet in Monaco that they could never afford-not in their wildest dreams :lol:

What about your 'other' idea Jason ;)

What about your 'other' idea Jason ;)

Would that be the one that leaves from Liverpool and gets you roughly half way across the Irish sea? June or August, or both??

A week on that wind blown rock is a bit much in a tent but a long weekend, sail out friday back monday would be good eh. Be no bother for Jim too.

This was something that poped into my head whilst on the road.

Yeh jase" keep thinking, im keen for anything,B) , I like England better tho [ waarmer:D ] coast - or summat. That John o" G is a long barren ride, after inverness, And thers lack of fuel stations up the top of Scotland,[ esp, two-stroke;);) ] Plenty of time to plan summat, and NW.200 also, thats early in season, so plenty time after that, B)

Oh Jammer" i see Denny won the Pluke Award at some time :D

where the fu-- hell is craggy bloody island..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its just passed the trees on the edge of the coast near the Congo !

:lol: :lol: :blink:

ha bloody ha,thanks pat.

:thumb::icon_biggrin:

Father Ted, Dougle and Jack, they hang out on this little Island. There seemes to be nothing but sheep and big stones,,(oh and stone ditches) there.

Its off the coast of IRE down south somewhere !

just a bit of fun m8 B)