Another new toy, with a twist.

wild foamy
This post is 2493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You know what I mean! 

Picking up an XS400 donor bike next week, will rob it of its calipers and stick it on evilbay unless someone else wants parts from it. 

On the plus side, brake light now works and it has a horn, so other than brakes and the charging issue it's kinda there. 

Is a stand needed for MOT? It currently hasnt got one, and mounting points have been cut off... Was just planning to lean it against stuff when I needed to park, 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Come on where's the flat tracker updates? :)

Don't think it needs a stand for the MOT but it's going to be a bugger to check the wheel and swing arm bearings without one..! Not your problem mate. :lol:

I'll take a padlock stand with me, don't want the tester to think I'm some knob. 

Currently in PayPal battles with the guy who sold me a Kawasaki front wheel and calipers claiming it was from an XS, turning out to be more of a pain in the ass now. 

In addition to that, need to find myself a wiring diagram to have a look at why it isn't charging. 

• Like 1

If its a flat track racer it may not have any charging system.

Could be running total loss from the battery.

21 hours ago, wild foamy said:

I'll take a padlock stand with me, don't want the tester to think I'm some knob. 

Currently in PayPal battles with the guy who sold me a Kawasaki front wheel and calipers claiming it was from an XS, turning out to be more of a pain in the ass now. 

In addition to that, need to find myself a wiring diagram to have a look at why it isn't charging. 

Foamy if you take a pad lock stand he'll defo think your a knob

• Haha 1

Found this site Foams, guy made his own diagram for the XJ550 http://www.lumien.se/the-yamaha-xj-550-fully-interactive-electrical-diagram/

This takes you straight to it http://www.lumien.se/stuff/xj550/XJ550ElectricalDiagram.html

Best interactive wiring diagram I have ever seen, well the only one actually..!

BUGGER ..! there I was thinking I had cracked it :shakeno:  DOH.! Still a great wiring diagram for all that.

:thumb:It is that Slice, the guy I got my xjr from is building a xj550 so I'll pass the link on to him

• Like 1

Haven't been to the unit for a few weeks, I'll probably get around to having a play this weekend, even if I can't resolve the charging issue it's not like I'm running headlights etc so might be able to get away with plugging the optimate in every night. 

its probably running a field coil charging system.

it needs a healthy battery to charge the coil up and then get power.

the other system like the xs650 use brushes which wear.

there was some TX500 stuff in motorcycle mechanics lately, not sure which issues

More of a early go that was just not quite finished. The XS is more what the TX became after the troubleshooting, at least that's my understanding.

Basically the same bike John apart from styling which I prefer the TX, the're the bikes all the bike builders tell you to steer clear of as you just can't get the parts and issue with the cracking heads although it was sorted on later models so if its not gone by now its probably fine. Is a cracking looking bike though foams :D

2 hours ago, Cynic said:

The XS is more what the TX became after the troubleshooting, 

Fek me, they must have just stuck XS badges on my TX then cos that still displayed every symptom in the troubleshooting pages of the haynes books of lies.....Burn the Witch

24 minutes ago, Tommy xs said:

Is a cracking looking bike though foams :D

I'll give you that Tommo, great looking bike

14 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Is the Tx 500    the same as the XS500   Dreps ? ,,,,,

yep, tx more usa focussed 500a and 500b models, XS more European based

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online