YBR 125 stalling with clutch in??

coldphoenix1
This post is 2654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section, I'm new to this site but desperately need advice. It all started about a week or two ago, I got my ignition barrel changed on my YBR 125 and since then the bike has been struggling to go into neutral, it isn't smooth at all although changing between gears is fine and it's been running perfectly. Anyway, I've had this issue before and it was just that the clutch cable was too loose, so I figured maybe it got loosened during the ignition change, so I thought nothing of it and adjusted the cable today. When I adjusted it the engine was switched off, but I tried flicking it in and out of neutral and it was smooth so I thought it was okay. Went to an appointment tonight - not okay! At every single red light the bike kept stalling; I would drop it into 1st gear and wait with the clutch in, like I always do, and for a few seconds it would carry on running, but then it would stall. It did this at every light with people behind me, so in the end I kept revving it just to stop it stalling (which was a pain because the bike kept wanting to move forward at a red light...) Anyway, after my appointment I adjusting the cable again, thinking I'd just done it wrong the first time. I turned the engine on and tried putting it in and out of gear and letting it run while I was parked up, it was still struggling to go into neutral but it wasn't stalling anymore, so I just decided to get home. It was running fine, but about halfway home I hit a red light and again, it was fine for a few seconds and then stalled. I got home and just saw on the drive with it in gear, running, clutch in, brake on just like I'd been doing on the road, but after staying like that for a couple of minutes it didn't stall, it was perfectly fine. So... any suggestions? I'm hoping it is just the clutch cable needs adjusting, but what I don't understand is why it's okay and then cuts out after a few seconds, rather than just stalling as soon as I stop moving?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated as it's supposed to get me to work tomorrow! Thank you!!  

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You say you had a new ignition barrel fitted, could be that the clutch cable has been rerouted during this hence it acting like it's out of adjustment

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

You say you had a new ignition barrel fitted, could be that the clutch cable has been rerouted during this hence it acting like it's out of adjustment

Possibly... I wouldn't know how to fix that though! Is it an easy fix?

Probably, if you know where it was before.... Post up some pics and we'll see

4 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Probably, if you know where it was before.... Post up some pics and we'll see

I tried, the files are too big and I tried to reduce them but you can't really see anything OTL

What is it I'm looking for? Maybe I could try to just get a smaller picture of that? The cable loops down the front of the bike, through the bars at the front and into the bike's body... but exactly what it's attached to and how I can't see clearly. 

Not familiar with the bike, but I assume its a wet clutch

When was the oil last changed. Whats the mileage and do you have any history on the cluthc plates being replaced. Have you tried slipping into neautral while sat at the lights. Are you adjusting the clutch according to the owners amnual. Have you oiled the clutch cable in ints outer sleeve

26 minutes ago, neversaydie said:

Not familiar with the bike, but I assume its a wet clutch

When was the oil last changed. Whats the mileage and do you have any history on the cluthc plates being replaced. Have you tried slipping into neautral while sat at the lights. Are you adjusting the clutch according to the owners amnual. Have you oiled the clutch cable in ints outer sleeve

It was serviced middle of last year so oil change would have been then, I think it's on about 7000 miles off the top of my head and the clutch has never been worked on. It was struggling to go into neutral at the lights, I tried slipping in and out when I got home after I'd adjusted the cable and going into neutral was still very stiff, coming out was okay though. I haven't oiled the cable since it got changed a couple of years ago and I've just been adjusting it as I've been shown in the past but will double check it against the manual 

Always start with the cheapest possible remedy first. Disconnect the cable at the bars, and oil it. I make a funnel out of blue tack, squeeze it on around the ferrule, hang the cable up, and fill the funnel with engine oil. Overnight, the oil should run down the cable inner and out at the bottom.

Next cheapest is an oil change. 

• Like 1

Fixed it! I got the manual out and tried adjusting the cable again... I screwed up the free play bit, was measuring the wrong thing! But after playing around I got it right, so it must have been that I'd adjusted it too lose and it wasn't catching the clutch. 

Anyway, thank you for all your advice guys, much appreciated :)

• Like 2

Regarding the upload limit.

If you have a share function on tumblr then just copy the img tag (on photobucket, it is the link entitled 'direct'), then click on Insert other media > Insert image from url > paste > insert into post

Halloween%20Yam_zps6jjgjybm.jpg

• Like 1

I remember them 750"s  jim , a mate bought one new,   it used to lock the back wheel [ down shifting into corners] shafty they are  .  i was on the back, 

scarey,  18 we were,  this was the start of the 4 stroke erra,  

• Like 2

I thought Vincent were still trading when you were 18 john,:P

6 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

I remember them 750"s  jim , a mate bought one new,   it used to lock the back wheel [ down shifting into corners] shafty they are  .  i was on the back, 

scarey,  18 we were,  this was the start of the 4 stroke erra,  

I don't know if it is because I'm drunk, but I'm reading this in a Pirate accent

• Like 4

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online